Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How fast are them sportsmans going?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 02:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast are them sportsmans

Has anyone else had there speedometer's quit working on their 500's with very little miles on the machine.The km's don't rack up and the needle doesn't move on mine.I'm a long ways from a dealer so any info on what I could try and do to solve this problem would be very much welcome.I was in contact with a dealer but you know the story it could be this or it could be that so bring it in,and we'll see if the extended warranty covers it.Actually there's another whole topic,extended warranty is it a bunch bull or is it worth getting?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]------500HO x

Old 02-21-2003, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default How fast are them sportsmans going?

Is there power getting to the speedo (does the backlight come on, and the odometer display light up)? If it displays the miles traveled, but doesn't add any, the first thing I would check would be the speed sensor. This is basically a little sensor by the wheel, that reads the little holes drilled in the brake disk. I am not sure which side it is on, but if you take off the front wheels, it will be easy to spot.
Look for:
torn wire from sensor
sensor pulled loose by a stick or something (it has to run VERY close to the disk but not touch it)
mud or crud in the holes in the brake disk (it reads distance/speed by counting these holes).

If that doesn't help you out any, let me know what you DO find, and I'll try to help.

Farmr

Old 02-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Range Rover

Mine just went out about a month ago and yes my extended warranty covered it but some warranties are different. I still had to pay a $25 deductible on a $50 part, saved me $25. In my extended warranty it had the speedometer listed as a warranty item but made no mention of the speed sensor, they still covered it ( I expectded to here a loophole excuse that the part was not specifically listed, just the speedometer) I also got tie rod ends and swing arm bushings at the same time so it did save me more than $25.

Old 02-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for replying,on my speedo the needle doesn't move nor does it rack up the miles.I have looked at the sending unit and everthing seems to be in like new condition(1000km's).After saying this everything else works on the speedo,light,digital display and hour meter.I guess I'll get ready for a long drive to the dealer, seeing as it's not much good to have a new bike with a broken speedo.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]---500Ho X