Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

what do you look for on used sportsman 500's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 10:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you look for on used sportsman 500's?

what are things that you would look for on used sportsman 500's and 500ho's? and what things tend to need attention orlooked at often?

Old 02-24-2003, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

Engine doesn't smoke when started.
Starter and battery are solid
Front hubs engage and release properly
No slop in the steering post
Wheels don't wobble - which can be a bent axle or bent wheel. Check in 4x4 and 2x4
hubs are not dry - check for oil at 5oclock - look for metal. Should be green or red.
grease fittings should show some sign of grease - also in the U joints etc. - reflects being serviced
CV boots not torn
brake pads not worn to nothing
If its full of mud, like behind the side panels, the owner didn't take very good care of it.
look for damage to speedometer ring - means it was rolled
Speedometer works - lights up?
lights work - brake light works?
winch works ? Freewheels?
runs up to about 50+
look for signs of the frame being pulled - paint cracked etc.
front A frames are not damaged
Cooling fan starts after warming up?
Tracks straight with little pull to either side
Handelbars are not bent
Brake, throttle mounted solid
Brake foot peddle is solid
Brakes are smooth and solid - not mushy
look at the bottom, is the frame worn dented or crushed from bottoming out on rocks?
Is the aircleaner and air compartment spotless?
do you see antifreeze in the bottle?
Is the oil clean and full? Ask to see the oil and service records.
When were the valves last adjusted?
Tires - 1000 miles and they should still be like new - or 80%
Look for leaking front hubs - there will be oil on the inside of the wheel.
Look at the frame tubes under the foot rests and in the back - are they plugged with mud or clean?
Steering tight?

Good luck

FWIW

Old 02-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

About all I can think of to add would be grab each wheel and try and wiggle it. Try and wiggle the top in and out, as well as side-to-side play. On the Sportsmans, I recommend doing it on all 4 wheels. This is easiest to do with the machine jacked up off the ground. If you feel looseness, have a buddy wiggle while you look. The seller will probably do this for you if they are the honest sort. Don't sweat tie rod ends, they are known to work loose, are easy to replace, and the new replacement ones are far better than the older ones. Worry a little about looseness in the A-arms, both front and rear, where they attatch to the frame. Not a big deal, but if the machine was greased regularly, it should go quite a ways before any looseness shows (I had 5000 miles before I notied ANY looseness at all in the front end of my Xplorer. I have 7200 and it is still just barely wiggles. Keep in mind I grease mine VERY religiously, with the best grease I can find, though.) The bushings are not all that expensive, and aren't that hard to replace, but if you find a little play, it might give you a little more bargaining power.
Worry more about: looseness in a wheel in all directions, which doesn't seem to be coming from loose suspension components. This means bad wheel bearings. The rear ones are less of a worry than the front. In reality, the front bearings should NEVER get loose, if the hub fluid has been maintained properly. The rear bearings do wear out (they don't run in oil, and there is no way to add grease to them, when the grease dries out, they need replacing). As long as there is no 'clunk' a little looseness in the rear wheels is OK, just keep in mind you will need new bearings, and the sooner the better.
Lastly, check the weephole at the water pump seal. This is a tiny little hole drilled in the casting, below the water pump, pointing straight down. Just follow the hoses from the radiator, and you will be able to figure where the water pump is. One hose will come out of the top of the engine, the other down lower. It is right where the lower hose attatches to the engine. These go about forever on a trail machine, and wear out quickly in one buried frequently in gooey mud. Sometimes, it is just a little damp, but that is the start of a leak.
Good luck,
Farmr

Old 02-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

My front wheels wiggle from left to right on my Scrambler. Does that mean my bearings are bad? I always thought some movement was normal.

Old 02-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

My front Scrambler wheels were also a bit loose. I took the hub cap off and tightened the nut to spec. That fixed all movement and the 4x4 works flawlessly.