Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

your best Sportsman modification

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your best Sportsman modification

ON MY O2 H.O. I have a ton of things but the best were The Fog lights. Which are 55 watts and were small enough to set on the outside of the two exsisting ones. But they are way brighter than the stockers up front. Another great thing was the The triple headlight switch I put on my console I did it myself with just a little wire and a chrome red dot switch. Total price was like 4.00 and I have two of them chrome red dot switches on my console one for Triple Light and one for fog light. At night time its like day with all five on and coming head on it the sweetest sight. Another great add on was the extended mud flaps all the way around but that was a bit more costly. But even with all the lights on hand warmers on High and in fourwheel drive I have no problems powering in even using the winch plowing. But at Idle it will dim down. The only time I use the Pod light is faster trail riding other wise in the woods the Fog Lights Are untouchable.

As Far as clutch mods. I am not in the mood to spend money on different kits until I find the right one. To many different answers everywhere. So If someone really knows a good clutch kit for the H.O. Share, I do want one. But Still Very Unsure.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2003, 09:25 AM
Trailblazer

wolf will the air intake snorkle of the 700 fit on the 500 H.O. it is much better and tucks way up high , it probably won"t but I was just hoping cause that set-up is sweet compared to my 04 H.O.or know of another way to get it higher without serious cutting and hacking

Old 05-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

Goos stuff, I'm going to be busy.......

Old 05-05-2003, 02:31 PM
Trailblazer

sportfish, Don't know if it will fit but I cut mine where it necks down & added rubber piece to snorkel up as high as stock. Now it is the larger size from end to end. aLSO CUT OPUT THE "LIP" ON THE INSIDE OF BOX WHERE IT ATTACHES... Damn cap lock...

Old 05-05-2003, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer

I would have to agree with Wolfhound. Get a Heelclicker clutch kit. you will love it. Grabs your belt and eliminates the slightest slipping
You will use much less of low range also. I ride trails and it is great, you can feel more torque on the ground instead of clutch slipping. less slipping means less heat and better belt life. just my 2 cents worth

Old 05-05-2003, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

wolfhound;thanks for your input'I'll probably trk something like that. I'll tell you something else that works great I just picked up one of those small swimming pools someone was throwing out the 24" or 36' deep kind the outer wallwas plastic.This stuff works great and is about the same as the plastic polaris uses for their CV boot guards,Anyhow made a nice skid plate for my kids 03 sportsman 90 and anice splash guard for my 500 inside the left fender behind the oil tank.It works really well to keep that inicial splash from going in the belt drive.and when heated with atorch you can bend it to fit.thanks P.S the 2004 SP 500 H.O. oil tanks are made out of hard plastic ,I'm a little scared about this ,what do you think?

Old 05-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

I have made 2 easy upgrade on my 01 SP500HO that are worth their weight in gold, the 1st was reverse overide bypass, no rev limiter or buttons to push, the 2nd was installing SP700 rear springs in place of the SP500 ones. Stiffens the machine up, handles better, but still rides great.

Old 05-06-2003, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

I like the idea of overriding the little yellow button and using it for a horn. What's the wire color code? Is there a control module your providing a signal to? ( I really need to find a schematic for the 600/700 ) Anyway, some great idea's.......

Old 05-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer

sportfish
I don't like the idea of A plastic oil tank either but it should disperse heat faster (?). Haven't heard of it being a problem yet...

Old 05-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

Wish I could help you Lovemud, but mine is a 01 Sp500ho, the wiring on an 02 SP700, and an 03 Sp500 that I looked at is different than mine. Go to you local dealer and buy a service manual, they usually have all schematics.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Quick Reply: your best Sportsman modification