Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

your best Sportsman modification

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your best Sportsman modification

Is there a recomendation for high elevation set-up? / Lighter weights than what you install? Guidlines for high elevation?
I understand that you add or remove the threaded bolts and washers, but it there a starting (base) guideline.
I know there is for snowmobiles.....and I understand that the 500 kit will work on my HO, and ny new 04 400 Sp
but there has to be a different baseline as these two machines are different in the torque curve.

I ride @ 7,000'- to 10,000'...Heck at My home elevation is 6,700'[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

Rickster have you tried any other weight set-ups, such as the 1.2 4.3 4.3 they use on the 600 and 700 macchines and wondering how it would work on the 500H.O ???

sagecrusher I'm not a mechanic but I think If your machines are jetted for where you live,then the suggested heelclicker set up would work well and I think the 400 and 500 sportsman are close enough to use this setupit works prettygood in my 04 500H.O. stock primary spring and heelclicker secondary,I think you would like it,,grabs real well of the line and I had other clutch kits that were a big waste of money,so I was very skeptical I would really like to here from any one that has tried different heelclicker set ups on the 500H.O.

Old 06-07-2003, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

Sportfish
no I have never tried any other setup. I talked to Dan (heelclicker Dan) and he said for the 500 that this the best setup. so to be honest I have never had the interest in taking it all back down just to try it. LOL call me lazy but it works great at the 500 setup for me.
Wait till you get a chance to go play in the trails. That is where I notice the best performance.

SageCrusher
Just like Sportfish said I really dont think that elavation makes a big difference in the clucth kit. If you have them properly jetted for the elavation then you should be good as gold.

Old 06-08-2003, 01:13 AM
Range Rover

I have to disagree, just based on my higher elevation I cannot pull as much weight as you can at a lower elevation. In the owners manual there is a clutching chart, for 0-6,000' and 6'000' to 10'000'

Yes Jetting does effect on how the machine will run, but I make Less Horsepower at my elevation as the air is thinner. I can jet for the elevation (leaner), so I have to adjust in the clutching.

When I ride my snowmobile back east I have to Re-jet to a richer main, and I can pull heaver weights, due to the larger fuel jetting..(and elevation).. air has denseity.

Anyone,,agree ? disagree?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2003, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

sagecrusher ,you are right I forgot about that ,I bet if you ever get a hold of Dan at heelclicker you will be able to get it figured out ,I'm almost certain it will work for you ,even if you do try the suggested settings and they are not quite right its very adjustable .But i do know most people go back to the stock spring or some like the polaris white spring instead of the 2 that come with it.

Old 06-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Range Rover

Sportfish-
what combo did you finally end up with? How much weight are you applying--Which washers and bolt combo.

I don't think that the smaller 400 will pull the weight that the 500 will--there is a big difference in power
Stock vs stock and both with EBS--but the 500 is a High output (HO)

I have left several messages with Dan, but no return's tomy call [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2003, 09:31 AM
Trailblazer

sagecrusher,,I am running the suggested setup for 500H.O. which is 1.2 in the shoulder and no other weight,which is hardly anything,but the heelclicker arms are already heavier than the stock ones a little', I know when you call them I had to let it ring along time till the machine picked up and it won't let you leave amessage so i called over and over again till I got someone.I do agree they could do a much better job with this,but Dan always returned my emails.I still think you would like the system at least on your 500H.O.

Old 06-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Trailblazer

mtpockets exactly what kind of cup holder is it I need something for on my 500H.O. and my boat are they sturdy and hold can well if so where can they be purchased and did you put it on the handlebars???

Old 06-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sportfish,

i bought the RAM cupholder from Highlifter. it's very adjustable, durable, and self-leveling. the little cup insulator has WWW.ram-mount.com written on it so you may wish to check-out their website!

just a word of caution. when transporting your ATV at high speeds, you will want to remove the blue foam cup insulator or it will take-off in the wind! LOL

MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]