Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

your best Sportsman modification

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your best Sportsman modification

Actually, I went out and picked up a polaris shop manual that has the schmatic. There's a problem, If I bypass my override button I also lose control of the functions on my POD. This is going to take a little head scratching and a few beers to figure out where/how to do the surgury.......

I'll post it when I figure it out.

Old 05-09-2003, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

there's some interesting programing on the new sportsman's. I put a switch in to control my overide and discovered a nice diagnostic mode that shows voltage and engine rpm. If you leave the switch on it still flashes SLOW in reverse and HNDLBR - thats a built in fault to tell you the switch is stuck. With a toggle switch I can still cycle thru the display on the POD and I can leave it on when plowing or running in reverse trying to get away from bears ect.......
Now I can put a nice ouugaa horn on the handlebar too...

the color code is grey /or and brown 24 ga wire (the schematic show pur wire instead of brown - they must of ran out of pur wire, or the hired a colorblind person to build the harneses)

Old 05-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

Had a fab shop build a 3/16 thick aluminum skid plate for the entire length of the frame. After replacing the frame TWICE I had to do something to stiffen it up a bit.

Old 05-15-2003, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Gordy, If you don't mind - where did the frame fail?

Old 05-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer

At the points where the A-arms attach to the frame, bent one side and broke the weld on the other. 1st time the front second time the rear. Dealer called it abuse..... considering the fact that the frame was replaced twice within 10 hours of operation, I'm thinking it could stand to be beefed up a bit.

Old 05-16-2003, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

Rock climbing?

Old 05-24-2003, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

I must apologize, a couple of you sent me private messages but unfortunately I didn't realize that once they have been opened they disappear. If you still need an answer please send it again.
Once again I apologize.

Old 05-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

what weight setups have you tried and which one do you like best ,I should have my heelclicker in aabout aweek,I also have a500H.O. 2004 hope the kit takes away the slow takeoff lag,but I think I might retain the stock primary spring,cause i don't want a higher engagement RPM

Old 05-25-2003, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

sportfish

I used the stock primary spring and the heelclicker secondary spring. I used the 500 HO recomended setup which was to just add the weights to the shoulder of the weight. It works great and I love it. you will notice a significant difference on take off.

Old 05-26-2003, 10:30 AM
Trailblazer

are the setups included in the box and are the instructions good or do i need to print the pictures off the website.One last thing can the clutch cover be removed without taking the foot board off and fendser loose

Quick Reply: your best Sportsman modification