Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris/Victory Oil Filter Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2000, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I looked at the Pennzoil brand also. The local K-Mart sells those. The Fram meets or exceeds all auto manufactures specs. So, I don't think that changing the oil and filter regularly that any damage will occur. Now,if you only change it evey other year,that might be a different story with quality of the filter.

Old 05-04-2000, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

I did a little bit more research and the following filters should also fit.

Car Quest 85358 $8.05 (actually a wix filter)

Wix 51358 Not available in Minnesota

The Deutch filter which Mudmachine originally referred to has been highly ranked by independent sources, but is also not available in Minnesota.

If we are changing these filters every 20 hours on an atv and 50 hours on a motorcycle just how well do they have to be engineered? I have a generator without a filter and they say to change that every 50 hours.

Old 05-04-2000, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

Well,
for those of you who aren't able to get access to the DEUTCH Filter for a reasonable price.. Shadetree ATV sells EMGO filters for Polaris ATV's at $5.99 each.... I realize that not much of a savings unless you buy several and own more than one Polaris 4 stroke. The advertisement says thatif you buy atleast 3 filters, they will knock off 10%... buy 6 and they will knock off 20%... So, if you have the money to spend, there ARE savings to be had.
Thor,
I've heard of buddies running Rotella in their Hondas.. I personally wouldn't just because of the wet-clutch, but as for any other reason... Why not? I am going to experiment with Penzoil 10-40 and see if it hurts the engine.. If it does, thats my excuse to the girlfriend as to why I'm putting a higher compression Weisco piston and different camshaft in it.. hahahahaa..
See, ALWAYS THINKIN!!....

Old 05-05-2000, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

mudmachine,

You sure must have a lot of time on your hands! Just how long will it take to determine if that Pennzoil is causing any engine damage? The kind of wear evident from a poor oil will almost take an engine lifetime to show up. Do you have some magical accelerated lifetime testing that you do? Between oil filter testing and now oil testing, you will have no spare time in the next 10 years. Call us in 2010 when the testing is complete and let us know how it went...

DJ

Old 05-05-2000, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

deej,
Yeah... I have access to the most sophisitcated oil analysis equipment that is on the market today...
Its made by the " Real Riding Time at Local Mudruns" Company. Thats a subsiderary company of "Oops, I Flipped it in a Mudhole Inc." Which USED to be all one large company named " Why DOESN'T My ATV Stay Running Under Water" That was a NON-Profit orginization set-up and run by a mysterious group of Eskimo's from South Texas. But, as with everything else, they were forced to disband and split into several different companies by the United States Postal Services... You know how those letter carriers get when you start shipping deep-fried penguins with a six pack of Bud-Light thru the mail.... They end up having to MACE Dogs and Humans alike...
Deej... Did that answer your question?...

Old 05-06-2000, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

mudmachine,

Yup, questions answered, pretty much in the same fashion as they were asked! I think I read about those test methods in Popular Science a few years ago ...

DJ