Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki Ozark clutch removal ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki Ozark clutch removal ??

I am in the process of replacing the multi plate clutch. I have the clutch cover off and my issue is that the centrifugal clutch looks like it would be in my way to remove the multiplate clutch. Also, how to I block the motor so I can remove the bolt in the center of the clutch cage? I have been looking for a youtube video, but no luck. Please advise. Thanks.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Never done an Ozark but the centrifugal has to come off first on an Eiger, in fact, on every quad clutch I have rebuilt. I have an air impact wrench which rattles the central nuts off, no problem, but I'm sure workshop manuals will show strange and expensive "clutch holding tools" for removing and re-fitting when using a normal socket and bar. I have a feeling the centrifugal may have a LH threaded nut, so getting a workshop manual could be a good idea.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:20 AM
Trailblazer

I have the manual and it does show a LH thread. It does also show an ugly special tool for $140. I do have an impact gun. Is that the way I should go? You have done this before without destruction? Thanks.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The impact gun will be fine. I bet there isn't one real mechanic out there that uses that goofy clutch holding tool.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LT80
I bet there isn't one real mechanic out there that uses that goofy clutch holding tool.
We had all the dealer tools for Ktm,Polaris,Ducati and Husqvara including the clutch basket holders and they just collected dust on the wall. Clutch holders were for those folks that just had to torque clutch baskets down to the manual specs or didn't own air tools.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys. It came right off with a shot of air. Thanks.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

You do need to know how far to go when tightening again, you don't want to strip the thread, but you don't want the clutch coming loose either. Did a Honda DCT Auto last week, the DC has a hex built into the cover plate so you can hold it with a spanner, I used a torque wrench, the mark on the nut where it was peened over exactly matched. The centrifugal has nothing to hold it, so got the air wrench treatment, the mark on the nut was a third of a turn further, so will be slightly over-torqued, and I spent years on a production line tightening things with an air wrench.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:45 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I am wondering how the hell I'm going to get the torque right on this. The centrifugal has to go to 101 ft/lbs and the multi-plate clutch needs to go to 50 ft /lbs. Now I know why the manual has you key it with a center punch. But, we looked at the nut and there was no markings anywhere on it. Maybe a strap wrench? I bought the EBC clutch plate tool. Maybe that can hold the multi-plate clutch.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

I purchased a set of torque sticks to add on to the impact wrench. They are for tightening lug nuts to the proper torque. I think that will work.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

OK, we are finally getting this closed up on this. I have a question about the cover. The cover seems to be a touch springy. The last 1/8 of an inch or so, the cover gives a little resistance. I can push the mating surfaces together, but have to put a little force into it. Is it the clutch adjuster pushing on the pin? Or should this cover rest fully closed with no effort and just stay there? I need to push the cover to keep the mating surfaces together. Thanks.