Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Do I need to split the case to clean the bottom end since my piston skirt broke?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to split the case to clean the bottom end since my piston skirt broke?

Hello all, I was recently riding my 1995 polaris scrambler 400 (no mods) at near full speed when I started to lose power and within a few seconds my engine seized. I disassembled the top end, and found that one side of the piston was broken off, and there was a good few ounces of metal crumbs in the exhaust, cylinder, and case. My cylinder isn't too beat up, and should be fine with a slightly oversized piston and a bore. I flushed the bottom end with diesel numerous times after pulling most of the crumbs out, but I'm wondering if its important to completely disassemble the bottom end to check for damage. There is no play in the rod bearing, and it turns over with ease. I'm really leery to pull the entire engine and rip into it if I don't have to. Also while I have the top end off, any recommended mods?

Old 06-05-2019, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

It needs taken aoart for complete insoection and cleaning or. Your gonna be doing it again! Never cut corners on a rebuild. ...

Old 06-07-2019, 01:13 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As soon as I saw, "my piston skirt broke" I thought it must be a 400. They were notorious for that. There's no telling what's going on in the bottom end if you don't tear it apart and do a proper inspection. And when you buy a new piston make sure it's forged like Wiseco and not cast if you don't want this to happen again.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
It needs taken aoart for complete insoection and cleaning or. Your gonna be doing it again! Never cut corners on a rebuild. ...
Does the case actually need to be split? Or could the case be removed from the atv and cleaned/flushed and inspected without splitting the case?

My concern would be the bearings could have metal parts embedded in them and that would cause wear after the top end is rebuilt. But maybe the bearings could be flushed out.

My thought is that once you split the case after an event like this for an inspection you might as well just replace the bearings and the seals.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I've cleaned them after the same situation. W/O teardown you do take a chance.
Personally, after all the cleaning you did, I'd think it's good.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:18 PM
TFW
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Case split.

Years ago l destroyed a piston in a IT400 Yamaha l cleaned all the crumbs out just like you did the only thing l did different was l turned the engine up side down an washed the bottom end out with WD-40 spray as l rolled the engine over so l could feel any rough spots in the bearings, no problem with the new top end. The goofy thing was what caused the failure in the first place all l had done was changed to a aftermarket air filter. That was enough extra air flow to lean out the mixture. "Pop no more piston top" Good luck with what ever you do.
Tom Wecas in WY