1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

2020 Gio blazer 125 very little power in forward but power in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2024 | 03:24 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 2020 Gio blazer 125 very little power in forward but power in reverse

Hey, I have a 2020 Gio Blazer 125 with single speed forward and reverse. On flat ground, it drives fine but is starting to get harder to get going. On trails, slight hill or in a little mud, it has hardly any power in forward, just bogs. In reverse though, it'll spin the tires and accelerate no problem. Any ideas on what may be causing this?

Old 09-29-2024 | 03:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

"Bogs" as in engine slows and stalls, or just the bike slows down but engine continues to rev?

Old 09-29-2024 | 03:58 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

It doesn't stall, just bogs, low rpm rev and doesn't have the power/torque to move on any terrain that isn't flat, and even on flat/hard ground, it definitely is sluggish to get going. The problem seems to be getting worse and worse too.

Old 09-30-2024 | 03:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Can't see how an engine can loose power going forwards but not backwards, though the gearing is sometimes lower in reverse. Try pushing the bike backwards in neutral then forwards, if a brake is binding, it can sometimes be in one direction, especially drum brakes. Some have rev limiters for reverse, so a wiring fault can make it work the opposite way, putting the limiter on when going forwards instead. If it was doing the same in both directions, I would change the plug and if that didn't cure it, clean the carb out.

Old 09-30-2024 | 06:17 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, in neutral, it feels the same both ways. Brakes don't appear to be binding, doesn't appear to be bearings. I did a oil change yesterday and adjusted the clutch which might have made a slight improvement but there is still something not right. The engine seems to be running fine. Could it be the clutch going bad? Or something with the transmission?

Old 09-30-2024 | 06:22 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

For the rev limiter, do you know where to check? I know it has a digital speedometer and there is a speed sensor on the rear sprocket. You can go pretty fast in both forward and reverse but in forward, there just isn't any torque if that makes sense.

Old 10-01-2024 | 02:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If they have one, the reverse limiter works off the gearchange mechanism, usually the reverse warning light or indicator, this feeds the CDI with a signal to limit revs when in reverse. The clutch would slip in reverse as well as forwards. Very few transmission problems can cause your symptoms, a bad bearing that puts more strain on the mechanism in one direction perhaps. Not sure what a Gio 125 is, Gios used to be two strokes, but smaller. They had belt drive CVT, forwards only, as the engine was made for scooters. Any reverse was an add on, either fitted behind the CVT or in the rear axle.

Old 10-01-2024 | 06:42 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

This is the same atv I have, https://gvabrands.com/products/gio-b...14274475196482

that's what I'm wondering if there is something limiting revs, does that work based off speed? Cause once it gets going, it's not bad.
it almost seems as if there is some sort of traction/torque limiting on it. but maybe it was meant for reverse and was mixed up.
I also have a older tao tao atv and we kinda call that thing a "death trap" as it's easy to roll, etc. This new Gio has a nice wide stance so it's very stable and seems alot safer to ride than the older atv. So having some sort of rev limiter built in could be a possibility. I just don't know how to either fix it so it's on reverse only or disable it. In reverse, it actually can be a little scary as it is super torquey and fast.

Old 10-02-2024 | 03:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Does it have a gear indicator on the dash? If so the wire(s) from the reverse indicator switch will have a feed to the CDI if it has a rev limiter. Those details you linked to don't tell much. 125cc four strokes are usually Honda Cub clones, though the GY6 used to be popular which, again being a scooter engine, had an "afterthought" reverse mechanism when fitted to ATVs.

If you are stuck, find someone with a lot of experience, you get to know the difference between clutch slip, a fuel, or an electrical fault, just by the feel when riding. Not an exact science, but it often saves a lot of time.

Old 10-02-2024 | 06:10 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Yes is does have an gear indicator, I should be able to find a way to disconnect it and see if that makes a difference hey? I wonder if the wire for the Drive (forward) indicator is feeding the CDI instead of the Reverse indicator wire? Im pretty sure it is a Honda gy6 clone. There definitely is a shortage of information on this ATV. I do have some stuff to look into this weekend though. Thanks for the help.