Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Can Sports quads handle mountain trails.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Sports quads handle mountain trails.

Guys I am looking for opions and experiences with sport quads. I have a Prairie700 and I really like it one of the things I like best is that I can ride it pretty hard and slide it around and it is fast. I have been considering buying a Sports Quad V-Force or Raptor leaning towards the V-Force. I ride mostly mountain trails and fire roads. Some of these trails can get pretty rutted and other have lots of rocks and steep sections with rocky ledges. How do Sports quads do on these kinds of trails. I want to be able to still go most the places I've gone on my Prairie but I also want the lighter faster sports quad for slidding, jumping, wheelies and the occassional trip to the dunes. I am leaning towards the V-Force because of the shaft drive and higher ground clearance. Will a sports quad still handle the mountains and things like downed logs and rock ledges or should I just mod up the prairie. Tell me what you think.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah they can do all that IMO...but the VForce is just a sportier looking Prarie with some more speed...I would suggest the Raptor (of those two) if you want the sport quad experience.

Old 01-05-2004, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

If you know how to ride a sport quad then yes, but if you were to stick a rider that has little experience with hi- preformance quads on a tight trail with ricks, logs, brush, ect then no..... Out of those two get the raptor. You can def get threw more places with that.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Thats what i was wondering about because I have ridden a couple times with some more experienced riders thay tell me I ride and hit hills like I'm on a sport quad not a utility 4x4. I like to pin it on the hills even when there is no need. Sometimes turns the prairie into a 650 pound handful. I am always trying to jump it and like making it wheelie. I usually ride in 2x4 so I can slide and roost.

Old 01-06-2004, 01:49 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with fastlane, the V-force is just a 2X4 Prarie!

I have two sets of bikes. Utes for technical work in the mountains, and sport bikes for the desert. I could ride the sport bikes in the mountains, or I could ride the utes in the desert, but neither would be the best tool for the job. So, ride the Prarie on the gnarly stuff, and get a Raptor to zip around the less technical terrain.

Old 01-07-2004, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Sport quads will be more than capable in anything but deep mud. The only thing they don't do, is pack cargo.

Dont discount the V-Force. I get the feeling that it gets a bad rap without being ridden. I am a proud Raptor owner, but for super technical stuff, a V-Force might be the ticket for you. I was really impressed with it, but unlike most people, I didn't expect much out of it. It's a great machine, and no, it is not like a fast Prairie! It's a genuine kick in the a$$!

Old 01-07-2004, 03:09 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't recall what the V-force weighs, but isn't it quite heavy??? The new standard is set by the 450's at 350 lbs. Anything over 400 lbs., is more ute than sport bike.

Old 01-07-2004, 04:58 AM
Pro Rider

pretty much all we ride, with a rap and a blaster. no problems! You'll prob be moving a little faster... but the light weight makes it fun!

Old 01-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Just about any sport quad (400EX, Z400, Raptor, Predator, V-Force) will do good in the trails. You're main problem is going to be ground clearance for the trails that have deep ruts or big rocks here and there. Just make sure to get a good skidplate for the swingarm and chassis. I've ridden a buddy's V-Force in the dunes, trails, and a small quad mx track. It does just fine. I think it gets a bad rap, because not many people actually have or ride them. Once you get used to its handling manners (which took me about 5 minutes) it is fine. One added bonus, would be that it has more ground clearance than all of the other sport/high-performance quads. Another would be that you are already used to working on the same motor. If you like your Prairie, you'll like the V-Force. I have lots of friends in my club that ride raptors on the trails, and they do fine as well. Being close to St. Anthony's Dunes..... I'd probably buy the Raptor over the V-Force.

Old 02-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

It really all dpends on the rider ability, sure the quad can make it, but do u want somthin that can just get through the stuff or somthin that can fry through it? the utilty can get thrigh that rough stuff with ease becayuse some or most have 4X4, but if u wann go fast through the trails and have the abilty, go for the sprtt quad, and u should look at other quads besides the 2 you mentioned.

Quick Reply: Can Sports quads handle mountain trails.