Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Honda 450r Vs Polaris Predator

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 450r Vs Polaris Predator

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DS650powe

mx/cross country riding has nothing to do with an atv being faster than another. for that its about setup/rider.

to be honest i think it could go either way....</end quote></div>

^Thank you. First educated answer i read (didnt read the whole thread)

First of all you guys are crazy for arguing about this, but ill put in my 2 cents.

Im Josh Konecheck, sorry i didnt win C by more than 1 point, the honda rider went to 13 races, i went to 11. It wasnt easy for me to win on a stock Pred, and i say stock because my rebuilt suspension was no good at all, because they were non resivor, and i would heat those babies up the first lap and they'd be moooosh.

Your askin what quad is faster? I have riden a few 03' Predators that were alot faster than my 05'. All quads stock mind you. We think it was because the first production Fugis' were a built for speed to impress the buyers, later in the 05 the power became smoother, and more reliable. The 03's i rode would smoke my built YFZ450 and my friends LRD piped 450R, im saying smoked because it wasnt even close. Line the stock 05 up and it was even.

I saw something in heard about the Outlaws. The new Outlaw 525S is impressive. Rebuild the stock suspension and you WILL be impressed. Yes the KTM engine isnt Polaris, but who gives a shat, id rather have a KTM engine than a Honda, Yammi, or POLARIS anyday!

If you ask about reliablility....450R vs. Pred? I dunno flip a coint, it depends on whose riding it and maintaining it. Mine never failed, nor my buddys R. I have a few friends that have blew up their 450Rs more than 3 times, non of my friends blew their Preds up yet, even the one that hasnt changed his oil in a year. lol

As for Polaris winning races this year. Id bet on it, maybe not Pro yet, but in time it will come, Polaris is listening to us, and all you on the forums. Trust me on that.

Sorry for all the pointless info i just rambled on about.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

You have a lot of good info there. It's good to hear from actual racers on here once in a while. I have to say that the kid who posted this thread had a simple question and that is will his buddy's newer predator beat his 07' 450R in a straight line drag race. In this case the 450 is faster and that is a fact. This isn't an issue of mx/xc racing. Just machine against machine in a drag. I am definately glad polaris went to the ktm engines though, they are sweet. It's also good to know that manufacturers actually listen to us as well.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all your opinions

Old 03-10-2008, 03:18 AM
Range Rover

Honda has gotten alot of respect from riders over the past 30 years, while polaris has had a few problems with their atv line. I think a model that Polaris discontinued, and that has gotten alot of bad reviews for being known to "break down" in one way or another, wouldnt be a smart buy, on the other hand the honda 450r has received very positive reviews, its known for being very dependable and having a very powerful engine, I have never once heard a story about how a 450r broke down for no reason while out riding, I cant say the same for the pred. In this comparison, the 450r is the better choice, no disrespect meant to the Pred owners out there, this is just what I hear in the pipeline

Old 04-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Trailblazer

striaght up drag race the polaris wins. seen it too many times online. at least stock for stock. the 450 wont be far behind tho.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

in a drag race between the 450r and the predator id have to say it would depend on the year model of the predator for one... the earlier models were geared differently i have an 03 pure polaris model predator completely stock and have smoked my buddies 450r with a curtis exhaust, k&n, and a few other mods... the only time it was ever close was when i had just got mine back from a shop and they had not put my carb completely on and it was bogging down when id give it gas and yet i still pulled it off my 1 length.. have the video to prove it.. and also every time i ever raced the 450r was on "racing slicks" lol my tires didnt even have ***** of tread completely smooth.. my 03 i have also knocked off another buddies 660 raptor though he beat me once i beat him twice..
now all this is not to say that the 450r is a puss by no means it def. has its advantages over the predator... you do a lil bit of head work to it and it runs like a bat out of hell for one... i did race one the guy had done head work to it and he got me by about 2-3 lengths... he also smoked the raptor 660 and my other buddies 450r... the way the 03 model predator runs though is alot different then say the troy lee edition or some of the newer models they have more of a power band to them... where as the TL and some newer models have their power throughout which in my own personal opinion makes the 03's funner to ride and they feel quicker... if you ever get the chance to ride an 03 you should take the oppurtunity to see what i am talking about... hammer that throttle down and feel the power... there was definetly a reason it was named 2003 atv of the year

Old 06-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

and also yes the polaris does have the fuji not the ktm in the predator at least the 03s anyway

Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Stock vs Stock any year or version of Pred will beat the 450r in a straight line drag. Later TLD close ratio Preds will have an even bigger lead, they get up to top speed faster. This is pretty much fact. Now in my own experience, both my 06' standard and TLD Pred's with full exhaust clamp on and carb modded still beat an equal modded 06' Honda 450r (my #1 riding buddy). As soon as he put in the HRC cam, took me everytime on the hill.