20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

help me choose a project quad

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me choose a project quad

ok so heres the deal. i put my custom painted 250 trailblazer on craigslist for trade or 1800. i have 360$ xmas money.

ive been offered 1800, and ive been offered a trade for an older scrammy 400 4x4

with the 1800, i can buy a blaster for 800 and use the extra 1360$ to mod
or a warrior for 700 and have 1460$ to mod and fix up.

both blaster and warrior arent in PERFECT shape so i would prob do an overhaul, complete teardown and build from the ground up.

i would only have 360$ to mod with the scrammy.

so my main question is.

95' blaster and 1360$ to mod
96-7' warrior with 1460$ to mod
or 97-ish' scrammy 400 4x4 with 360$ to mod.

thanks, hope you can help with my decision.

btw which would be the quickest?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Range Rover

Well, what type of riding do you plan on using it for, how skilled are you and how big are you height/weight.

The scambler is an awesome trail steed and they are pretty dependable, but you will find that it is a bit heavy. They are still a ton of fun.

The Blaster is the choice if you are very light not very tall and like to get aggressive and it will be by far the cheapest to modify you can make a blaster scream with a pipe/silencer, a set of reeds some porting and good jetting.

The warrior is the middle ground in your case. It has the power and handling characteristic to make reasonably aggressive riding fun and is more sporty than the scrambler. But in all reality it's a bit heavy to go truely nuts on. The warrior will have the lowest maintenance and operating cost (stone reliable 4 stroke that can go forever on a tank). The 2 strokes will burn a whole lot more fuel especially the 4x4. It takes more money to trick out a warrior (4 stroke) but less to use it.

with a little more background on not "perfect" it will be easier to help you out.

to do a basic "tricked out" blaster figure on setting aside money for: tires(low profile MX tires work wonders for them), pipe/ silencer/jets($300-500), and I'm assuming a blaster that cheap is going to need a top end job say $200 after you buy the piston/rings/pin/gaskets and hone job

The scambler, you won't get to do much, you might not even be able to get the thing completely back up to snuff depending on it's condition.

The Warrior should be pretty sound, if it doesn't leak and starts/runs don't dive into the motor you wouldn't be happy with the mods available even if you could afford them. Put a nice set of tires(NOT STOCK) and a nice exhaust from a reputable company like Pro circuit, Duncan Racing or supertrapp.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Tough one. I'm not a fan of 4x4 sport but, that's up to you so I'd go with blaster or warrior.

Biggest diffrence is 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. Warrior better trail rider having reverse and more low end. The blaster will be real small so, depending on you height/weight it may not be much of an option. With that kind of cash to put into it I'm sure either one would run quite well with a rebuild and pipe/jet/filter. On the blaster if you had the 240 kit w/ a port and polish job it would be hard to beat. I'd still go with the warrior.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Warrior is poorly designed and handles poorly, so don't waste any time on it. I have limited experience on the Scrammy, but what I have has not been very positive, so I would pass it up as well.

Blasters on the other hand are real peaches! They are simple easy to work on 2-strokes and pure fun to ride. You can't go wrong with it, even if it end up needing major work.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

ok so to answer the size question im about 5'10 and 150.

i am a medium experienced rider when it comes to clutches.
i have been riding a polaris trailblazer 250 for 2 years..

and on the rebuild topic of the blaster, there is a vitos 240 kit on ebay for 260$.
as for the warrior. i think it needs more work than any of them.

the scrambler runs fine and needs nothing but cosmetic work. the same for the blaster. the warrior im looking at later today. so idk.

the only thing i dont like about the blaster is some people on here say it wont keep with a warrior. so if i bought this blaster, +4 swingarm, vitos 240, factory 7 exhaust, reeds, filter, and new tires would it stay with a warrior or 400ex?

if not what would i need to do?

thanks for the replies..i think i need a poll.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Yes it would stay with them. No need for swingarm extension.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

you sure? they are awefully short.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

i would go scrambler because with 360$ you can get a pipe,silencer,clutch kit,carb jets and a modded air box.Several members here have complained about how unreliable the 240 kits are they like to seize pistons.Just my .02 take it how you will.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are probably to big for the Blaster. It will be fun at first because it will be like riding a toy, but that will get old eventually and you will end up feeling cramped.

Find a 400EX or Z400 instead of any of the above choices!

Old 12-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

i dont want a 400ex and i found a z that is widened with a yoshi exhaust for 2000. but thats the problem. i dont have 2000.

i have 1800.

Quick Reply: help me choose a project quad