Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

How do I tell if I need a new clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I tell if I need a new clutch?

Hi, my stupid quad is acting weird lately, typical Honda [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]. haha. But anyway, when I try to whip the back end out in sand, or when I take off real hard, it makes like a cracking sound and, IDK, it's just weird. What are some things to look for? How hard are they to replace? Any help would be great. Thanks[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

Oh, it's a 87 Honda 250X if that matters any for replacement stuff.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" a cracking noise" is pretty vague, is the noise coming from the motor, or from the drivetrain? If the noise only shows up under a load, have you checked you sprockets? I rode with a guy with a 250X years back that made a clanking,ratcheting noise if he dumped the clutch, turned out the front sprocket was so worn, the chain was jumping teeth when he really dumped the clutch,it was fine during normal riding. To check the condition of your clutch, get it warmed up, go through the gears to make sure every thing is warmed up, then find a long stretch and start out in 1st and go through every gear, revving each close to redline as possible. If you don't feel a good grab at every shift, as in the motor revs after shifting and takes a while to speed up, your clutch is slipping,check and see if the cable is adjusted correctly. If it slips, and adjusting the cable has no effect, you will have to remove the clutch cover and pull the plates and check them for correct thickness and the seperating plates for warping or wear. the fingers on the clutch basket need to be checked for deep grooves worn in, these will cause problems as well. But you should really try to find the source of the "cracking" noise before you tear anything apart,or give us some more information if you can.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer

CRAP! You know that stem that the sprocket hooks up to? Is it supposed to move in and out about 1/8"? If not, I'm screwed. I have no idea how to fix that, or the tools. the sprocket is weird too. One side is fine, but the other side has so much wear that its shiny. Odd. Helpppp???? =[

Old 04-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Trailblazer

Houston, I figured out the problem. The rear sprocket just cracked clean trough. I have a new one on the way, and it should fix this mess =]

Old 05-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

hey, you might want get a chain+rear sprocket also,sounds like that deep wear probably also took a toll on chain+rear spocket,every thing will last longer,unless u just want to get that craphound going to sell for a polaris automatic.hahahaha.also eby has incredible prices on packages.if your chain is really worn,it could snap+knock a big hole in your tranny.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

I fixed it, i accidentally put the sprocket on the wrong side of the hub. lol. ooopsies. =] and how bout a kawi automatic ( KFX700) =]