Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Nerfs bars and their protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-1999, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am somewhat confused as the the protection offered by nerf bars. Two weeks ago I bought some DG nerfs, but they didn't fit on my 400EX and I retured them. That got me thinking. Nerfs, at least DG alloy nerfs and AC Racing alloy nerfs, only protect the rider if his feet slip forward, and offer no protection if his feet slip backward. What happens more often, forward or backward?

Before I could install my nerfs I had to remove the mud guards. I removed them and when I went to re-install the right mud guard I realized a thread was FUBAR. Because of this bad thread, I could not install the right mud guard and was forced to ride without a mud guard on the right side, just a straight foot peg. This made me nervous and I didn't do any jumps because of it.

But then in the February '99 issue of 4-Wheel ATV Action, they did the project Banshee versus the project 400EX. On the Banshee, they removed the mud guards and just had straight pegs. This doesn't seem safe to me. I have seen other pictures of guys getting nice air with no mud guards or nerf bars, just plain old foot pegs. Please tell me if riding with only foot pegs and no nerfs or guards is safe?

Old 09-22-1999, 01:05 AM
Range Rover

First thing is to realize the true purpose of nerfs is not for keeping your feet on the quad. The main purpose of nerf bars is to keep other bikes from coming in on you during a race. You shoud never consider using the nerfs as an extension of the footpeg as this will get you hurt quicker than anything. Developing a good riding style is what keeps a persons feet on the pegs. If you try using the nerfs as support when riding you will eventually end up with you legs going through the netting and most likely a broken leg will be the result. My recommendation is that if you are not going to race(particularly motocross)then don't get them. As for woods racing, you see some riders using them but once again this is mainly to prevent them from tangling with other riders during the start of the race.

Old 09-22-1999, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

I agree, I have ridden for years on my 2 other bikes with only straight footpegs and never had any trouble running over my legs. The mudgaurds on your 400EX are just that, mudgaurds. They actually get in the way sometimes when landing jumps.

Gabe
'86ATC250R
'86ATC350X
'00TRX400EX

Old 09-29-1999, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

I agree.

If you don't race, you don't need the nerfs. My LT250R has them and they pinned my leg under when the quad flipped on its side. I was taking a corner pretty fast and the outside tires hit a deep rut. This lightly turnd the quad on its side. Slowly enough that I put my foot down and the nerf bar pinned my leg under it. Pretty sore for a couple of days.

If you don't race, you don't need them.

RM

------------------
99 400EX 95 Scrambler 400 85 LT250R

Old 10-06-1999, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with the other guys to some extent. The nerf bars will help in racing conditions. they will keep other people fromgetting tangled with you. AlthoughI don't agree with the non-use of them if you are not racing. I ride in the desert and I also race. I bought them for the desert and then started racing.

the reason I bought them is a 6 inch scar that I now have in my shin. My foot fell off of the foot peg and got ripped across the foot peg leaving a pretty bad gash. Since having my nef bars they have saved me many times. I do not use them for added strengh to the foot pegs or to extend them. I use them only for saftey. I agree that they don't have back protection, but that has never been a problem so far.

Also the nerf bars are a good way from impelling your self on the peg. One guy said that he got his leg pinned under his nerf bar and was sore. Imagine not having nerf bars and the end of the peg ripping into you thigh or even worse, a little higher. Catch my drift. I have heard of it happening.

But I do agree. If you are not racing or are just mellow riding and very big jumps. then they are not needed. Just added weight.

Old 10-06-1999, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

I also aggree with all the points made ! The racing comments about getting tangled up with others and the desert riding - to have that extra landing pad, just incase.. I installed a pair on my 300ex. I don't race, nor do i ride in the desert. i have notice a big difference in my riding techniques (spelling ?) I feel alot more "safe" with the nerfs under my feet. For the little weight they added, i feel it is well worth the safety they have gained !!! It is personal preference !!

------------------
Exer_95....Jason....95' Honda 300ex

Old 10-12-1999, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with most of the comments though nerf bars also help keep your rear axle from getting bend by hooking a tree. Nerf Bars also keep u from running over your own foot. I'm assuming that u wear riding boots while u ride so u don't have to worry about your foot going in between the nerf bars and the rear fender. But again it's personal preference, I'll always ride with em, even though it does ad a couple pounds.

Old 10-13-1999, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

WHAT? Wow, I know someone who broke BOTH HIS LEGS because his feet slipped off the pegs. Can't they play a safety role also? I mean, that's a lot safer incase your foor slips, right? I've never heard anyone talk about nerfs this way!

------------------
- 1986 Honda TRX250R, 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html