Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

hi-performance quads : PART 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-1999, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All right, the true hi-performance quads the ATV world has seen...

-Honda TRX250R
-Honda TRX400EX
-Suzuki LT250R Quad Racer
-Suzuki LT500R Quad Racer (Quadzilla)
-Kawasaki Tecate-4
-Yamaha Banshee
-Bombardier DS 650
-Gas Gas GNU 300
-Husaberg EF 400
-Husaberg EF 501
-Husaberg EF 600

Did I miss any? You can make any quad into a high performance quad with the proper mods, but this is all about those AGGRESSIVE SPORT quads who came high performance stock.

It's sad to see the decline in 2-strokes, due to laws, etc..., but with the new Gas Gas GNU 2-stroke, the Bombardier DS 650 thumper, the now-legendary Honda 400EX, the 2-stroke Yamaha Banshee still being produced , and rumors, things may be heading back up for us.

Just a couple of the rumors... a new Suzuki Quad Racer 400, the probable Kawasaki KXF-250, and the return of the Honda TRX250R. Sounds good to me!

------------------
- 1986 Honda TRX250R, 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 10-09-1999, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

uh does polaris sport400 ring a bell

------------------
WesMan Sport400,Trailblazer 250

Old 10-11-1999, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

No the Polaris Sport do not ring a bell. It is not a high performance quad. No one even try to argue with me on this one.

Chris "00" 300EX

Old 10-11-1999, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

All right, here's the deal...

The majority of us riders agreed last discussion that a high-performance quad should be a fairly light, 2-wheel drive manual-clutch quad with potential racing use, and an engine size atleast 250cc(2-stroke) or ~400cc(4-stroke).

There are many awesome quads out there, take the 300ex for example. BEST woods ATV in production, yet not a high performance quad. Sport 400's fly, but like I said, most people didn't consider it a hi-perf.. All quads kick *ss.

------------------
- 1986 Honda TRX250R, 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 10-11-1999, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

RideE can you please stop it with these point less post that only start fights. For one take all the hussy off the list. They are like Aliens. You here about them but you never see em. The sport IS a high performance ATV. but i don't want to fight. It has a kick **** motor. It can drag race and isn't that racing? ok And one more thing, stop calling the 300EX the best wood quad. You acctual belive wht the rags say. The blaster or the 400ex are the best wood quads. ok

[This message has been edited by mxer (edited 10-11-1999).]

Old 10-12-1999, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

No the Polaris Sport in not a high performance quad. Why?????
It is why two heavy and is a belt driven automatic. Go ahead and drag race any of the quads on this list. The Sport will loose badly. Go ahead and race any of these quads on the track, and the Sport will look even worse. You can not control only the front brakes. The suspension can not soak up big air jumps. The 4by4 just adds extra weight that defeats the purpose of high performance. Don't get me wrong. THe Sport is a great machine. But it is not a high performance machine.
And let's not forget about this 300EX thing. Yes, it is the best woods quad ever. Do I want to trust the magazines? Well, let me think a minute. A source that has endless resources. That can have multiple units of every quad made. Test them 7 days a week. Riden by professional riders on closed tracks, trails and dunes. I think that we can listen to them.
And if that isen't enough. The EX is a perfect mix of power, handling and reliability that make it the best in the woods.
This last spring, I was in the market for the best woods quad. I went out, rode them all and brought home the EX. Why? Go ride them yourself and you will see. The only peope who don't agree with the mags. Are the people that have never riden one.
Good day.

Chris "00" 300EX

ps. the soapbox is now open, if someone else wants to take a turn.....

Old 10-12-1999, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

One thing that worrys me? That yz400f motor,Three intakes/Two exaust..If yamaha gets it together look out.

cstark-You better hope A400L isn't listening.That thing he's got is a rail in a straight line.

Old 10-12-1999, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Whether the Sport is high performance is debatable, but the statement that it will lose to all the listed quads in a drag is wrong. My brother had a Sport and beat a 250R. Now that he went out and bought the worlds greatest quad (400EX) I enjoy beating him on my slow overweight Scrambler. MXer's they are not, but it's hard the out drag a Polaris unless you have a Banshee or tecate.
The auto tranny love it or hate it is awesome in straight line racing. Although it's not quite a fair comparison... I doubt very many of you Polaris haters can out run a snowmobile even 440's and old John Deere 380's. Polaris' are awesome drag racers especially with mods.
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 10-13-1999, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

I know that A400L's machine is awesome. I have had many conversations with him. But his quad is also $3500 more than stock one. I believe that his quad is "high" performance. I'm saying that a stock Sport isen't. My 300EX is far from a high performance. But if I invested $3500 into it. I would bet that I could outdo everyone and anything, anytime.
Point being, this comparision is just for fun. And it is based on stock machines. With enough time and money, you can make any quad high performance. But by the time your done, it's not really even the same machine that you started with.
I never said that the Sport was slow. It is very fast in a strait line. But unfortunatly. High performance machines have no flaws. They are in thier element everywhere they go. And I'm afraid that a stock Polaris Sport is not in it's element, everywhere it goes. Good day folks.

Chris "00" 300EX

Old 10-13-1999, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

"A high performance machine has no flaws and is in it's element everywhere it goes???"
You should tell that to my brother & his 400EX next time they get high centered going up the same rutted trail I always do at the local riding spot. Needless to say the "great" 400EX spinning it's tires while trying to make it up a 35ft incline was not impressive. I say this also because I had to push ! I'm beginning to wonder if a 300EX is the only quad you've ever ridden?
I guess you don't consider mud, hills, & snow etc. elements? Why is it so many people base how good a quad is because of what it does on an MX track? I've rode around on an MX track on my fat-*** Scrambler and it was fun, but also BORING after a while. It would really suck to have a quad that I just around & around on.

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Quick Reply: hi-performance quads : PART 2