Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

whats tha best sport atv!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats tha best sport atv!

I personally prefer the XC models over the SX. That is because of my riding style. We're talking stock form so I'm going to have to disagree. I love Honda, I ride one but I think the KTM will out preform the 450R in the desert. The XC model is only 2" wider than the 450R but that is huge in stability. It has camber and caster that are both adjustable, and it has way better suspension.

I believe that all of that will lead to a better machine in all the different types of trail you mentioned, except for the rutted out crappy trails as you put it.

The KTM also has all of that better than the Raptor wich would lead to a better trail quad.IMO

Old 01-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

THE 300EX IS THE BEST SPORT ATV EVER!!! No, just kidding, I would say the older KTMs.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:39 PM

wow , i wasnt expectin the 300 ex to come up , its a good bike , but a little on the small size for me

Old 01-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Shapeshifter Rider

Ahh man you get me on an old 250x I will have a party that is one of my favorite alltime quads an 87' honda 250x!Nothin better!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Wow a 525 a better all-rounder than a 700R I leave some peoples OPINION alone and let you have the facts First yes the 525 STOCK will be faster but in big drag races you will never see one as the 700r or the KFX 700 have that market as of now Second if you want a great all-rounder you would have to choose a machine that has EFI as they are so much better in everything they do from altitude changes to throttle response for multiple riding situations there is no match to one. Right now the only Trail bikes that have EFI is Honda 700XX or a 09 Suzuki Z400!

The 525 is a great potent bike but for the $ spent on a new bike there are such better minded purchases out there that are far more build bile turn key bikes than any 450 or 525 avail today. I will even go out and say the Raptor is the bike everyone (MFG) wants to beat and the staple of the best all-rounder avail today. There is a reason it is the #1 selling sport quad in the USA!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

We are talking stock form, The KTM 525 has better acceleration, better exhaust, better intake system, better suspension, better tires, and better handling. Every thing on the KTM in stock form is better than the Raptor. How does that make the Raptor better? EFI is not for everyone, have you ever done a Hare Scramble or a race wear you start with a dead motor? Carb will fire up a split second faster than EFI, that split second is the difference between a holeshot and a face full of roost.

I totally agree with you that the Raptor is the best selling, in stock form the Raptor is NOT that impressive. They are bottled up big time, the simple 3 mods setup will allow it to beat the KTM in a drag but that's it.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There isn't one answer to this question. The best all-arounders are the Honda 400EX, Suzuki Z400, and Raptor 700.

I like the EX for tight trails, the Suzuki for more open trails and wide open country, and I don't like the Raptor much at all.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Great points on the EX and the Z, what is your opinion between the Rappy and KTM 525?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Stoopidbot

We are talking stock form, The KTM 525 has better acceleration, better exhaust, better intake system, better suspension, better tires, and better handling. Every thing on the KTM in stock form is better than the Raptor. How does that make the Raptor better? EFI is not for everyone, have you ever done a Hare Scramble or a race wear you start with a dead motor? Carb will fire up a split second faster than EFI, that split second is the difference between a holeshot and a face full of roost.

I totally agree with you that the Raptor is the best selling, in stock form the Raptor is NOT that impressive. They are bottled up big time, the simple 3 mods setup will allow it to beat the KTM in a drag but that's it.</end quote></div>

Yes but he wantS a good stock allarounder and having EFI does make it that much better. He did not say anything about racing therefore EFI iis the way to go. Haveing a KTM with its race ready suspension is nice but it is not night and day better than the Raptor! HENCE A TURN KEY BIKE

Old 01-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

i do know the need for EFI but at the same time a correctly jetted carb is just as good. Jets are cheaper than a fuel programmer but once you do the initial purchase it is much easier to tune the efi.

In regards to the 700/525 comparison, IMO the 700 leaves me sitting to high which leaves an uncomfortable feeling in fast turns. The little bit i rode a 525 in handled amazingly, turned like it was on rails. I prefer the lower center of gravity. The KTM takes it in handling and everything else. But you get it tight trails and the 700 would be better, it has a wider range in each gear than the fast revving KTM. If you took the difference in price between the to machines and dumped it into upgrading the 700. It could handle just as well and go faster.Even putting better suspension and stuff on the raptor will still leave it with a higher center of gravity, which IMO is the worst attribute to the 700. But in stock form, it's the KTM.

Quick Reply: whats tha best sport atv!