whats tha best sport atv!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whats tha best sport atv!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Stoopidbot

i do know the need for EFI but at the same time a correctly jetted carb is just as good. Jets are cheaper than a fuel programmer but once you do the initial purchase it is much easier to tune the efi.

In regards to the 700/525 comparison, IMO the 700 leaves me sitting to high which leaves an uncomfortable feeling in fast turns. The little bit i rode a 525 in handled amazingly, turned like it was on rails. I prefer the lower center of gravity. The KTM takes it in handling and everything else. But you get it tight trails and the 700 would be better, it has a wider range in each gear than the fast revving KTM. If you took the difference in price between the to machines and dumped it into upgrading the 700. It could handle just as well and go faster.Even putting better suspension and stuff on the raptor will still leave it with a higher center of gravity, which IMO is the worst attribute to the 700. But in stock form, it's the KTM.</end quote></div>

I agree about the Raptor 700 feeling odd........ the strange thing is that it is far better than the old 660, and in fact is not that tippy....but it "feels" tippy because you are so tall in the saddle.

The YFZ has a similar feeling, in that it feels like the quad is pushed low, or in contrast, like you are sitting too high. But the YFZ does have a lower center of gravity and feels lower than the Raptor.......

I wish Honda had made a REAL sport quad with that 700xx...... and by real sport quad I mean 400-pounds and a solid rear axle.......

C'mon Suzuki where is my z700 ???

Old 01-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the only thing I have against Yamaha, I don't like their ergonomics.

The 700XX can be mad into a killer machine but it will cost you butt loads of money. As for an IRS quad not being a true sportster, to each their own. I prefer SRA as well but I have friends that swear by IRS.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

I've had a KTM and it was awesome. But there are some reliability issues with them. You have to remember a KTM is expensive. The reason being it has all the goodies from the manufacturer already on it that you would throw on a raptor, 450r, 400ex. So a stock versus stock comparison really isn't fair. I say they should outfit the other quad they are comparing to a KTM with equal suspension and see how it does. If you have rutted out trails you should look into the Honda 700xx. I just got mine this past weekend and love it. It handles awesome, more than enough power, and about 10" of ground clearance. An IRS takes some getting used to if you're used to a SRA, but it doesn't take long at all to adjust. I took it out on the MX track and jumps and lands more smoothly than my 400ex ever could.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

The definition of stock is how it comes form the factory. KTM added those things so their machine would dominate in stock form. No matter how you look at it, the way the machines come from the factory is the company choice. KTM chose to put better stuff than all the other companies.

I agree, you put the same stuff on other machines and it's a different story, but those things are what makes the stock KTM the best stock machine.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Yes I understand that. But when KTM states the machine as a race ready unit, you are now not comparing apples to apples. Yes it is stock, but on a different level. None of the Honda's or Yamaha's are race ready. You could race them stock, but would be sorely disappointed in it's performance on a track racing against a KTM or equally modified Honda or Yamaha. It all comes down to personal taste. Honda's are rock solid reliable, as are Yamaha's for the most part. KTM is good, but speaking from experience reliability far out weighs the slight advantage of handling that the average rider will never even notice or be able to utilize

Old 01-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Agreed 100% I love my TRX450 and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I agree with ya bro. In a way I kind of wish I would have known Honda was going to release the 700xx. I think I would have picked up a 450r in stead of the 400ex. But I'm happy with it. When the 426 is finished it'll smoke a 450:-D

Old 01-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

I can't wait to see the 2010 450R!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

I still say for a great,basic,durable trail quad the 87-92 honda 250x is king!!IMO

Old 01-05-2009, 06:34 PM

whats up with the 2010 450r 's i havent heard anything bout them

Quick Reply: whats tha best sport atv!