Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Help with deciding on new rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with deciding on new rear tires

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at buying some new rear tires for my 08 LTR450. Something more trail and snow oriented. Most of the trail riding I do has quite a few rocks, so 20" rears are a must. Also riding in Canada means riding with snow for 1/2 the year, so I need something that will also be good in the snow.

I have looked up multiple tires, but most of the guys on the LTR forum have told me to go with RAZRs (only the 6-ply) or RAZR 2's. So I'm just wondering for your opinions on the two, and why one may be better than the other. The RAZRs are $40 cheaper (for a pair) than the RAZR 2's, though price isn't really an issue, I just want the best tire.

I basically understand that the RAZR is a little bit at sliding, whereas the RAZR 2 offers better overall traction (especially in snow).

Opinions? Maybe a reason to go with a Holeshot tire instead?

Old 10-19-2009, 02:25 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a good look at the Holeshot H-D. While none of the classic sport quad tires are great for snow, the H-D's have agressive lugs on the sides for rutted trails and the like, which can't hurt in snow.

http://www.itptires.com/sportatv/holeshot_hd.html

Normally I run Holeshot XC's, but when I want more ground clearance I run Holeshot XCT's (maybe along with some gearing changes). When I want to ride in the snow however....I ride one of my Ranchers!

Old 10-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Originally Posted by Canadian144
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at buying some new rear tires for my 08 LTR450. Something more trail and snow oriented. Most of the trail riding I do has quite a few rocks, so 20" rears are a must. Also riding in Canada means riding with snow for 1/2 the year, so I need something that will also be good in the snow.

I have looked up multiple tires, but most of the guys on the LTR forum have told me to go with RAZRs (only the 6-ply) or RAZR 2's. So I'm just wondering for your opinions on the two, and why one may be better than the other. The RAZRs are $40 cheaper (for a pair) than the RAZR 2's, though price isn't really an issue, I just want the best tire.

I basically understand that the RAZR is a little bit at sliding, whereas the RAZR 2 offers better overall traction (especially in snow).

Opinions? Maybe a reason to go with a Holeshot tire instead?
I''ll tell you right now the best snow traction I get is from a radial. So look into the i-Razr radial or the new Bill Balance radial from Maxxis which is very similar to the i-Razr. I noticed a big difference when I went to the i-Razr from the Razr's I had prior. And they are better than the ITP-XC my step father has on his KFX700 in the snow.

The radial design has a flatter contact patch while spinning. So you don't get that "egg shape" that you get with a bias ply at high RPMs. This is helpful in deeper snow when you don't want to "dig" a hole. They float better over snow and wet because the contact patch is wider.

ITP also make a radial called the Trac Star which is also a nice tire although I've never run into anyone with them yet. I think the Maxxis has deeper lugs though which is better for snow/mud but not as good for loose dirt or hard-pack.

Of any bias ply, I think the Razr-II is the best one for the snow. Those big deep side lugs bite real nice especially in the turns. So if you are set on those you won't go wrong either. Most sport riders I run into up here in NY state are running Razr-II.

Also, I see a lot of people run ITP Mud-Lites up here in the snow/mud. And some people swear by them. I hear stories every time I see someone with them about how they can follow 4x4s anywhere. So how wrong can 1000 different stories be? I've often flirted with the idea of getting pair just for the snow/mud seasons up here. And if I ever get the cash to afford two sets of new tires I will.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I tried i-Razrs and found them to have very poor traction. The fronts are excellent but freakishly tall, and the traction blocks are to far apart on the rear.

I have Trak-Star radials on the 250EX's. They give a nice ride, but are short so you lose a bit of ground clearance. Nothing special in the snow....