Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Sport Quad Riders.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by duster
Don't know the whole story behind this...

But I do have to agree that this site is now more like ute connection than atv connection these days.

So it is more of a resource for you guys and a better cyber hangout.
There is very little sport quad talk to be involved in here now.
The story behind this thread was that ReconRanger believed that his ideas about riding were better than everybody elses while having no room for people's opinions that were formed because of different needs. Just the start of this thread gives you an idea of how he felt and the kinds of things he said about Ute owners. We gave him about the same treatment he gave others without as much name calling and he left. I do miss him. Not so much how he talked down to people but how much he could offer at times. The majority of posters here seem to feel that you should ride what you can afford to buy, whatever meets your needs the most, enjoy our shared passion, and make a few friends along the way. As far as quads go, I like what I bought but it's not for everyone. A guy out on the dunes in the West should have a fast light quad. A guy in the Southern swamps should have a powerful 4x4 with gnarly treads. A guy that does a mix would probably like a sport 4x4. Whatever works. His opinion was that Honda are best. I agree reliability-wise. Not necessarily as far as mud goes or in snow country due to not having a full locked front end. These were the kinds of things we talked about. I love Hondas. Super reliable and nice ergonomics. His thought was if it's not a Honda it's not worth riding more or less. He had some good reasons to like Hondas. Like I have good reasons to like my PoPo X2. You wouldn't ever hear him say, "I think Polaris quads have their place." Most of us here appreciate that different riders have different styles and needs. I hope this kind of explains it. You'd have to go through ReconRanger's posts to get a better feel for what he had to say.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah, now I knew he was fanatically Honda brand loyal.
And had reason to be... but was a bit over the top on it.

I think he was also from the old school like me, when Quadrunner 250's and Fourtrax 300's were utility 4x4's. Both of us could kind of appreciate the overkill of today. Too big, too heavy, etc... And Honda runs a bit behind in the big ute market, which might have been a sore spot.

Anyways, yeah... very opinionated guy... but a good bit of solid info from him too... we locked horns a few times... nothing major... typical since I am totally non-brand loyal, and appreciate all types of quads even though some of them I would never own.

Ah well, he left.
I keep coming back, but there are few posts for the sport guys here these days.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm new to atv's. is a sport quad only 2wd or 4wd also? I have a 96 warrior 350x mildly built.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrider71
I'm new to atv's. is a sport quad only 2wd or 4wd also? I have a 96 warrior 350x mildly built.
A "true" sport quad to most people means a 2wd, solid rear axle with chain. Usually no more than 400 lbs. or so. True sport quads usually have a manual gear box and a left hand clutch lever.

4wd ATVs are usually called sport utility or just utility. Quads like the Can-Am Renegade 800 and 1000, and the Polaris Scrambler 850 blur the lines a bit as they offer a mix of 4x4 go anywhere ability with a lighter quad than the typical utility with racks.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

There no 4wd sport ATV, the 850 Scrambler and Can ams Renagades are just the same as there utility counter parts but with sporty plastic and no racks thats why they weigh only 50lbs less.
Take the racks off of a XP850 and it will weigh the same as a 850 scrambler.
2013 Polaris Scrambler® 850 H.O. ATVs

Same chasis,suspenstion,motor,tranny,dementions, even gas tank.

same goes with the Can Ams 2013 Can-Am Outlander™ DPS™ 800R ATVs

This site has been taken over by the utility rednecks. See you somewhere else out there.....
Funny thing is this topic was started by Reconranger and he rode a 420 Rancher, far from a sport ATV.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Funny thing is this topic was started by Reconranger and he rode a 420 Rancher, far from a sport ATV.

Actually, he also had/has at least one 250ex, 400ex, and a 450r. Oh, and a blind love for all things Honda.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Actually, he also had/has at least one 250ex, 400ex, and a 450r. Oh, and a blind love for all things Honda.

reconranger? Blind love for Honda? <sarcasm> Where ever did you get that impression?! </sarcasm>

Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Guess that means I'm a sport quad then. Mines 2wd manual shift, solid axle and a chain.
Can't wait to take mine out again after I get the new tires for it

Old 02-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't give a damn what people ride as long as they ride, dirt bikes, utes, other sports, side by sides, full sizers, I like them all. Wish I could own one of each. I like the nimbleness and control I have on my 400ex, I can zip around with ease and not wear out easy. When riding my old man's Grizzly 660 for a day, throwing that beast around really whips my butt, but it will go anywhere you point it. For all around fun, I prefer a sport, they have a lower center of gravity so I feel much more content on sidehills than I do on the Griz, that thing can get scary on sidehills. I was on one last summer and was leaned over to the left as far as I could go, and it still wanted to go over, either way I was ready to bail off if it did. Having a 700lb quad on top of me is not my idea of fun.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
But I'm A Sport Quad Redneck.
Originally Posted by BioWare
Yup ,same here.

Quick Reply: Sport Quad Riders.....