Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

89 QUAD RACER UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 QUAD RACER UPDATE

AHH YES.... the 88 lt 80 believe it or not has metal reeds,I couldn't believe it either till I found out myself.The metal shavings were flying out from the plastic motor shrouds they put on them.By the way does anyone know if you can
delete them from this machine and have it run healthy???HUMMMMMMMM .....It's really stumping me, I'm trying to think of why suzuki would go to this extreme to **** people like us off when having to go through the hassle of taking down an engine.But to what I need to know from you guys is thisshould there be "play"in the connecting rod up & down, & side to side? cause this ones got lots. Also to the guy who asked if quad sports have a 2 stroke,
only if you put them in.I had a brand new 89 quad sport 250 4 stroke,that was a sweet bike in it's own right!!But no they only came in 4 stroke version. Guys let me know what you think about this LT 80, My son is anxious to ride,
but I can only guess so much.THANKS CREW!!!

Old 02-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Range Rover

So is the LT80 called a Quadsport?

BIGONE, did you check with your Suzuki dealer for replacement reeds? I would not think that the updated replacements would be metal. You cannot remove the reeds entirely and expect the motor to run worth a crud. BTW, how can broken reeds end up in the plastic shroud? The reeds are "trapped" between the carb and the motor and can only exit out the exhaust.

Your connecting rod should have no noticeable movement up and down. You have to hold the rod very rigidly and try to move it up and down. Otherwise, side-to-side movement can feel like up and down movement. There is also a spec for how much side play you can have (using a dial indicator) but you should mainly be concerned with up and down.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

Hey there! You got me the Lt 80 is a quadsport but 2 stroke, I wasn't thinkin. My reeds didn't blow apart,
someone from the forum said it's possibly the bottom or could be the top bearing I'm not sure if that meant
the crank or something else. But yeah, there was shavings spitting out from the plastic shroud, don't know how but when I took the plastic off there was shavings inside around the cylinder and on the ground underneath the motor.I'm gettin pretty confused.I'm startin to think this is a very rare case and no ones familiar with the situation I'm in.

Old 02-19-2004, 11:36 PM
Range Rover

I'm not real familiar with the little LT but doesn't it have a fan that blows air through the shroud. If so, have you checked the fan blades for missing pieces? I would guess that the fan would be mounted to the end of the flywheel and may even be an integral part of it.

The big and little end bearings of the rod also can't find there way into the shroud when they deteriorate. If you have parts from inside the engine ending up within the shroud then you have MAJOR problems (hole knocked in the cylinder and/or cases)!

Old 02-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

Nope, no holes anywhere in cylinder other than the ports.It does have a cooling fan and I haven't seen any pieces taken out of it, the motor turns freely right now,it's not binding up at all right now,of course I've got the whole top end torn of it right now.when I look at the crank go around it brings up a shaving at a time when it's at it's top stroke.I guess I'm gonna have to take the motor out and split the case to see where my problem is.
What's LT80'S trick to makin these things run so great without doing any trick bore job?I know he's out havin fun racing out west right now and won't be home for a couple of weeks so I'm not going to be able to get him to help me for awhile.What hair I have left I'm ready to pull out !!!!!I really appreciate talkin to you though at least
your helpin anyway you can from what you hear from me. THANK YOU!!!

Old 02-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

I was just thinkin.........maybe it's the starter,Iread your reply again and It's got me thinkin that the starter
might have taken a dump,I'm gonna pull that today and see If I'm right,that would kinda make sense to me, for the shavings landing on the ground under the motor.Beforew I split that motor I think that would be a wise choice
to go that route.