Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

zilla guys, i need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zilla guys, i need help!!!

ok, i have a stock(as far as i can tell) 87 lt500r that i just purchased. I have a few stupid questions.

what type of plug is recommended??

fuel oil mixture..synthetic or non??

i think i need neew reeds, here is what is happening
i am not getting the power i should.compression is 150++ psi. i have a new wiseco piston (standard size) installed. jetting is stock..here is what i am finding..

flooding or running rich at low rpm. (idle air screw out 2 turns)

good in the mid range (slightly lean with needle circlip down one position, if i put it back i get a nice tan plug)

slightly rich on top end.

the reeds look a little chipped here and there but there are no cracks.

do reeds wear out?? i believe them to be original and when looking at them in the cage, i can see a space between the reed and cage. shouldn't they be tight to the cage when closed??

Old 05-27-2004, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

welcome to club zilla[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

i cant remember off hand what the plug is,

but i run synthetic @ 32-1 i know theres a lot of guys who swear by less and probably some by more.

there should be no gaps in your reeds they need to shut fully to crate a leak free seal, this is the first thing your gona have to sort befor you can get your carb set up, otherwise your fighting a losing battle,

Old 05-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

the neddle could be up to high also . need to raise it 1 clip . the plug is a ngk br8eg . i also use synthetic at 34-1 . and yes o yes the reeds do go bad . i put in a set of tdr carbon fiber reeds and made a slight difference .

Old 05-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

DonZilla is right,I use Klotz Benol 32:1,I have a custom Built "V" force reed cage from Vito's Performance with extra reed's if your interested.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer

i ordered a set of boyeseen reeds today. i think that that is where the major problem is. the bottom reeds hava a 1/32" gap when they are supposed to be closed.

the beast is probably pulling to much fuel at low rpm's but gets better as the revs increase. hopefully, like you said UKZILLA once i get that sorted out i'll be able to get some tuning done,

right now it seems like i am fighting a losing battle..i'm driving my wifes banshee!!

Old 05-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Donzilla,

Are you sure about the "R" in that plug? I thought a resistor plug was a no,no for the Zilla. NGK B8ES, B8EG, B8EGV, will all work nicely.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the club 700Hemi:

I would recommend getting yourself a factory service manual... It can help you diagnose wear limits, etc. along with alot of help during rebuilds, repairs, etc.

Bad reeds can cause you to really pull your hair out..

Good luck

Old 05-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Trailblazer

welcome to the club
i use amsoil (the new stuff, cant remember) at 50:1. i have had no problems at all. my buddy uses bel-ray mc-1 at 50:1 w/no probems either (mine has been on the same rings for 5 or 6 years).
i work at a toyota dealer ship so i use nippon-denso plugs. (w24-esu, toyota #90098-24505). these plugs don't seem to foul as easy. (i had carb. problems for awhile)
i think mine has worn out boyeseen reeeds in it. i put a new mikuni pro series on it to get rid of the carb. issues. man, if anyone has an 87 carb. on theirs, i highly reccomend replacing the carb. it made a big difference.
enjoy the ride
aaron

Old 05-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

DOHHHHHH !!!! your right i didnt mean to put the r in there . i wasd typing fast and went ***** to the waal . LOL

it is B8EGV . sorry my terets was kicking in . LOL

Old 05-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

there seems to be a lot of talk about carb issues with the 87.

what are they??

Quick Reply: zilla guys, i need help!!!