Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

KING QUAD EVALUATION

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004 | 08:05 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default KING QUAD EVALUATION

I agree Chainman. I want to add to my evaluation how the KQ does in deep mud and water. In a word, AWESOME. It feels so light, even in low with the front differential on. The steering is great. It just tractors through deep water and mud effortlessly. It's as good or better than any big bore that I've been on. I also want to reinterate how stable the IRS feels on this quad. In off camber situations you feel totally in control, not even a hint of tippiness.

If this quad had more low-end, it would be the best big bore made. Hopefully the after market will come to our aid and remedy the problem.

Old 11-04-2004 | 03:18 AM
Range Rover

I'm wondering if the low end problem is a clutch issue, and not the engine. Rode up and down the side of some steep dirt hills and a small mountain and the quad was very stable, good engine braking. Found out the plastics are strong after i slammed a few logs and small trees by accident, but i'm worried about cracking the front or rear body, because the whole thing has to be replaced as one piece. Lands smooth after catching some air, still playing with the shock adjustments. Fuel mileage is awesome, trying 93oct for now. Steers easy through tight trails, even in 4wd. A few mods and the machine will be close to perfect. I did notice my front tires are toed out, i hope this isn't a big problem. Why would they use the KQ name again, and not give it something else.

Old 11-04-2004 | 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

GREAT POST Cam650. Thanks for giving us a review. My initial thoughts about the KQ were similar to what you have experienced. I figured where the KQ lacked in low end punch, it would probably make up for with handling. I have read on another site similar reviews. One question though,

Is the front grill plastic eaisly breakable??? I have seen the vinsion 500 and the front plastic looks weak.

Again, thanks for the great post, as usual.

Old 11-04-2004 | 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I recently bought a king quad and this is my take on the machine.
Power:
just as CAM 650 stated the prairie 700 has way better low end. I have a neighbor who has one and when we raced he toasted me until about 150ft and I steadily started to pull away from him. I am not sure why it has such a hesitation out of the hole, but the low end is less than impressive. Once the thing starts to go it seems to have a very good pull to it. As far as the fuel injection, It is no more, if not less responsive than my old 03 vinson that had a jet kit in it. Mine backfires and sometime stalls. If I goose the throtle 2-3 times it will either backfire or spit out the intake. It is now at the dealer and being looked at. The sales person that I bought mine from said he just recieved some yellow ones and said that they seem to be much better low end than the red ones.( I was told that the yellow ones we're the last ones to be manafactured). Maybe they realized something was wrong and changed something. Maybe it is a coinceidence.
Handleling:
Once i adjusted the pre load on the shocks, this thing will take any thing I can throw at it. I feel very safe on this machine. I have ridden the prarie a few times and I feel the KQ handles much better. The prairie seems to plow when pushed hard around corners and seems to have genral all around sloppy feel to it. The KQ feels much lighter and more agile.
All in all I think the KQ is an awesome machine. It obviously have some issues with the fuel injection, but I am sure that it will be taken care of and I will be ripping up the trails in no time.

Old 11-04-2004 | 10:25 PM
|
Pro Rider

700vtwinman,

Thank you for your kind words. The front end protection is adequate. I wouldn't go out on a limb and call it tough by any stretch of the imagination.

I was riding mine this evening trying to get a better handle on the speed characteristics of the KQ. I came away from the whole experience pissed. The low end power is simply unacceptable. The quad is such a great overall big bore with the exception of lack of low-end, the very essence of a big bore. Every other aspect of this quad is as good or better than any other big bore today. In high gear from a dead stop it will not wheelie. In low gear it will but not very well. I'm not used to having dull low-end power as my last two quads were a TP700 and a BF. Those quads absolutely RIP on the low-end. KAWASAKI: PLEASE introduce fuel injection to the BF and/or the Prairie. I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Hopefully an aftermarket company will introduce a fix to the problem. I'm sure you all are tired of reading my complaints!

Old 11-04-2004 | 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

I bet if you change the clutch and get the right pipe and air filter combo it will make a big differince.

Old 11-04-2004 | 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

My King quad will wheelie in low or high from a stand still and it's not even broken in. I don't know that a good hole shot was a big priority when designing this bike. With a utitliy most of the time you are all ready moving when you punch it and my bike takes off very well in my opinion. I am sure bikes vary as do riding conditions. Just my .02-

Old 11-05-2004 | 02:04 AM
Trailblazer

Mine pick's the front end in high range with no problem and its packing 220 lbs. This was right off the show room floor with stock tires now with the mud lites it really hook's up. Maybe you have some tuning gremlens. Mine also seems to have lots of bottom end and I am riding at 3 to 4 thousand ft elavation. Pete[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2004 | 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe the carb needs re-jetted lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2004 | 04:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine has 33 miles of hard break-in on it and it wont do a wheelie in High range.

In low range,from 3mph on up,it will NOW spill you over backwards if you are on hardpack.My engine is loosening up alot and the fan does not come on nearly as often as it did when it was brand new.

If this quad holds up,it will be the most complete ATV package for me.

Bill

Quick Reply: KING QUAD EVALUATION