Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

KING QUAD EVALUATION

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004 | 08:29 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default KING QUAD EVALUATION

I just bought a KQ today and rode it for about an hour. I've owned many big bore quads (BF, TP700, SP700 & P650) and have had significant saddle time on others (Grizz). The following is my initial thoughts on the KQ:

Power:

Prior to buying my KQ, I posed the question on this forum about the KQ's power. The answers I received were vague at best. Many people seemed to beat around the bush concerning this issue. My KQ isn't even close to being broken in, but I can tell you this. The BF and P700 would walk all over it. The SP700 would beat it and the P650 and Grizz would either stay close or even with it. That is just the facts, it's not an indictment against the KQ, so don't message me back about how that's not all that's important or that you didn't buy it because it wa the fastest blah, blah, blah. The quad needs more low end, period. The mid-range is great and I've read that the top end is supreme but who cares? I don't ever plan on going 72 on my utility quad. So, if power is your primary consideration for a utility quad, buy a Brute Force. There simply is no equal. I'm going to buy another BF soon.

Handling and Ride Characteristics:

This is where the KQ shines. I've read that the Rincon is the king of handling among IRS quads. I've never rode one so I can't compare the two. I can compare it against the BF, SP 700 and the Grizz. It's simply head and shoulders above than the ones that I have ridden. It's very close to the Prairie. It slides awesome. It's not even remotely tippy. It's manners at speed are impeccable. It's so easy to go fast on this quad. It inspires confidence. It feels VERY stable and planted at speed and around corners. My BF was just plain scary around corners. The KQ has little vibration, a fact that runs contrary to some reports I've read. It is VERY comfortable at speed going over bumps and other obstacles.

Ergonomics and Quality:

The riding position is very comfortable. The controls are laid out very nicely. It's the best in this area of any quad I have ridden. The gear shifter is very crisp. The racks are powder coated. The finish is as good or better than any quad I've ever owned. I love the lights.

In closing, I've had very little real seat time on the KQ. I'll amend or add to this report as I ride it more. Overall, the KQ is an awesome quad. I would recommend it to a friend in a heart beat, especially those who don't crave absolute power. The EFI feature was the sole reason for my purchase of the KQ. The Sportsman's are simply too heavy for my taste so I had no other option. I wish the KQ had more low end, if it did it would be the perfect quad.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have on the KQ, I'll do my best to answer them.

Old 11-02-2004 | 08:38 PM
Range Rover

Okay, I'll give you the Brute but no way is a Polaris 700 going to beat the KingQuad.

So are you going to sell the KQ or you're getting another BF in addition to? That's quite the fleet you've got.

Old 11-02-2004 | 08:58 PM
|
Pro Rider

Hi Chainman,

If the KQ didn't hesitate from 0-8 or 9 I would agree that it would beat the SP700. I think the SP700 EFI would take it as it stands now though. The 800 EFI will, in all likelihood, destroy a KQ.

I'm not going to sell my KQ. I really like it. I've already sold the BF seen in those pics. I absolutley believe that EFI is the way of the future. Truth be known, I probably won't get another BF because it doesn't have EFI. I'll wait and see what Yamaha comes out with or maybe Kawasaki will release a BF EFI next year.

I don't want to imply that I'm bashing the KQ, that's not my intention. It does however, lack the power that the Kawasaki's have.

Old 11-02-2004 | 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with your post. But try riding the KQ in off camber and I think you will see it gets tippy. The shocks are to soft for real aggressive riding. For medium and under speeds the shocks are fine, but when you start pushing it, you will soon find the limit of the KQ. I don't know if the KQ in the 12hr race had any new shocks yet since the KQ was only out a month, but was told it rolled. If it had stock shocks on it, that would not suprise me. I called Elka and they still don't have shocks for it yet.

Old 11-02-2004 | 11:04 PM
Range Rover

I think the KQ engine is very tight...the vibration gets less and less as she breaks in(so I've herd from the fellas with over a hundred clicks on em). Power gets better too I'm told. I'm not draging anyone yet...I do have two buds with Grizzleys just begging to race, and another freind is buying a polaris 700efi, he's a little on the wild side and I'm sure he will be asking for a race. I think the KQ will beat both of those quads...it will not beat a BF. The KQ is the "lightest" feeling quad I've ever ridden, it feels lighter then our wolverine! Steers better too! It might take a BF if you started at say 10mph...where the KQ really kicks in...but it would more likely be just very close. My Dad drives a AC650...so I'm sure that when we get together there will be some fun! Very pleased thus far with this quad!

Old 11-02-2004 | 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Well after the engine breaks in then I'll love to hear if you still think it needs more power. What about a few basic mods to improve what suzuki left out.

Old 11-02-2004 | 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

so, i just have one question, if the burte is so tippy why get another one,doesn't make sense to me

Old 11-02-2004 | 11:58 PM
|
Pro Rider

Monzooki,

The BF would take the KQ if you start from 0 or any other speed other than top end, I promise.

Quad Duck,

I hope mods do come out that remedy the lack of low end. As I stated earlier, that's all the KQ needs.

Cowboy Fred,

I never stated that the BF was tippy. I stated that the KQ is much better in that area though. I would get a BF EFI in a heart beat because of one reason[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]OWER. If any of you doubt me, ride one.

Old 11-03-2004 | 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

Well if they do usally you loose top end to gain on the bottom so it will probably work out for you.

Old 11-03-2004 | 07:41 PM
Range Rover

I agree that EFI is the way to go. It was a plus when I was looking at the KQ but now that I have it I'm not sure I could go without. It's so nice not to have to worry about jetting, choking, etc. I've had the Squash from 4,000 to 9,000 feet and it runs perfectly. The best part may be the milage, It's very easy on the petrol.

The EFI may be a different story for those who want to add pipes etc. but it's perfect for me. I'm for sure going to look into a cdi upgrade when they come out, I'm pretty sure the KQ has some built in safety features to protect me from myself, that won't do.

Quick Reply: KING QUAD EVALUATION