Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger Carberator Woes Continue-HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005 | 05:49 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Eiger Carberator Woes Continue-HELP!

Brief history:

A few weeks ago I turned the air/fuel mixture out (counterclockwise) 1.5 turns because it seemed it was running lean(hard to stay idling when cold). Seemd to be okay but only drove it a few minutes.

Went today. Very cold. Teens and with windchill probably 0 or below. Elevation about 3000 feet. Started fine and idled fine. Get up to about 3900 feet and when come to idle it dies. Choke it and it fires up but take choke off it dies. Put back on full choke and raise idle speed and turn choke off. Seems to be okay.

Ride around for a few hours. Come back up mountain and once I get to the top and have it full throttle it quits. Come to a stop, full choke and it starts, release choke and dies. Full choke give it gas put in high and go and then turn choke off.

Come down mountain and it started to backfire. Get close to vehicle and it dies again. Crank it up with choke and get it to the trailer.

Seems to have hesitation now and not smooth on the throttle. Didn't feel like wrenching on it due to cold weather. I believe I could also smell gas while riding. HELP!

how many turns out should the air/fuel mixture be? Can you turn it all the way (clockwise) and then back it off from there. How many turns. Thanks

Old 01-23-2005 | 05:59 PM
Trailblazer

You need a Jet 1 kit, eigers hate elevation and cold weather

Old 01-23-2005 | 06:56 PM
Trailblazer

Try another turn out on the air/fuel screw and install a larger jet. The plug is probably fowled from to much choke.

Old 01-23-2005 | 07:05 PM
|
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: sliver
Try another turn out on the air/fuel screw and install a larger jet. The plug is probably fowled from to much choke.
I will pull the plug when I get the chance. I assume when you say to turn the screw out you do mean turning it counterclockwise. Thanks

PS. Seems Suzuki should have a recall on the jet size if it can't run worth a crud in elevation or cold weather. Heck, that is where many ATV's are used.

Old 01-23-2005 | 09:24 PM
Trailblazer

my repair manual says to turn the fuel/mixture screw in all the way, lightly seating it, then back it out 1 7/8 turns. worth a try.

Old 01-23-2005 | 09:40 PM
|
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: boyfox
my repair manual says to turn the fuel/mixture screw in all the way, lightly seating it, then back it out 1 7/8 turns. worth a try.
That is good information. Now, is the 1 7/8 turns a factory setting. I would assume it is. Therefore, would you say I need to turn it out an additional 2 - 2.5 more turns out in my situation. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-23-2005 | 09:59 PM
PD
Trailblazer

Cherokee,
Sounds like we are experiencing very similar problems(except mine restarts without issue and does not backfire). I have a thread going stating"Jetting Eiger for altitude". I have to run with choke set half way or it will die if I turn it off. What screw are you turning to adjust? Is that the white colored deal that looks like a plastic sprocket and is attached to the cable and runs underneath out to the side for easy access?

Just trying to get the terminology down

Thanks

Old 01-23-2005 | 10:51 PM
|
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: PD
Cherokee,
Sounds like we are experiencing very similar problems(except mine restarts without issue and does not backfire). I have a thread going stating"Jetting Eiger for altitude". I have to run with choke set half way or it will die if I turn it off. What screw are you turning to adjust? Is that the white colored deal that looks like a plastic sprocket and is attached to the cable and runs underneath out to the side for easy access?

Just trying to get the terminology down

Thanks
You are referring to the idle adjusment screw. You can raise or lower the idle speed by turning this. The air/fuel mixture screw is located on the bottom of the carb. I removed my gas tank and unhooked the carb to adjust it last time but I think you can just loosen the clamps on either side of the carb and twist it sideways and adjust the screw. At least I am going to try this before removing the tank and all that plastic. I am going to reseat mine and then turn it out 4 1/4 turns. My factory manual says 2 1/4 turns out after lightly seating the screw. I'm going 4 1/4 because 2 1/4 is still too lean for the Eiger to run the best. Not sure why BoyFox has a manual that says 1 7/8 but I looked at mine and it says 2 1/4. I don't know if it could be different depending on transmissions but mine is an auto. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2005 | 11:44 PM
PD
Trailblazer

Cherokee,
Ok, Well then I adjusted what I thought I adjusted. Now comes the other. Looks like I will have to bring it home and get it squared away. I have it stored where I ride it and it makes it hard to work on it.

I will pull it out. I am considering jetting it and adding the Jet1 kit as many have spoke about. Just get on with it so to speak.

But there is know doubt we are suffering with the same fuel management issue. No big deal just a little set back. Other than that the Eiger is still excellent and quite a work horse. Just some tweaking to make it perfect.

Let me know how yours responds to the adjustments.

Thanks

PD

Old 01-24-2005 | 01:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If you find the mixture screw needs to be 4 turns out, or more, then its time to put in the next bigger pilot jet. The mixture screw is the fine tune for the pilot cicuit. The normal range for the screw, is more than one turn and less than 4 turns...out from lightly seated.
If you need to use the choke to get it started or keep it running, either the idle speed is too low, or its too lean. Using the choke adds gas , thru the starter jet.
Heres a good article on jetting, and troubleshooting. Let us know how it goes.

jetting