Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Limited Slip vs 2 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited Slip vs 2 wheel drive

You keep hearing all this talk about how a locking front end is so much better than a limited slip.

Is limited slip that bad? If it is, is it that much better than a 2 wheel drive. For instance...will a 4x4 Eiger go through a lot more mud and difficult terrain than the 2 wheel drive model or are they pretty close.

Is there anything that a limited slip is better at going through than a locking front?

I love the Vinson and would love to buy one........the only thing stopping me is the lack of the locking front end. I dont go looking for deep mud but if I come across it, I like to go through it occasionally.

(dunno if I can wait to see if 2006 had locking front)...

Old 03-30-2005, 09:40 PM
Range Rover

A 4x4 is always going to be able to go more places than a 2x, especially for easing up steep hills. I've had my Vinson for a year now and I've only been stuck once. The main reason I got stuck was I went through a mud hole that was eat out more on one side and my wheeler was leaning too far over to one side to stay on it so I had to more or less push it out while giving it gas. Having a limited slip hasn't bothered me yet and I ride alot of mounatinous terrain with lots of creeks. I did however just purchase a locker Monday night that I'm hoping will be here by the weekend so I can test it out. It hasn't made a diference for me not having it, it's just something I wanted to upgrade to. I couldn't justify buying it other than just because I wanted it. You can always buy one yourself if your not satisified with the 4x4 performance. The one I purchased ran me $325. But I can tell you one thing, my friend has a 2x4 and he has lots of problems going places that I ease through. So pretty much what I'm saying is even with a limited slip, your still going to go lots of places safely that might be rougher with a 2 wheel drive.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Stainless

I love the look of the Bighorns on the black Vinson. How do you find the black for showing scratches and dirt. I was looking at a black Vinson a couple of days ago with 26" mudlites.

Also, how are the Bighorns in the mud and for climbing over big obstacles. I like the look of them better than the mudlites ...

I have it down to a Vinson or Kodiak 450.....I just find that I am crouched on the Kodiak...almost like its made for smaller people...plus....I think once I put 26" tires on it will rob it of a bit o power. Stock, the kodiak has guts but I think once you put bigger tires on it , it doesnt have that much power to spare. The Vinson just feels better when your sitting on it....your more upright...just feels more natural.

I want the bigger tires because up her in northern Ontario the spring is wet and muddy from April until June....and even in the summer I have to go through some nasty spots or to get where I'm going.

Id love to find out how your locker works.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:31 AM
Range Rover

The black does show scratches a little better than some other colors but I would buy the same color again if I had to do it over.

As far as how the Bighorns are in performance, I don't know yet. I put them on the weekend before last and weather and work has prevented me from riding. We have a ride planed for Saturday so hopefully I can test them out and see what their made of. I'll let you know.

Old 04-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

The 4x4 option is always there with the flip of a switch, and believe me, it makes a huge difference. I'm also getting the detroit gearless locker tho since I have had occasions where 1 front wheel would let loose and I would have to be winched out.

Vin581 will tell you its one of the best mods out there and he knows all the tricks.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It depends on which type of limited slip you get, whether its speed sensing or torque sensing. The tourque sensing type, can be 'forced', into 4x4, by squeezing the front brake, which sends the torque to the other side. This wont work on a speed sensing type. Seems to me the front diff on a vinson is torque sensing , and the brake trick should work on that. If you get it and are disappointed, you can always put in an after market locker.
Every quad has its downside or limitations. After riding them awhile, you get used to the workarounds. The 2wd quads can go thru alot of stuff, especially if you can keep it moving...but if you stop, it can be real tough to get going again.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

As usual, Hondabuster, you are so right.