Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Yoshi Skid Plate Warning.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yoshi Skid Plate Warning.

Hey all, been awhile since I have posted or even really checked the forums. I just wanted to shoot you guys a little warning about the Yoshi full chassis skid plate.

I had mine installed for about two months on a brand new 2004 Z400. Yes I put it on myself, but trust me it was put on correctly, and everything was nice and tight. About two weeks into riding with the skid plate, I noticed a clanking sound. I checked out the bike, and the front of the skid had come loose from the frame.

I took the bike home, re-adjusted the plate, re-torqued all screws, and went about my business. Well about a month ago (haven't been riding much since) I was over at my cousins, and we were all kind of goofing around with a little jump behind his house. I came off the jump a bit nose first when all of the sudden the bike flipped, and sent me to the ground, with it landing on top of me.

It badly bruised my ribs, terrible road rash, and screwed up my left knee.

Here is the kicker; that damned Yoshi skid popped off when I landed the jump, stuck itself into the ground, and pole vaulted both me and my bike.

My uncle and cousin both watched it happen. They said "Yeah you came down a little nose first, but then your skid plate jumped loose and your bike went over."

If you are into jumping, DO NOT use a Yoshi skid plate.

You have been warned.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Oh I guarantee you if it had been me, every manager at Yoshi would be hearing about this! Do you know why it actually came loose? Did the bolts just back out or did they tear holes in the skid, or worse did the bolts strip? Maybe a little bit of loctite is needed? Sorry to hear about your bangup, hope you and your bike are well soon.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

The bike came through it fairly well. I replaced the bars, and had to put all the controls back in order (really screwed up the throttle) but the plastics were almost in perfect shape. I think I broke the bikes fall. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

The mount simply popped off the frame on the front. It wasn't loose, because just that very morning I had detailed the bike, and went through and torqued all the bolts.

What's funny is my Suzuki dealer (who sold me the bike and skids) told me he would make me a deal on a new one. I laughed and told him I would NOT be putting another skid on the bike.

Yeah, you pay TOP dollar for the Yoshi name, and get creamed in the process. That's Irony.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Step 1) Call Yoshi, explain what happened and see what their response is. If they don't have a number or you can't get ahold of someone "important" see step 2
Step 2) Call the Better Business Bureau, your Attorney General and consumer protection agency. Seems to me you got a defective product and if Yoshi won't stand behind or atleast do something about it, start making phone calls. This really worries me, what happens if you were coming off a jump at 40 mph?

Old 04-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: MeYHymN
Step 1) Call Yoshi, explain what happened and see what their response is. If they don't have a number or you can't get ahold of someone "important" see step 2
Step 2) Call the Better Business Bureau, your Attorney General and consumer protection agency. Seems to me you got a defective product and if Yoshi won't stand behind or atleast do something about it, start making phone calls. This really worries me, what happens if you were coming off a jump at 40 mph?
If I was coming off a jump at 40mph, I would of landed flat on all four wheels. Part of the issue was that I was just screwing around, and didn't take the jump all that seriously thus landing a bit nose first.

HOWEVER, that skid should not of come loose EVER!

I called Yoshimura after it happened. Wasn't installed by an authorized Yosh dealer, I am S.O.L.

This was just a fair warning for those of you who have the skid, or are contemplating purchasing one.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider

im sorry to here what happened but i have hered of this and experienced this as well many times in the past it is caused bu the frame flexing and the 2004 are know for this the skid just come loose, the only way i have found to stop this is with my own mounts if anybody needs a pic let me know i will try to get one.