Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Rancher vs Eiger Manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 02:05 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rancher vs Eiger Manual

I have two Rancher 350's, and need another 4X4. I really like the Rancher package (big enough, but also not the huge, heavy, hulking beast that all the big bore utilities have evolved into), but would naturally like more power. By "power"I don't mean speed, I mean low end torque to climb huge nasty hills, with sketchy traction. (If I want to go FAST, I sure am not going to be on any utility when I have a stable of sport bikes with desert race suspensions!) Anyway, I don't really want any rubber band automatics, and the Rancher AT has a reputation for not having much low end power. There is also the new Honda Foreman 500 (manual), but that is a step up in both size and weight. Discussion about the Hondas--- http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...1=rancher%20at A couple of advantages I like about Hondas are that the engines are transverse mounted, they are dry sump design for a low profile that keeps the weight low in the chassis, and they just have a low first gear instead of a (heavier) transfer case.

So, there is the Eiger 400 manual to consider. It has the added power of a 400, and the manual transmission that I prefer. First off, I think they are ugly, but I can overlook that (not willing to do that with women though). Other than that, I know nothing about them. I have never ridden one, and I don't know anybody who has. (So. Calif. is sport bike country, so finding someone who has any particular utility model, is pretty rare.) So, I would appreciate your opinions..............

On the utes I almost exclusively ride high altitude western mountains. Not much mud, but lots of rocks and stream crossings. And lots of snow banks to bash through in the spring. We do "quad camp" occasionally, but being a backpacker I know how to pack ultralight so carrying capacity isn't a big issue. If I need a machine for work, it will only be light stuff.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reconranger-

I recently purchased a Rancher and an Eiger. My wife rides the Rancher ES (she likes the push button tranny). Plus she can see what gear she is in. I ride the Eiger, which I chose since it had better reviews than the Rancher, but only slightly better. And for a slightly bigger bike I spent less for the Eiger.

I like the fact that the Eiger has selectable 2wd/4wd. It moves pretty good and I really haven't used the low gear yet, but the clearance on the Eiger is better for those rocks you mentioned. The seat hieght is similar (Eiger is 1/4" higher). Bigger tires and fuel tank on the Eiger. All this for 42 extra lbs.

The Honda does EASILY beat the Eiger in looks. Although, I wouldn't be surprised that the Eiger gets a facelift in 06 since all of the other Suzukis, including the Ozark (the 250cc), have a much sportier look. Also the LCD display on the Honda is nice.

Here is a review I used to help pick the Eiger for myself. The Rancher is this review was the 400 and not the 350 I purchased for my wife. Wife was stuck on the Rancher, I wasn't going to argue.

400 class ATV Reviews

Old 05-13-2005, 12:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time out, my dad and I were riding my Eigers and got into some rough stuff climbing some pretty steep hills. We put them in low range and crawled up slow and easy. If it wasn't so muddy, we probably could have left them in 2WD. The low range is really powerful IMO.

BTW, I don't see why people think the Eiger is so ugly... with the 05 model year, they put on flush-mounted headlights and smoothed the front fenders a little. The bumper is the only thing that kinda looks outta place, but the aftermarket can fix that.