Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

King quad, worst handling quad ever?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005 | 11:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default King quad, worst handling quad ever?

Is this right?

"riding 10mph and up, hit the brakes ,(front) and turn, and it want to roll you "

You drive over 10 mph, then hit the front brakes and then turn the steering?

Old 06-21-2005 | 01:38 PM
Range Rover

well, for the brute, i have to really weight the inside peg and take all your weight off the outside peg. I do that and my brute handles every turn fine. The KQ is better than the BF at handling so i would say just make sure you got ur out sideleg off the outside peg and ur body weight on the inside peg and things shoul be fine.

Old 06-21-2005 | 02:11 PM
Trailblazer

I agree mike, the steering sucks on the KQ. It got really bad when I added mudlites and is pretty much a death trap with the tri claws on it. The front end is way to soft. The stance of the quad is nose down, putting alot of weight on the front. Those two things are part of the problem, the rest must be design. Also if you grab the front by hand and pick up on it you can feel about 2 inches of suspension travel that really doesnt have any compression or rebound. Not good. Mine wants to go full lock all the time especially going down hills fast or slow, it does what it wants. Caused me to roll down a hill once. The other day I tried to" muscle "it out and the junk tied rod bent so then the tire was pointing right, but the bars were turned left. So I guess I'll probably up grade the tie rods some day since they are kinda weak, get a stabilizer so that it will only turn when I want it to, and maybe some day a module will be available so this thing doesn'y feel like a 4 speed car trying to take off taking off in 3rd gear. I came from riding a vinson 5 speed and not even one time can I recall any bad steering characteristics.

Old 06-21-2005 | 08:22 PM
|
Trailblazer

will trade my king quad for rincon if anybody is interested? if not i guess i got to get tie rod kit, steering stab kit, spring kit,etc.... just to handle good

Old 06-23-2005 | 06:44 AM
Trailblazer

I broke down and ordered the stabilizer today, next I'm gonna order some decent tierods. I'll try spending a little more cash on this thing before I lose my **** trying to sell it or trade it.

Old 07-28-2005 | 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

I recently traded my Z400 in on a 700 KQ and I couldn’t agree more, the KingQuad has more body roll then any quad I’ve ever ridden.
I just sold a 2000 Sportsman 500, and that 5 year old quad rode nicer, felt better planted and had half the body roll of the KingQuad.
I’m completely disappointed in its handling.
Between the twitchy steering and it constantly trying to flop over in every turn over 10 MPH, I’m a little afraid to let my wife ride this thing. I get it with the hopes that she could better keep up with me on my bike but she is slower on the KQ then she was on the Sportsman.
The quad is primarily her ride and now I’m wondering if I made the right decision.
Has anyone else noticed the clunky feeling coming from the engine breaking? It feels like your driving over tiny speed bumps every time the engine braking is engaged.

Old 07-28-2005 | 03:02 PM
Range Rover

Mega,

I'm really surprise to hear your concern... My wife rides a KQ and rides it fast... I'm guessing you have already experimented with tire pressure and spring preloads??? I have two from two different production lots and I haven't experiance the problems some folks have but then again that doesn't mean much. I would take it back if you could... If you or your wife are not comfortable with it, it would be difficult to enjoy it...

Good LUck,

Hibrass

Old 07-28-2005 | 08:16 PM
|
Trailblazer

sorry guys a ricon does handle better, take it from me i now know.

Old 07-29-2005 | 12:21 AM
Range Rover

Before I bought my KQ, I had my search narrowed down between the rincon and the KQ. My honest opinion, the King Quad handled much better in turns than the rincon. Maybe the problem people are having is just a certain preference for handling.

Old 07-29-2005 | 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

I owned a Honda Rincon and it did handle well. The faster you rode it the better bike is was. However, I couldn't stand the tranmission and the lack of power for a 650. I have ridden the King Quad aggressively and it also handles very well. The interesting thing about the King is that it does feel like it has some body roll but in off camber situations it is much less tippy than the Rincon. The engine is canted 45 degrees and the fuel tank is down low in the frame. I think the softer suspension creates the body roll but it doesn't take away from the stability of it.

Quick Reply: King quad, worst handling quad ever?