Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

z450 inside info

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 01:32 PM
TPR
The Champ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z450 inside info

No, you don't necessarily need a battery with EFI as I found out, but I bet it would help as opposed to a stator driver EFI. Apparently there have been a number of snowobiles with battery-less EFI. As for the lights, again it is not needed with a stator. Most old ATC's and ATV's had no battery, though on stator power the light intensity fluctuates with the RPM's.

TPR

Old 07-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default z450 inside info

yes their are snowmoblies and some trials bikes that are batteryless and efi to.and on those the system is fed power from a high - energy magneto and capacitor.i know not everyone called bs on it but a lot did when i said its was going to have efi.my source says price they think on the ltz450r is somewhere around $7500. your getting a lot of quad for the price.but within 3 years all top model quads are going to be efi.from the honda racers i talk to the trx 450r is going to be efi and frame changes for 2006.but those are rumors on the honda i don't have a insider with info on that one.but if true its good for everyone[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default z450 inside info

Red Goblin-you maybe correct on the yfz450 with no fuel injection. I read the article quickly in DW and I know the 700 Raptor is fuel injected for sure but I thought it said both new models were. It would be great in a year or so if Suzuki made a 450z or 500z trail machine/woods machine and not a full out racer. Yami is supposed to be doing that with their 450 by changing the gear ratio's,etc...which I think is a smart idea.

Old 07-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default z450 inside info

I remember reading an article online about Honda's EFI system that doesn't need a battery to run it also. It probably would benefit it with a battery however to run the headlights, taillights, ignition, and brake lights if equipped. I remember the Kaw Mojaves didn't have a battery and the lights would get really dim when the engine was idling. They got almost useless at times.

To answer some of the confusion about the Yamaha YFZ450, it DOES NOT have EFI for '06.

Lets say I'm looking for a machine to trailride with and I like the Z400 but I want a machine with YFZ type of power. Sure I could get the Z400 and modify it, but it would be easier and more reliable (and save a lot of time) to just get the YFZ or 450R. What I'm getting at is the YFZ did so well but got a lot of criticism about its trail manners. Yamaha addressed the trail riding manners of it in '06. They want as many sales as they can get. That's why I think if the Suzuki 450 comes out ready for the track it will lose a ton of sales. There are a lot more trail riders than there are racers. rooster

Old 07-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default z450 inside info

You're going to go with the 450R aren't you?

Old 07-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default z450 inside info

I doubt though touted as an "MX" ready quad, the 450 will be "that" track ready. Sure, they may design somthing that can be more easily tuned for MX, but I'm betting that all this race ready talk will translate to being just as easily tuned for XC or desert for that matter.
Sure, they say that Doug and Jeremiah will be able to run stock shocks, a-arms etc, but I can assure you that those shocks will be re-valved and sprung for each situation, just like aftermarket shocks are. So the same would hold true for XC or desert. You can take 1 elka shock and tune it for all conditions.
I think if the price is right Suzuki will have a hit on thier hands.

Old 07-06-2005, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default z450 inside info

if it comes out and its like it said in the article im sure it will kill on the track but anywhere else it will be almost useless. its going to be really wide and low and thats not always the best. i dont know why you need to be any wider or lower than the yfz already is. unless you are doing serious MX of course. part that kinda confused me was about the batter box being put somewhere low. if its only used for the headlights/ tailights then wouldnt a racer bag it anyways? maybe it does run the EFI. ill be interested in seeing one of these when they come out. im really curious.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default z450 inside info

If suzuki went to the trouble to put a battery on the bike, I bet it has electric start. Wide and low won't hurt on the dunes a bit. It may be too wide for gncc racing {this is yet to be seen}, but it's not too wide for general trail riding. Also if it is lower than yfz, I doubt it's more than an inch.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default z450 inside info

Yeah, squeezing through trees would be the only problem I would foresee as far as the width and wheelbase go. I bet it would be an absolute blast on wide trails and fire roads[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default z450 inside info

One thing you guys aren't considering, is that there are a lot of guys that have to have the best performance bike out there even if they will ride it on the trails. So if zuki comes out with a really great MX quad, there will still be plenty of them on the trails, not to mention dunes to.

I think buying the baddest quad when you can't even use it to it's potential makes up for the lack of testicular fortitude of some guys[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: z450 inside info