Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Any advise on unleshing the King Quad? clutching, ect.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advise on unleshing the King Quad? clutching, ect.

Love my 05 KQ but she's a bit of a slug out of the hole. need some tips. Anybody done any mods on theirs that made a difference?

Old 10-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard some guys say that they've gotten some good performance gains from the Dobeck TFI, and small performance gains from the EPI clutch kit.
As you've probably already heard the reason for the "sug out of the hole" is because Suzuki limited the King's power on take-off for safety, but Yoshimura, the closest company to Suzuki, claims that they will come out with a entirely new ECM to fix the King's low end lag planned for January, it will be the biggest performance gain over the others, and it will certainly unleash all the power hidding in the KQ!! So I recommend that you save your money for the new ECM, because the stock ECM cost's around $300, so the aftermarket should cost at least that.

Old 10-16-2005, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

Hopefully the aftermarket ECM will fix the reverse override issue and let people use the reverse as originally intended before the Suzuki "fix".

Old 10-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from a 35 mile ride in the woods,I will not be getting any "chip" for my Quad! I could have been seriously hurt I do believe if the bike was set up any different. I was easing around a downed tree when a limb sprang back and pushed me into the handle bars,alas I also hit the throttle,it happened so fast I couldn't re act quick enough. I was able to stall it with the brake....so I will not need a chip,Suzuki did this for a reason and I will except their position and not monkey with the "lag"...BTW,the ride was super,35 miles of the easiest riding I have ever done, the KQ is a fun machinemand worth the price. My Rincon never rode as well are had the power.Love the F I too!

Old 10-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

pwillie, quite honestly the chances of that freak accident occurring again are very slim to none. If you are happy with the King's low-end as is, then you're lucky and you will save some money because you are a minority. However, most of us are not satisfied with it and if you have any question at all as to whether or not you'd like more bottom-end "pop", I think you should really consider this ECM from Yoshimura because honestly, chip or no chip, I don't think it would make a dramatic difference in that same kind of situation, if by some odd stroke of bad luck it actually happened again.

Old 10-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer

i will be the first in line for this "chip", if suzuki doesnt want to unleash the full power of the 700 efi than why build it, suzuki should just sell a 400 efi with full power unleashed, oh thats right a 400 would be cheaper on the customer, i dont understand all these atv companies building these big atv's only to limit the preformance, would anybody buy a corvette if it was limited to 80-90 mile per hour?? so why build atv on the same idea, i know for me i want to get all 7000$ out of my KQ without spending an extra 1000$ on pipe, air filter and now this new ecm, come on suzuki honda kaw poloris get your head out of the sand and sell us what we want straight from the factory not these tamed down versions that sno one is happy with

Old 10-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: adams
i will be the first in line for this "chip", if suzuki doesnt want to unleash the full power of the 700 efi than why build it, suzuki should just sell a 400 efi with full power unleashed, oh thats right a 400 would be cheaper on the customer, i dont understand all these atv companies building these big atv's only to limit the preformance, would anybody buy a corvette if it was limited to 80-90 mile per hour?? so why build atv on the same idea, i know for me i want to get all 7000$ out of my KQ without spending an extra 1000$ on pipe, air filter and now this new ecm, come on suzuki honda kaw poloris get your head out of the sand and sell us what we want straight from the factory not these tamed down versions that sno one is happy with
I'm not sure that anyone but Suzuki has done this.

But the beauty of our free market system is that you have the right to reject this. There are plenty of alternatives to the Kingquad. If no one bought the King Quad because of the performance limitation, that would send a message to Suzuki to give the machine it's full power.

Anyone researching the possible purchase of a Kingquad on the internet would come across discussions of the "low-end-lag" and could then chooose a different machine with more low end power. The information is out there, so people can't use the excuse of "I didn't know until I bought it." If you run out and buy a $7000 machine without doing at least a little research, then you deserve what you get anyway.

People should go buy the Brute Force and then write Suzuki a letter explaining why they didn't go with the KingQuad. Enough people that do this and you will see them change the design of the KingQuad.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

GrnXnham,

I understand your post and agree but unfortunately that doesn't work and I would love for it too but it just doesn't. These forums represent the EXTREME Minority of ATV rider's. In fact in the new atrrider mag they just published the # of atv's sold in each state annually and at 80k CA had the most with 2nd around 40k and so on........this site probably isn't even close to 5,000 active members.....now that is a guess and maybe I am way off but you get the point. I would love for that to work but it just doesn't.....it's like people saying in an earlier post that we should all not use gas for one day......I'd love to know how that will work....

The other thing I wanted to say is obvious but I will say it anyway......you said people should do their homework before buying a 7k quad....I AGREE!!! I am one of those doing my homework and will still (most likely) end up with a KQ over a BF....why? Because I am doing my homework and I want a smoother ride with better suspension and I want EFI. Does this mean that the BF is bad or does it mean that you said the KQ is bad.........heck NO! I just think it is a little ridiculous to say that just because someone buys a KQ knowing there is that lag that they basically made a mistake. Remember when we all road 300 and 400's and we went plenty fast??? For me it is all about a combo of the ride, comfort, power, and many other features........I am still not 100% on any one quad but nothing is perfect and that def includes the BF.

Old 10-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Stocks

Yeah, I'm sure there are thousands of people who are thrilled with their KingQuad and that's great. If 90% are happy with it, then maybe they should just leave it alone and let the aftermarket people make the speed upgrades.

Afterall, it is a ute not a sports quad and I'm sure the hunters and ranchers don't care as much about the low-end lag as a sports quad owner would.

My comment was really in case there was something like 50% of KingQuad owners who are unhappy with their quad. If it was that many, the sheer power of word-of-mouth might be enough to hurt Suzuki and make them rethink their design of the KingQuad.

Old 10-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

GrnXnham,

This has nothing at all to do with you......I really don't think the 0-9 mph lag will bother me....I can walk at 4.5 mph's (briskly) and I really don't know that I will be punching the throttle...who knows. How long does it take to get past 10mph on the KQ? 2 seconds or so? just asking....

Quick Reply: Any advise on unleshing the King Quad? clutching, ect.