Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Let's revisit the Eiger Jetting..Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 11:04 PM
PD
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's revisit the Eiger Jetting..Please

OK, so some of you read my post about my dealer experience recently. So I got the quad back today and found out that they took the 122 jet out and went to a 118. They went leaner. The premise behind the change was that I use this quad at 5000-6000 ft and common jetting sense says to lean it out. However it appears from me reading the Eiger jetting posts the jetting is already way to lean. Anyway so I got the ATV back today after they fixed the "having to have the choke on full all time". It started Ok I drove it around the block checking it out and when I let off the throttle it backfired. Shortly after getting back on the gas it did it again then died. I have not been able to start again. The Eiger is dead. I called the dealer and explained this and they said bring it back. Well that is easy to say.

So I have a few questions:

So any of you guys ride your Eiger at elevation?

Why now is the Eiger the backfiring, my car racing experience tells me this is now way to lean.

Why the back fire then the inability to start and have it run again?

I am taking it back tomorrow and want to tell them what I WANT DONE, not what they say needs to be done. I knew I should have done this junk myself...It is what I get for being lazy but I am commited as I spent money and want my money's worth.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

I put a stage one kit in mine to alleviate the jet problem. it is a 118 from dynojet. For some reason their numbering is not the same as the other manufacturers. Maybe they used one of their jets to correct. On the backfiring and now not running. I know mine will backfire and die when I run out of fuel. When I switch to reserve fires up right away and away I go. Check your fuel valve to make sure it is working properly. You might also have dirt in the carb or an obstuction in the fuel system which caused it to lean out, and now no fuel getting to engine to start. Similiar to when you run out of gas.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Adjust the small air mixture screw on the front of the carb on the underside.

Old 11-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

I went to the Keihin (sp?) 128 jet in mine back when I had the stock carb on, and I rode up a local mountain called King Mountain, and that was about 4500ft elevation. Ran great! I've never experienced more than a mild loss of power at high elevations. Never more than that.

BTW, I just put on 26" ITP 589s!! Totally stoked. I have a new pic on my page. I never realized that my Eiger would look SO BURLY now!

Old 11-04-2005, 01:40 AM
PD
Trailblazer

Hey Nice Donuts AKSafari.

Well so I am going to give the 118 jet a try. This is a HUGE difference from yours. I am taking it to 6000 ft in 2 weeks and run it. I will let you know. Seems to be running better now

Old 11-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider

Earth magnets!! They're almost unfair on the mud. They'll make er stable too. Why no aluminum CV guards??

Old 11-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Range Rover

Alleycat brings up a good point about the numbering not being the same with different manufacturers. When I stated in the other thread that my Eigers were using the 115, I'm assuming they used the stock manufacturered jet, maybe not. I live at about 5K feet and ride mainly around 7-11K feet. They seem to really open up when we're up in the hills.

I would think going by your experiences, that the stock 122 jet would be good for riding at 5-6K feet (since it isn't for that that live near sea level) and would probably run about the way mine do when you're at home... did you say home was 1K feet?

BTW, those tires look SWEET AKSafari! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: eiger2
... Why no aluminum CV guards??
'Cause I'm a jerk.

: )

Old 11-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hemi4u2nv
Alleycat brings up a good point about the numbering not being the same with different manufacturers. When I stated in the other thread that my Eigers were using the 115, I'm assuming they used the stock manufacturered jet, maybe not. I live at about 5K feet and ride mainly around 7-11K feet. They seem to really open up when we're up in the hills.

I would think going by your experiences, that the stock 122 jet would be good for riding at 5-6K feet (since it isn't for that that live near sea level) and would probably run about the way mine do when you're at home... did you say home was 1K feet?

BTW, those tires look SWEET AKSafari! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
I live at about 1200 feet, ride up to almost 5k on occasion. When I had the stock carb, it ran fine everywhere, just exhibited lean running conditions, like backfireing (popping) on decel, excessive choke requirement when cold, and general cold-bloodedness. Is that a word?

I went to a 135 jet in my stock carb, the Vinson stock jet was 128. I swapped the 135 into my Vinson carb when I installed it. I never had rich running problems, and all my lean condition symptoms disappeared. Running a little rich is always better than lean as far as safety is concerned, and it keeps your engine heat down a little. My cold weather runability is quite good, too.

I might have earlier mis-spoke about the 128 jet in my stock carb. OOPS. I went STRAIGHT to the 135 jet.

Thanks for the tire "thumbs ups" from you all. I get 'wood' every time I walk out back of the house and look at the Eiger now. It's like I fell in love all over again... *sigh*

Old 11-05-2005, 05:57 PM
PD
Trailblazer

Well so far it is running very good with the 118 even at 1120 feet 48% humidity today. Little sluggish but should be expected at this elevation. I will be up riding at 6K feet next weekend so I will report back. So far I have not had any choke issues which is what I suffered with. So I think I have had 3 seperate issues all leading to the poor running problems.

Firstly I think the original problem was the dealer did not Prep the quad when I picked it up. It was late in the evening and I know the service guys were gone. So they prob fired ATV and said 'Good To Go" I did not pay attention much

Second was compounded by the first and it was gas went bad from sitting. Probably plug up jet or a needle seat and then it made it worse.

Third has been jetting it down for altitude so it runs sluggish.

My Final conclusion will be up in the mountains. I have all new gas with some treatement in it, a new fuel filter. A smaller jet for altitude and a quad that is now"Dealer Prep'd"

Thanks for all yor guys help.