Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Anyone had problem with rear bushings on King Quad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had problem with rear bushings on King Quad?

Actrite:

What are the a-arm add ons?

Thanks

Old 11-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Range Rover

I think he means A Arm guards to protect the boots. Trouble is, on the rear at least, they actually hold more mud and junk near the boot and cause them to twist, especially when riding in the snow and ice. Some have drilled holes in the guards to let help alleviate that to some extent.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: stocks
Zig & actrite,

Thanks, I appreciate it. I am still considering an '06 KQ and although it isn't a 1st yr model anymore I'm really not sure if they have worked out many kinks.....I guess time will tell. I think they upgraded the tie rods but the thing that scares me the most are the new possible claims that the blue smoke may not be fixed with a simple air filter. I think if it wasn't for that then it would be close to a def for me.
Stocks, so how much (percentage wise) are you still considering a new 2006 KQ? My level has dropped from being 99.99% certain that I would probably go ahead and go with the KQ to about 99.99% certain I will now definitely be going with the Grizzly instead! And, as you mentioned above, I would be extremely surprised if Suzuki has all of these new, so-called bugs worked out of the new 2006 machines; at least the ones being released in the first half of the new year. It's more than likely too late in the game now. All of these new problems (e.g., air filter, engines blowing up, bad bushings, etc.) are coming too late in the year, when you know a whole lot of new 2006 machines have already been built and are on their way to the dealers. It's late November now, after all. I seriously doubt I will be buying a KQ now. But, if I do decide to go ahead and go with one, it won't be a new 2006 that was constructed before mid-year in 2006. I'm not going to wait that long though.

One other thing...........like you, I sure am glad I have held off on buying a new big bore for many months now, and that I have been doing a ton of research on them. It definitely counts for something in the long run.

Old 11-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

Hey TopGun, I havent heard from you in a while. Hope everything is well.

Top is right about the rear guards.... They hold a ton of mud,sticks ,stones , ice ,snow...,hell, You can probably use it as an extra storage space if you want to...lol
Yeah the best bet is to drill holes in the bottom to at least let some of the mud drain out..
Zig

Old 11-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

The rear I-arm Bushings are covered under the extended warranty. Just had mine done and wanted to let you guys know.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

dshoe,

% wise I really don't know until I go and test ride all of them. I really wanted efi, irs, and a nice size engine with comfort, features, power, and w/o the most expensive price tag. (ex Pol 800, Outty 800) I know, I know....I want it all and that doesn't exist!

All of that led me to the KQ....I am still considering it but I am also considering the '06 BF 650, Prairie, and Rincon. I really doubt I end up with a Rincon but I still like the comfort and reliability aspect. Utah is in the same shoes as us with about the same timeframe as well and he is coming from 2 Vinsons. Another thing I am considering is dropping down to the 500cc level and considering a Vinson and Rubicon as well.

At this point I am really glad that I have done a lot of research but feel more confused than ever. I wish the '06 KQ is a simple fix on a $20 UNI air filter to accompany the new tie rods.......and it may be but I feel it is too early to tell. All of the quads I mentioned above are all lacking in some dept or other so at this point it feels like, "what do I want to give up?"........I like what I hear about the '06 BF650 with IRS and a nice powerful twin......but still not sure. I hear great things about the sportiness of a Prairie as well with its SRA.

I have not considered a Grizz....not saying I won't be I hear they are outdated and tippy. Are you considering any of the quads I mentioned here and why the Grizz out of curiousity?

Old 11-23-2005, 02:01 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: stocks
dshoe,

% wise I really don't know until I go and test ride all of them. I really wanted efi, irs, and a nice size engine with comfort, features, power, and w/o the most expensive price tag. (ex Pol 800, Outty 800) I know, I know....I want it all and that doesn't exist!

All of that led me to the KQ....I am still considering it but I am also considering the '06 BF 650, Prairie, and Rincon. I really doubt I end up with a Rincon but I still like the comfort and reliability aspect. Utah is in the same shoes as us with about the same timeframe as well and he is coming from 2 Vinsons. Another thing I am considering is dropping down to the 500cc level and considering a Vinson and Rubicon as well.

At this point I am really glad that I have done a lot of research but feel more confused than ever. I wish the '06 KQ is a simple fix on a $20 UNI air filter to accompany the new tie rods.......and it may be but I feel it is too early to tell. All of the quads I mentioned above are all lacking in some dept or other so at this point it feels like, "what do I want to give up?"........I like what I hear about the '06 BF650 with IRS and a nice powerful twin......but still not sure. I hear great things about the sportiness of a Prairie as well with its SRA.

I have not considered a Grizz....not saying I won't be I hear they are outdated and tippy. Are you considering any of the quads I mentioned here and why the Grizz out of curiousity?
I didn't even realize that the new 2006 Brute Force 650 now has IRS. It doesn't have EFI though. Wonder if it is like the other Kawasaki's; e.g., no 4WD kicking in until the quad moves a certain distance? Friend of mine sold his BF 750 becuase he didn't like it for that reason, as well as many other reasons. He bought a new 2005 Rubicon as a replacement. I was talking to him just a little while ago as a matter of fact. He said he likes everything about the Rubicon except for the fact that it does have a very stiff ride. In other words, it definitely isn't comparable to an IRS machine. Another friend of mine has a 2004 Prairie 700. He loves it. The other friend the one who bought the Rubicon - has ridden the P700 and he states that it is much smoother/softer than the Rubicon. I test drove a P700 a few months ago, but I didn't care for it. It seemed too toyish to me, also (like something you'd find in the toy section at your local Wally World). My younger brother bought a new 2006 Kodiak 450 about a month ago. He also loves his new machine, and has not had a lick of trouble out of it so far.

I want the same as you: IRS, big bore, and EFI if at all possible. The EFI is not a deal breaker for me though. I've been hearing good things about the new Rincon (2006). I need to at least go check one out, and ride one, before I make any commitments. The KQ "was" just such a nice option up until about two, or three weeks ago. Then, all of these problems started to surface. I may still consider the KQ, but I have been looking at the Grizzly's moreso lately.

The Grizzly has a lot going for it, IMHO. First, it is tried-n-true, and most of the bugs have been worked out of it. Second, it has basically everything I want (except for EFI). Third, it is one of the best looking quads I have ever seen; moreso than any others currently out on the market. Finally, it just seems to have an almost perfect blend of performance and reliability associated with it. I do wish it had EFI though, but again that is not a deal breaker for me. IMHO, the EFI is the ONLY thing the KQ has going for it over the Grizz. Everything else that may or not be arguable is trivial to me.

My brother was looking at the Vinson, Rubicon, and Kodiak when he purchased. He did not want a full-size, big bore machine. He went with the Kodiak for several reasons, which out classed the competition. Those reasons include the facts that the Kodiak has IRS, front locking differential, and is cheaper. You cannot deny the fact that Yamaha has it going on when compared to other manufacturers. If I had to choose between those three, I would almost certainly go with the Kodiak, too. In addition, I asked the friend, who has the new Rubicon, what he thinks about the whole subject; the subject of what I should probably get. He basically said that if he didn't have a new Rubicon, and he wasn't considering a Rubicon, that the very first quad on his list of potential choices would be the Grizzly.

I just don't know right now. I want to check out that new Rincon. I really like the Grizz. I really did like the KQ, but not so much anymore. Of course, I could be convinced otherwise in the coming months. I want a big bore, so that sort of narrows things down a bit. I won't consider a Polaris. I would consider the Bomb 800 if it wasn't so damn expensive. That basically only leaves Arctic Cat, and why would I want one of them when I can have a Grizzly instead? At this point in time it will be VERY difficult to sway my thinking away from the Grizzly and toward something else. I really wish the KQ wasn't having all of these recent troubles. You should seriously give the Grizzly a look if you have not done so already.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Range Rover

To answer your question about the BF 650i... yes, it still has that lag time from pushing the 4X4 button and it actually kicking in. That is the reason I did not buy the P650 when it came out. I want it to kick in instantly.

A friend of mine has the Griz 660 and he loves it. I had one Yamaha and it did not last long. I was very unimpressed with it's performance. It was a Big Bear 350. This was my experience. Most everyone who has owned Yamahas love them.

I feel like you do about the KQ. My heart was set on one but I am a bit scared about the issues. I would not have a problem with the issues if Suzuki would step up to the plate when they come out rather than try and hide from the issue until they can't hide any longer. If they were more forthright about it all and I knew they would stand behind their product I would not have a problem buying one.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Range Rover

I wouldnt give up on the king quad just yet. I still think it is by far the best performing machine for the money. Keep in mind, the only problem I would worry about is the smoking thing and no one that has switched to aftermarket filter has had a problem. For that matter very few % wise have had problems with the stock filter. I have yet to hear of anyone not getting taken care of if theirs is smoking. They will take care of it, Im sure they dont want to rush another fix that does not work IE new ecm for the reverse issue.
As far as other problems every machine has them. There are alot of king owners who would still buy another one, Im one of them. Just make sure your not giving up what you want in a machine if you go away from a king.

Old 11-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

I am sooooo glad I stumbled on to this site last year. Thanks to it I bought a griz instead of the KQ I wanted so badly. At that time the "transmission issue" was just starting to rear its ugly head....and I did'nt want to get caught up in that mess. It just seems to be one problem after another with them....and my griz just keeps running without any issues yet at all. I do agree that they take awhile to warm up however before you can take the choke off...but I look at that as a good thing because it keeps me from taking off and pulling rpm before the engine is warmed up and oiled up properly. If I had fuel injection I would probably be prone to driving off too early. I've noticed in the papers and on ebay that the griz really holds its value well too. Its a smooth ride and the brakes are awesome. The opinion that is is "tippy" is overstated...its very predictable and switching to aftermarket rims that widen the stance seems to eliminate that concern. Lots of guys are switching those out anyhow. Its not an issue for me....my only issue is making sure it keeps running. I can't plow customers snow with a machine thats in the shop......