Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really wasn't smoking to badly but if it continues a new rod bearing wouldn't hurt. so far it's coming along well though, here are some pictures of it

started with this, got it for $65 thursday night and left friday for vermont so we had alll night to get it running and driving
Name:  quad4.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  51.3 KB
Name:  quad2.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  81.7 KB

and this is the start of sand blasting primer and paint

Name:  REST11.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  78.2 KB
Name:  REST2.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  77.5 KB
Name:  REST1.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  85.0 KB
Name:  REST10.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  71.7 KB
Name:  REST9.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  52.1 KB
Name:  REST8.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  65.5 KB
Name:  REST6.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  60.6 KB
Name:  REST5.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  39.9 KB

In the end i ended up getting the quad for nothing and so far have $30 into bolts and paint for it. new bearing for the axle will be here today then just have to order a few more things. I don't think the previous owner even had this thing in the dirt

Old 06-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Yeah, I've heard yamabond is good. That Dansmc guy really recommends that stuff. Says he hates RTV coz it ***** up and plugs oil holes.... But... I use it anyway coz its here.... My problem was "knowing" to put the RTV on the bolts. I was leaking out the bolts, apparently.
This is sure going back in time for you randy. Im having the same issue. After i rtv'd the valve cover and it leaked i figured well i prob didn't do a good job the first time so i took it off redid the whole thing looked perfected, and it leaked agian. At this point im going nuts than i really looked at it while it was running and its comming from the bolt holes how anoying is that...And oil is also leaking out where the decomp rod goes in guess ill just pick up a new seal for that. I should just put o rings around all the head bolts and call it done....

Old 06-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Steve230
This is sure going back in time for you randy. Im having the same issue. After i rtv'd the valve cover and it leaked i figured well i prob didn't do a good job the first time so i took it off redid the whole thing looked perfected, and it leaked agian. At this point im going nuts than i really looked at it while it was running and its comming from the bolt holes how anoying is that...And oil is also leaking out where the decomp rod goes in guess ill just pick up a new seal for that. I should just put o rings around all the head bolts and call it done....
Yeah that brings back fond memories lol

At least you know your oil pump is good :P I guess orings would work... rtv works too though. That's what the book says to do. Something about orings makes me think "i dont know...". Maybe flat rubber washers is better, but even then I'm still thinking. If it was just a cover, it wouldn't matter, but this is the cam bearing we're talking about! How about copper washers?

Old 06-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Range Rover

Yeah that brings back fond memories lol

At least you know your oil pump is good :P I guess orings would work... rtv works too though. That's what the book says to do. Something about orings makes me think "i dont know...". Maybe flat rubber washers is better, but even then I'm still thinking. If it was just a cover, it wouldn't matter, but this is the cam bearing we're talking about! How about copper washers?
I used rtv got it all sealed up no more leaks after my test run i hopped off with this big old smile on my face and saw my apoxied mag cover was no longer apoxied. So as things are getting thrown in my garage i went to autozone picked up some more apoxy its holding good so far i can only hope it holds out tomarrow. Im supposed to be at lost trails l terian park at nine tomarrow i was like in a panic. Ill pic up a new cover next week sometime. I suppose duct tape wont fix this problem, how about bubble gum and a rubberband?

Old 06-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Just let it leak and keep filling it up. That's what everyone around here does.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

never will forget the first cover on mine. it had been repaired with jb and didnt leak too bad. i was riding at little sahara with a regular roller chain that had seen better days. it was my first trip up there and that sand finished the chain off. on the way back to camp, i did 1 donut and WAM! the chain came off and not-so-politely jammed the case guard about 3" into the cover. so much for that. lol

Old 06-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Range Rover

Oh sweet sweet blissful death im so friggin tired. Lost Trails Terrian Park for any off road vehicle is more like a utility quad place. 95% of all the trails we were on, were nothing but huge rocks and giant mudpits. It was fun, but i was in 2nd the whole time crawling over rocks. Mag cover held out good (cheers for permatex metal filler apoxy). Chain stretched a fair amount had to tighten it after lunch. All in all it was a great day but im gonna go lay in bed and crash for the night.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Steve230
Oh sweet sweet blissful death im so friggin tired. Lost Trails Terrian Park for any off road vehicle is more like a utility quad place. 95% of all the trails we were on, were nothing but huge rocks and giant mudpits. It was fun, but i was in 2nd the whole time crawling over rocks. Mag cover held out good (cheers for permatex metal filler apoxy). Chain stretched a fair amount had to tighten it after lunch. All in all it was a great day but im gonna go lay in bed and crash for the night.
Sure you was on the trail? lol

Old 06-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Twin_Stacks
never will forget the first cover on mine. it had been repaired with jb and didnt leak too bad. i was riding at little sahara with a regular roller chain that had seen better days. it was my first trip up there and that sand finished the chain off. on the way back to camp, i did 1 donut and WAM! the chain came off and not-so-politely jammed the case guard about 3" into the cover. so much for that. lol
I could never keep the chain on reliably no matter what I did until I got the chain guide. I tried the little bouncy chain tensioner thingy and it worked great until I hit the rocky trails in the mtns

Old 06-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Range Rover

Sure you was on the trail? lol
Yeah and those were the easy trails, there all marked out. I mean i had fun, but it was way to much abuse for a sport quad.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.