Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stories like that get me charged up to get mine running. Can't stand how. Long it's been in pieces!

Old 02-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

I'm getting a little antsy with no outlet for my tinkering. I'm starting to think about shelling out for a 28mm flatside and some 250r shocks. The buying and adding to the list just never stops. They are the most fun little thing in the world.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Twin_Stacks
I'm getting a little antsy with no outlet for my tinkering. I'm starting to think about shelling out for a 28mm flatside and some 250r shocks. The buying and adding to the list just never stops. They are the most fun little thing in the world.
I wouldn't get the carb. Not for a 230. Maybe a 260. Maybe. I have the 250s and the 28mm and I've been tempted 100 times to go back to the stock carb. The only thing that stops me is I'm in the process of making it a 260 so I might need the extra airflow. That and I have months of time into getting the goofy thing tuned right.

I'm not saying you can't make it work on the 230... I'm just saying why would you? Its a lot of work and money for slim to no improvement.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Really? I thought from all the reading that others went to the flatside for a large improvement. I don't know a lot of carbs. I can rebuild them and all but as far as tuning and choosing, I'm out of the loop. I consider you the go to about this stuff so I'll just not get that then. It runs so good as it is, it would be a shame to change something.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Really? I thought from all the reading that others went to the flatside for a large improvement. I don't know a lot of carbs. I can rebuild them and all but as far as tuning and choosing, I'm out of the loop. I consider you the go to about this stuff so I'll just not get that then. It runs so good as it is, it would be a shame to change something.
Its tough to say if there is an improvement or not. If there is, its certainly not worth all the work. If I had a nickel for every time I've tinkered on that 28, I could buy this website! And after all that work, its still not quite right. And then the 28 leaves a lot to be desired. For instance it has an aluminum slide... which gets carved up by the idle adjusting screw from all the vibrations. That makes it hard and almost impossible to adjust the idle as time goes on. Then, the choke totally sucks. It injects WAY too much gas and floods the engine. I've tried rigging up ways to "half-choke" it, but no avail. I've stopped using the choke and just squirt starting fluid in the pilot adjusting screw hole. The TM28 is a bad design or its designed for something much bigger than these engines.

DG used to offer a 27mm, which was just a bored out stock carb. I'm sure they knew something back then that took me a while to figure out lol

This is from the mikuni VM manual:

Name:  carbsize.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  145.9 KB

Looks like 26-30mm will work on a 30hp engine. We'd be doing well to make 25hp, in which case 26 or 27 is just about right.

The honda 250ex (its 229cc) has a 22mm carb... and it actually does pretty well for a shaft-drive, pushrod engine.

2008 Honda TRX250EX Sport ATV Model Information - Features, Benefits and Specifications

Old 02-29-2012, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

I just picked up another lt250s engine so lots of parts coming in. Got a works rear shock, needs a rebuild, but shouldnt be too hard. Also, got a 250s carb. I'll be selling my 230 carb shortly if anyones interested, also, im gonna be selling an lt250s head, cam, and cam cover shortly. I also have a lt230s crank with a new vesrah rod on it. PM if anyone is interested in anything and I'll get back to ya. I'm also gonna have two extra stator covers shortly also, I have them, ones polished and one I was gonna sandblast and powder coat in the future. PM if your interested in the polished one or the other one. Thanks guys.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Isn't the 250 and 230 carb the same? Just different jet and needle.

Oh, that reminds me. The LT4WD head and the 250s head is nearly the same thing. A buddy broke a valve guide in the 250s head, so we put the LT4WD head on. There are a few minor differences, but can't remember what they are. If anyone wants, I'll look into it. Both have the bigger intake valve though and there are a lot more LT4WD heads out there than 250s heads

Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Pro Rider

Isn't the head on the 250s much better than the 230? If the lt4wd head is the same, it would have bigger valves and better ports too then? Would that head change the compression any on the 230? I might be interested in that. A cheap substitute to the 250 head sounds great to me. The 250s cam would even work on it. How much of a performance gain would be there?

Last edited by Twin_Stacks; 02-29-2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: added question
Old 02-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Isn't the head on the 250s much better than the 230? If the lt4wd head is the same, it would have bigger valves and better ports too then? Would that head change the compression any on the 230? I might be interested in that. A cheap substitute to the 250 head sounds great to me. The 250s cam would even work on it. How much of a performance gain would be there?
The 250s head has a bigger intake valve and better port geometry. No change in compression.

The LT4WD head has the same bigger valve, but I think the ports are different. The exhaust port is much smaller on the LT. You'd have to port it out to match the 250s header. Btw, you'll still have to find a 250s header. The 230 header won't work on either head. And the compression release is different. The LT is electric start, so they just put a handle on the head for compression release instead of a cable. And for some reason I don't think you can just switch it with the 250s cable setup. I forgot why exactly.

If you can find a 250s head, its worth it to get it. If you can't, the LT head will work with some work.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer

maybe someone can answer a question for me....

last weekend i put new rear bearings in my 86 model. I was puzzled because the swing arm and bearing carrier were different than the pictures in my clymer manual, but the bearings i ordered were still the correct ones. I put it back together with no problems, it just came apart and adjusted differently than what was in the book.

After looking at some part diagrams for the 86 on mrcycles.com i have determined that there were two different swing arms used in an 86S: a model F/G that was what the pictures in the clymer are of, and the model H/J which is what mine appears to be. Can anybody tell me what the difference was or why they changed them, or how to tell if my quad is an "H" or "J"

Thanks

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.