Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody a while back mentioned that you can't replace the balljoints on the lt250s a-arms if you decide to order yourself a pair and make them fit, but really there is no need to replace them, they just need to be regreased. I did one tonight and while do the other tomorrow. I will get some pics up tomorrow. But for anybody wondering, you pull the clip off around the boot, making sure you don't tear the boot, but if you do, an lt230s boot should work off your old balljoints. Take a paper towel and wipe off all the grease, moving the balljoint around to make sure all the grease is off. Then take the boot and clean out the grease. This is a good time to wash the boot with soap and water, the inside and the out. Then, take your grease and fill the ball joint with it. Move the ball joint around as you do it to get it inside the cracks. Then, fill the boot up wit grease. Really fill it so the balljoint has plenty of grease. Then slide the boot back on. A trick to getting the boot on is to move the joint to one side. Slide the boot on and hold it with your finger. Then move the joint back to the other side while holding the part thats already over and the other side will pop back on. Then take the clip and put one side over the rubber seal. Work your way around the clip until the clip is back on. Wipe up any remaining grease that leaked out. Then your all set. Now you should have a balljoint that will last you another 20 years or so.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Ok everyone, stay away from these cases, he relisted them, he mentioned what looks like gasket sealer, but didn't actually say they are cracked:
Crank Case, Engine Case (Set) ~ Suzuki LT 230 S (ATV QuadSport) | eBay

Old 04-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomgodair
Somebody a while back mentioned that you can't replace the balljoints on the lt250s a-arms if you decide to order yourself a pair and make them fit,
I would be careful here.

I picked up one from ebay, and the ball joint was basically flopping around inside the socket. There was at least a millimeter of play. I would not trust that.

With that said, it looked like the joint was the standard Suzuki lower joint that had just been welded into the arm. The nut was even on the back end of it. I suspect some careful grinding would make that joint replaceable.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Im selling my own parts ebay just for the lt230QS

hey out there if u need any type of wiring or other parts for your suzuki i have almost 3 of everything so i will soon be selling i have the same name on ebay as here

Old 04-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Any help would be helpful. I took my quad out for first time piston rod seized. I repla ed the ros piston rings. But now it will not start nothing I have spark Help me please.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I replaced the rod piston and all gaskets

Old 04-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry and the timing appears to be correct

Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

heys guys. where can i find a new carb kit. i have looked everywhere but only find rebuild kits

Old 04-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by j_mauld
I would be careful here.

I picked up one from ebay, and the ball joint was basically flopping around inside the socket. There was at least a millimeter of play. I would not trust that.

With that said, it looked like the joint was the standard Suzuki lower joint that had just been welded into the arm. The nut was even on the back end of it. I suspect some careful grinding would make that joint replaceable.
Yeh, if you had play, I would never have ran those a-arms. My a-arms don't have any play. Yours must have had a broken boot and grease leaked out or dirt got inside the boot or maybe even water. If you do find a good set, I would regrease them for sure.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by spoonbill
heys guys. where can i find a new carb kit. i have looked everywhere but only find rebuild kits

Are you looking for a whole new carb? Thats alot of money. Your better off buying a used one off ebay for $60

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.