Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spoonbill
Hey tom, I was just super frustrated cause this kid kicked my but on some the trails around here. Just passed cause his blaster is stock and so is my sport so no matter what up grades I do he will still be faster just by making upgrades. Just take great pride in the fact that a qs is one of the best quads ever made and should not beat around by another quad that is no where near as good. As far tires I am just gonna go with an all around tread. It has the original dunlop's on there now but the tread is pretty much gone. Since I am just going to restore it now I will just go back with dunlops only I will go with 20" so that it handles better for my wife. After some thought I think that if I give the wife the "e" and then get an "s" for me then can kick that kids but. I fully believe that a manual clutch and the weight was the difference.
ok, i have been away for a while quys. How's everyone been?

Spoonbill, ditch the dunlops. they wear prematurely and get holes in them rather easily on the trails, bout like holeshot tires. the 20in tire idea, great idea, i would go with a Kenda Parker or an Ambush CST. And for added measure shave a few lugs of the rear tire, justrandy suggested that to me and it makes a difference.

Now if you really want to kick some butt on the trail and still look stock, make it a sleeper QS like mine was. A few mods in the engine that anyone can do are effecive and not to expensive. Throw in a cam from an 89 lt250s, K&N airfilter, and upgrade the clutch. All of this costs around $250- $300. But the price depends on the clutch. And run a higher octane of fuel. I bought a Barnnett racing clutch for my old girl, and changed the sprockets to a 13/38 or 39 combo. After a restore and rebuild i was side by side with a 500 Polaris Predator. And yes no doubt that the QS is the best reliable quad out there. I still build them today. I got one out there now that tops out at about 71.5 MPH. I can't believe how popular they are getting these days.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey trailrider, thanks for the info. I think the biggest problem I face is that my sport is an "e" model, it has electric start and an auto-shift granny so there is no manual clutch. A manual clutch makes a huge difference. Not only do I want to it just for trails but I want to run hare scrambles and at first I thought I could run the scrambles with an "e" sport but after getting my butt kicked I don't think will be able to do it with an "e" and have a chance at winning. I think I will need an "s" for that. I may be wrong and would love to hear everyone's comments about it. It might make my decision easier.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

Has anyone ever thought about taking a 230 engine and putting it into a racer 250 or 500 chassis and see how it worked? Would still have the 4 stroke but would have a chassis that has all kinds of aftermarket parts and you could leave the length and width stock and it would the numbers that we all want. Let me know what you all think.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

Got a question. It has to do about my last post about a sport engine in a racer chassis. The rules in the gncc are for factory built quads meaning the make of the engine and chassis have to be from the same maker. Does anyone know if I were to put a sport engine in a racer chassis would this pass as a legal machine?

Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

Trailrider, I just checked out the pics of your sport, you did a great job. It is awesome! Hope mine can look that good some day. How did you get the decals? Is there a company that will make decals of whatever you want?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spoonbill
Trailrider, I just checked out the pics of your sport, you did a great job. It is awesome! Hope mine can look that good some day. How did you get the decals? Is there a company that will make decals of whatever you want?
there is a company on eBay that made them for me. if i can remember, i'll post the link later on tonight and put it in the Vault. Been a while since i updated the Vault, surgeries, new business startin up, and the little man is back in school.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

how do I tell if my suspension is bad? I don't know if its because I havent ridden for a long time or if its because the 230s doesnt have much travel, or if the shocks are shot, but the ride seems a little rough...

Also, how bad is that I have too much oil in my 230?? When on level ground, the oil level is just under the top of the viewing glass... should I drain some?

Other than that though, the machine is up and running good!

Keep em' alive!

Alex

Old 09-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

Hey trailrider, I was just looking around in the vault for the first time and I can't find where you put the info for your decals. I also just found that you are one of the people that put the vault together. You and atvman29, according to the vault info. If this is true then let me say thank you for putting something like that together. It is really cool to see that there are a lot of other people out there just like me that truly love a quadsport. I feel that it is the best all around quad that has ever been made.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

Need some help here guys. We now come to the segment of the program where how stupid I really any of you that have read my posts know that I have a quadsport 230e. Here is my problem. I was just going through some stuff in the garage and found the original tag that was on my key when I bought mine from the dealership in 87, on the tag is written 87 quadsport lt230eh. What is the "h" for? I can't find anything that has to do with an "eh". Does anyone out there have a clue?

Old 09-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

I got another? Will the plastic and seat from a quadracer 250 or 500 or quadsport 250 fit on a 230? I really like the "t" shaped seats and think it would look really cool on a 230.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.