Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have a 1985 that has no linkage n the guy I bought it from cut a shifter in half n shorten it n bolted it directly to the shifter shaft.He liked the way it worked I think it was harder to shift n my motorcross boots didn't fit under it.J_mould i have this quad apart rite now rebuildn it.I'll dig threw the parts n send you a pic via Email beings I can't figure out how to post them here.:0

Old 04-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j_mauld
Show us what you've done. Both the tensioner and the widening kit.
Having problems uploading photos. If I can't get it today I post on another site and apply the link here.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Randy, I follow you and I agree with you. In your picture the roll center is much closer to the center of gravity, so the quad is going to lean less in a turn. There are some negatives to that setup. You have to lean off the bike more in a turn to keep it from tipping over (except yours looks to be wider than mine) and you'll dive more when braking. So it's a trade off in how you expect to ride. I know mine is too low for big jumps and probably not wide enough for an MX setup. I suspect that I will eventually have the ride height set somewhere between your picture and my picture.

What shock are using in that picture? I plan on making my upper mount adjustable like you have done. It will just be resting on top of the frame.
Mine is the product of evolution. What you see, works. I tried the flat arm setup and many in between. This frame setup will beat anything on a long sweeping curve.

Never noticed or been concerned about diving when I hit the brakes. I suspect that would happen no matter what setup I had. Actually, scratch that. I think my setup would not want to dive because the front wheels would have to separate. This also helps land jumps because the friction resisting wheel separation aids the shocks. When I land, the tires would have to scoot across the ground sideways to compress the springs.

The width varies anywhere from 46 to 49 inches I think. I think stock is 38 and most quads are in the low 40s somewhere. Actually, I think I'm a hair too wide. I don't need that much stability and would rather fit in more trails.

The shocks are 250S stock shocks.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jel08270
Randy if he goes with a taller shock,it should have a longer travel.Do you think the wheels could take out his new front fenders if he lands to hard on front wheels?It happens to me alot on a my quad when jumping hills at the pit if one of my back wheels hit wrong on a jump im comn down crossed up on front end HARD!!. Scares da crap out of me but I still try it again.
I took a big hunk of my plastic out this way. My swingarm has close to infinite travel. It will never bottom the shock. Something else would get in the way before the shock bottoms... like my plastic.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I do need to go through this exercise. I really want to use the 450/400 style shocks. There are so many of those available and they interchange between the brands easily. There's also a ton of aftermarket support for them, custom spring rates, shops that revalve them, short bodies, etc. . The problem is, those things are 17" long and I don't think there's room to get them on there.
I have something like 8 inches of travel at the wheel. How much travel do you need?

Here is the 250S shocks compared to the 230S shocks. They're pretty dang good.... for stocks shocks.

Name:  DCP_2805.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  122.9 KB

I'm also impressed with lakota shocks.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jel08270
Now alot of people did away with the linkage on the 230s quadsports n run just the shifter.I think it works good but it fells alittle funny if you wear motocross boots in my opinion.
Wears holes in your shoes! I can tell you that much LOL

Also its hard to find neutral. End up just having to reach down with my hand to hit neutral.

Hard to beat it for speed shifting though.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're swaying me to raise the front end. Just not completely there yet... I'm a little hard headed so I will most likely have to do it both ways, to see what I prefer. It's easy enough to adjust the height so it's not too big of a deal.

If you want to make yours less wide, you could try using higher offset wheels. Although, I'm not sure if you will be able to find any that fit our hubs.

Are you running the 250r axle?

Old 04-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have big balloney 23s on the front and all that a-arm travel. I've never hit the front fender.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You're swaying me to raise the front end. Just not completely there yet... I'm a little hard headed so I will most likely have to do it both ways, to see what I prefer. It's easy enough to adjust the height so it's not too big of a deal.

If you want to make yours less wide, you could try using higher offset wheels. Although, I'm not sure if you will be able to find any that fit our hubs.
Well yeah, you should set it up how you want to ride it. I think you should make lots of mount holes like I did, so you can move the shock around and see what you like best.

I prefer to not have any preload on the spring and just use geometry to give me enough spring.

I'm totally against offset rims on the front. It will cause bumpsteer and put lots of stress on tierod bearings. But you could just flip the rims and drill a new hole for the valve stem. I've done that before. That's how I know I hate bumpsteer.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

This is where I ride:

Apparently, this particular rider has a vagina, but you can at least see the riding conditions my quad was made for. The idea is to go as fast as you can and not fly off the mountain.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.