Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

I was forced to buy a cam so i went with hot cams, i got a deal off some guy on ebay. 230$ for a wiseco high comp, top end gasket set and hot cams stg 1. coulnt beat it

Old 11-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mjlar94

sorry i still am very fond of my two stroke dt and this stuff is all new.

piston-to-valve clearance (the wiseco high comp & hot cams combination)

How do I know its safe to put back together?

how do i set the cam timing properly?</end quote></div>

Yeah, 2-strokes are a lot easier in most respects, until its time to port it... Then you can get really screwed up fast.

If hotcams is basically a stock cam with more lift then you wont have any trouble with the piston n valve hitting. As a matter of fact, concerning lift you wont have any trouble with anything except the springs, which will bind somewhere between .410 and .420 according to Lori (anything over .370 she recommends a spring kit). This post is full of people who run a higher lift cam than you are planning to and they also have wiseco pistons and have no trouble.

I forgot exactly how it looks inside, my manuals haven't arrived yet either, but from memory, I think you just line the lines on the cam sprocket parallel with the head. Maybe someone else should answer this one. I know there are either lines or dots to line up. I would think the book should tell.... I did it w/o any books, but I also paid attention how it was when I took it apart, so.... [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If I had it to do again, I would leave the base gasket out. Just use a tiny little bit of RTV between the jug and case. It will add a little compression. I would also deck the piston and possibly mill the head too. Those are things I can do with a flat surface, a caliper, and several good sheets of sand paper, lol. Done it before with great results.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Range Rover

you got the last part right- doing it slow with too much beer.. well i had rotated the crank so what i mean to ask is how do i line that up with the cam without draining the oil?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

wow, you guys that know what you are talking about, give me a headache![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
If it weren't for hops and barley, I'd have probably been done by now![img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]
But keep it coming, some of it has got to rub off on my dumbazz eventually!

All I know is the top of my piston (weisco 69-70mm? something like that) does not look the same as when I dropped it off at the machinist with the bore kit. Decked??
Tell you what there ain't much clearance from piston to valves, but they aren't touching.......

Can't see it now cause the motor is almost ready to kick!! Yeah!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] couple more 30 packs and I'll git er done!

I am more of a hook it up, plug it in, should go kinda guy... But ya all have me quadruple thinking every move!!

Keep em coming, lovin every minute of it!

Old 11-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

so how the hell do you find tdc and how the hell do you make beer signs?!

Old 11-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Lil "o" mark on top of counter balance (round thing on opposite side of clutch, I think that is what is called) it lines up with a v shaped piece on case, so don't think is possible to do without draining oil.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Beer signs and all the other stupid thangs we do, look up,while replying, it says select emotion[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/wine.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/brokenheart.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/camera.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/present.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/light.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/lips.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/musicnote.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/sun.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Range Rover

What about the left side? is there a way i can tell by opening the mag side? Does that require draining oil?

Old 11-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

left side, side with shifter and reverse lever, is the side that has to come off to check timing, oil is comin out for sure. Heck, oil is cheap and needs to be changed regularly any how![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

How bout posting some pix of this beast? Tired of lookin at the same ones all the time, myself included! lol

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.