Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quadsport230

guys i think i might sell my 230 [img][/img]. i saw a 2001 raptor 660 for sale for $2000 and i just dont have the money without selling the QS. maybe i can borrow a couple hundred from the 'rents.</end quote></div>

Dude! Don't do it!! Think about it.......... Its paid for, It is one hell of a bang for the buck ride!!! You don't have your parents holdin it over your head!!! No reverse on a 660, weighs a ton, sits high up???????? Really though, can't blame you..Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. BUT don't do it!!!! But if you do, make sure the 230S goes to someone worthy!

Old 12-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

PG, I dont know, lol, I actually like the little hand held shields. [img][/img] The ones you wear on your head are hard to get to flop down in the right spot and it gives your neck a real workout trying. [img][/img] Also, they get in the way when trying to weld in close spaces. I have a full head shield, but havent touched it in yrs. But some guys like them apparently. I dont know much about the autodarkening ones. If you can see thru it ok before welding and then it gets dark fast enough not to blind you I guess that would be cool. But I've never used one. I usually use shade 9 or 10 to protect my eyes. I can see good enough thru them until they get dirty. The polycarbonate lens covers are nice and cheaper to replace than the lens itself.

Sounds like you're doing ok with your initial welding! Now see if you can weld 2 pieces together and see what it takes to break the weld... just so you know how strong it is.

Then you have to fool around welding the real thin stuff. That's hard! You'll usually burn thru and it takes practice. If you burn a hole in a sheet of metal, 1st let the red go away and then weld around the hole real fast just to build up the thickness on the metal. Then let cool for a second or 2 and go around again. Once you get the metal built up thick enough you can give it full force to close the hole up.

Wetting. Wetting is what happens when a ball of liquid metal finally sinks down and joins to another piece of metal. If it doesn't "wet" it will just ball up and fall on the floor. If that happens, its not getting hot enough. You have to really stay on it with the heat until it wets.

Keep practicing and before you know it your quad will be 4 inches longer and 10 inches wider! [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Old 12-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

PG, I dont know, lol, I actually like the little hand held shields. [img][/img] The ones you wear on your head are hard to get to flop down in the right spot and it gives your neck a real workout trying. [img][/img] Also, they get in the way when trying to weld in close spaces. I have a full head shield, but havent touched it in yrs. But some guys like them apparently. I dont know much about the autodarkening ones. If you can see thru it ok before welding and then it gets dark fast enough not to blind you I guess that would be cool. But I've never used one. I usually use shade 9 or 10 to protect my eyes. I can see good enough thru them until they get dirty. The polycarbonate lens covers are nice and cheaper to replace than the lens itself.

Sounds like you're doing ok with your initial welding! Now see if you can weld 2 pieces together and see what it takes to break the weld... just so you know how strong it is.

Then you have to fool around welding the real thin stuff. That's hard! You'll usually burn thru and it takes practice. If you burn a hole in a sheet of metal, 1st let the red go away and then weld around the hole real fast just to build up the thickness on the metal. Then let cool for a second or 2 and go around again. Once you get the metal built up thick enough you can give it full force to close the hole up.

Wetting. Wetting is what happens when a ball of liquid metal finally sinks down and joins to another piece of metal. If it doesn't "wet" it will just ball up and fall on the floor. If that happens, its not getting hot enough. You have to really stay on it with the heat until it wets.

Keep practicing and before you know it your quad will be 4 inches longer and 10 inches wider! [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Got two pieces of 1/4in together, at a 90 degree perfect right angle I might add!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Hit it with a sledge hammer and did not break!! That was my only sucesses tonight![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Was feeling so "studly" I decided to weld up the heel guards I bent up a billion months ago... 1/4in round bar melted to ****!!!!! It will be a while, but I got a feeling for this............ Longer swingarm, yes, wider a arms??? probably not!!!

Old 12-26-2007, 03:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Turn the amps down on the round bar. You have to play with those settings.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 85 to 87 Suzuki LT230S help.

Hey i got a lot of love for my 85 quad sport.I defenitly upgraded it.I put a yz 4oo power plant in the frame with a dg pipe and silencecer.Twist throttle on the renthals and willwood brakes.It runs like a raped ape right now and i'm still not done with it.Just thought you might be interested in hearing what and older rider dose to his when he gets board(LOL).Sorry just signed up and don't have any pic's yet.I will put some on here when i'm finished with the yamasuki(LOL)

Old 12-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a fresh YZ465 engine sitting in the garage and I put some serious thought into stuffing it in the QS frame! I bet the YZ400 engine makes it run like a champ. I decided against my plans only because I like the gas mileage of the 4-stroke engine otherwise it would be a screamer with the old 2-stroke engine in it.
Oh and congrats poolgod for the excellent christmas present and the good progress on learing to weld with it!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ya that 465 would make it a little out of controll.(LOL).My 400 is almost to much.The only bad thing is i keep going threw clutches.Any advice on a after market clutch that might work for the 400?And also where i might get it?

Old 12-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I'm so pissed I really shouldnt be posting right now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] But I have to blow some steam somewhere...

I went riding in the mountains today, but before I got there I took it out for a test ride. It was smokin like a tar wagon. Wtf! A brand new engine! Oh well, might as well take it anyway, so I was putting the plastic back on when I noticed the airbox was full of water!?! Must have got water in it when I rinsed it off with the hose, because I keep it in the garage all the time. So, I removed the tubes and drained the water and dried the filter and loaded it up. Got to the trails and was riding n having fun (btw, it stopped smokin after the water got out) and the chain started popping off every 5 minutes. I have the $40 chain tensioner and new swingarm bearings, but the bearings are already bad and the axle is moving around again! So, got it back home and threw it up and jacks and here is a list of stuff that went wrong after only 3 hrs at the trails:

1) right side swingarm bearing is gone.
2) right side back hub is loose after I used 1/2 tube of red locktite and a 450ft-lb impact to put the nut on.
3) right side tie rod end has come almost all the way out of the spindle. So, my right front tire is just flopping around.
4) lost a bolt that holds the plastic to the frame... again! That makes about 6 so far.
5) the chain tensioner is loose and flopping around squeaking, POS aluminum!!!!
6) the slide in my NEW CARB stuck closed and I couldn't open it until I took the carb apart and used a dremel to file the hole out of the slide from the idle speed adjuster screw. POS aluminum!!!!
7) I'm sure there's more, just too pissed n tired to go look.

One day I was riding and it started sounding like my rod was knocking.... It was every bolt that holds the engine in came loose!!! The engine was flopping around like a fish outta water.

I finally got the muffler to stay on at least... Usually it would fall off at some point in a riding day. Thought I was going to have to weld that!

I tell ya what... If I didnt already have over $1000 in this su-puki I'd kicked it off the side of the mountain and got a ride back to the truck with a buddy. [img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

Btw, my buddy who has the 250s didnt have a lick of trouble and he has NO SWINGARM BEARINGS!!! Its like he has independant suspension in the back. He also has no chain tensioner either. But somehow his chain stays on. He also has zero compression. But it runs strong!!! I dont know how... I think its been blessed by a preist of something.... Mines been cursed by the devil no less.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Oh yeah, and it leaks oil from the head bolts, the head gasket, the compression release lever, and somewhere on the bottom. There is just no winning with this quad, no matter how much money I pour into it. I'm gonna start referring to it as my harley,,, coz it harley ever runs w/o having to stop every 10 feet to work on some part of it.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Bout all I can say is, bummer Randy! acktuall could say more, but a lil cloudi at the moment! But not felling any pain, thuogh..

Welcome new pwople, to just ignore me for a fe w days.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.