Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:15 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Originally posted by: quadsport230
i have some questions, i have a 87-chain tensioners have stripped out on me about 3 times anybody else have this problem- it seems like my swingarm bearings need replacing every 6 months i grease them once every other week what am i doing wrong?i dont ride that much just for a couple hours every weekend

Stripped chain tensors? Are you attempting to tighten the chain with the back tires on the ground? I ask this only because I assume you do loosen the axle carrier bolts first. And do you clean the dirt off the tensors first? The only way to damage these is to put alot of preasure on them.

Also the chain should have the play in it with the quad loaded. I use a DID O-ring that was recomended to me by a bike dealer. Im on the 4th season now with the same chain. Use a good O-ring lube and cook your O-ring chain once or twice a year in old motor oil and it will last a very, very long time. Oh yes, I said cook.

I picked this tip up several years ago from a guy who raced in Poker Runs in his off time. After EVERY ride, once the machine was cleaned up, he would take the chain off the machine and heat it up in old motor oil ( Over low heat as not to start a fire) for several hours. Then take it out to cool quickly.
Now dont do this in the house, it gives off some noxious fumes. The idea is to expand the rubber O-rings to let in a small amount of oil, and then let it cool to keep it there.
I soak mine all winter without the heat. Of course, down here, only December and January are considerd winter. I also replace all the chain sliders/roller. That keeps the wear down also. You pay a good bit for a premium chain but, with good maintenance, it can last you a long time.
It sounds like, to me anyway, that your chain and swingarm bearing problems are one and the same. The swingarm design of the 230 is the weakest link in the chain (pun intended) and requires the most attention of the owner/operator/mechanic.

Ball bearings dont have much surface area. It seems that there would not be enough support for the swing arm. Unless there double roller and you use mutiple units on each side. I'd be curious to know how well/long it works.

Hope this helps.

BigMc

Old 01-02-2007, 10:44 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Swartzy

Did you replace the clutch springs at the same time? Sounds like you might need stiffer ones. They will hold more tention on the clutch. Of course, like you said, the grooves are not helping things much either thats for shure. Ebay is a wonderfull thing.

Carb issue.
Ive had a similar problem with mine in the past. Turned out to be a stuck float valve. But it could be as simple as engine vibration changing the setting. The tension springs can weaken over time and cause problems.
And you need to be careful of the seal on the clamp on filter. If air is getting around the filter, going down the trail, you could be having some speratic problems that wont necessarily show on the plug.

With all the mods on yours, you might consider an aftermarket carb. I really like albungs idea. But I may be biased[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
You will notice a real power improvement with the flatslide.

Good luck......................keepemalive
BigMc

Old 01-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i abuse my chain tensioners alot lol, i rarely clean them and only lift the wheels if a jack is accessible.

alright heres somemore questions

-im gonna rebuild my top end soon
new piston ,rings, valves, and what ever else is needed. do i need special tools to do this, can i knock it out in a weekend. i have never rebuilt a motor but have torn them apart and put them back together also i am mechanically inclined

--would i see signficant power from a bigger bore along with jetting and all the other stuff to go with the bore, if so what bore size do you recommend.

what is a good tire for this quad
-it needs to be 6 ply due to rocks
-it needs to make it through moderate mud
-oh yeah and i need a 22inch for ground clearnce
-no more than $70 per tire unless you swear by it

i have looke at hole shot XCTs and trac stars

Old 01-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Everybody i need a very quick answer. can i run the tire size 20x11x9 on the rear? if so i can get a great price. the original size here in germany are freaking expensive..

Thanks Brian

Old 01-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, and Yes. Go Rocky Mountain they sell over the internet and think they ship internationally. Click HERE.

Good luck.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Trailblazer

Hi UGLY88 thanks for the quick answer. what will be the diffrence between the 22 and 20 size?

Laterz Brian

Old 01-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

the difference is 2 inchees of ground clearance

Old 01-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

OK looks like everybody has to be a smart a$$

lol just kidding OK with a stupid question like i asked i deserve a answer like that.
what i really wanted to ask is will it make a difference in how the bike rides.

Laterz Brian

Old 01-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not think so. I like the 20's over the 22's but that just maybe because the 20's I have on mine are a better quality tire than the 22's that came on the bike when I bought it?

Old 01-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

ugly 88 how did you make out with finding a new shifter

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.