Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

well if the valves dont seal properly then oil leaks throught and gets burnt up.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: motox8589
i was wondering, i have a 85 quadsport, totally stock, all matchin numbers i believe. i needed to know of the best mods performance wise i can do. also does any1 know the stock tire size. and can any1 tell me were to get parts for this ATV?

Read this entire thread as most if not all your questions have been answered in this one thread and probably some you have not thought of yet.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer

my suzuki is having problems. first off the clutch is starting to slip and i just replaced them with the rebuild. i did notice when it was apart the clutch basket had a little groove in the inner and outer pieces, i dont think that can be too good. it only slips at high rpms, i can do power wheelies fine but when i hit high rpms in 5th it slips, and its not continuous. sometimes it slips and others it grabs fine. is this the clutch or could the gear be going out? second, im having a carberator problem, which only happens sometimes as well. after warming it up and making a lap around the field when i slow down it stays at high rpms so i turn the idle screw down. that works for a little while then it acts like it fixes itself and when i stop the next time i have to rev it to keep it running. when its high it acts like im coasting down a hill and downshifting eventho i have the clutch in or it is in neutral. any ideas?

Old 12-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

i forgot to say when i took the spark plug out it was a dark brown color. my dad said thats about where it should be, so i dont think it would be improper jetting with the air filter/pipe combo.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:19 AM
Range Rover

my carb has same issues idle fine then go up or down or just stall gettin tired of cleanin it im going for a flatslide as im running a 77mm piston and a nice cam

Old 12-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

just bought a 1985 lt230s-f quadsport. smokes like a train. ( well that is being nice) i have been reading thru out the form and was wondering a few things like the flat side carb, if you get the Name: Mikuni Flat Slide Carburetor - 28mm Bore Manufacturer: Mikuni Spigot Mount: 35mm does it come with the right jets for a stock motor? is it to big for stock? I also was wondering about the starter kit that was mentioned in a thred on Tue June 13, 2006 1:53 AM, that i have not been able to find the right site for. The smoking i will assume is the rings unless someone knows something i dont ( i have never worked on bikes just cars and 2 stroke marine ) that might have insight on something else. i ordered the shop manual from bikebandit and should be here in a few days. thanks for the help. i am just wondering if anyone else can see this post or just me?

Old 12-31-2006, 09:02 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I WOULD LIKE TO START OUT BY SAYING HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL THE 230 GUYS AND GALS OUT THERE. Thanks to folks like you the Suzuki 230 has made it another year. Mine is 20 years old. If it were a car, it would be considered a classic. Fitting, is it not? Here is to another year. Lets do this thing shall we!!

Wallyboy!!!!!
Hey man. Good to hear from ya man. I must express my appologies for not getting back to you sooner. This time of year is very difficult for me and my heart just has not been in it. But enough of that.

Can I still help you on an issue with your 230? The timing on the Q.S is straight forward. I think it has been covered more than once in this series of threads. But I would be proud to help you ( if I can).

josmuck. Germany huh. They have really good beer. There cars are over-rated, but no one perfect. j.k.
Great to meet someone willing to see a 230 re-birth through. Bushings and bearings, I have not had to change my fronts, yet. But I do know that thay cost a mint unless you can find them for sale on ebay as a set. They are sold as a rebuild kit per side. That is to say you will pay some where in the neighborhood of $60.00 (American that is, I dont know the convertion) for the left upper, ditto for the left lower etc. etc. At leat they do in 87. I think they changed the set up in later years and that makes it much cheaper to rebuild the a-arms.
While your there, check for play in the steering stem. There is a bushing in the lower joint that can wear.
And by all means...............check the swingarm bearings for ANY amount of play. ( Place C.C.O.S thread here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Oh, while im on the subject, for all of us who have been keeping up this thread, I originaly wanted to call it Chain Came Off Disease. But that just didnt look good in abbreviation[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].........................Any way.

Hay, Im getting long-winded and I cant stand long-winded. Please post any and all ?'s here. Someone will get back to you. Of that I am shure. That go's for all.

Thanks again for another good year. And as always.....................................keepema live.

Cheers.

BigMc.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider

i have some questions, i have a 87
-chain tensioners have stripped out on me about 3 times anybody else have this problem
- it seems like my swingarm bearings need replacing every 6 months i grease them once every other week what am i doing wrong?

i dont ride that much just for a couple hours every weekend

Old 01-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Range Rover

swingarm design on these bikes suck to say least !!! i used different bearings that i got from bearing shop, not needle but ball,and seems to work well for now but im going to have a shop change part where bearings go,because i had a new one made at work that is alot thicker, and just had machinest machine to fit stock bearings and dust caps!!!! donrt remember #on replacment bearings but been in there 6 months and all good so far

Old 01-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

ill try ball bearings next time, you just have two in there? or do you double them up because needles bearings are alot wider. also i seam to wear through chains like nobody's buisness and i think its because i make it to tight, the book says 1.5 niches of travel form the middle of the bottom, now is that measurement with or without weight on the bike. it could also be my chain, i get non o ring adjustible chain form and industrial supply place

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.