Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Clean_salvaged_BRI
The thing I found the biggest pain is the spring you have to get back in the damn hole when putting it back together. </end quote></div>

I haven't gotten that far yet, lol. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Getting it apart was easy though.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The crank was about the easiest I ever did though. I hope you are putting in knew crank bearings, And be aware the two sides on the 230 are different sizes so order a set. Bikerchicksltd is the best e-bay store for price and shipping time for these.</end quote></div>

I noticed the crank bearing were different sizes. I'm going to order from somebody, just haven't done it yet. Usually, the cheapest bearing seller I've found is racergirlsrock. I'll check out your guy though n see if its cheaper. I don't really care about shipping time right now. Everything moves so slow that parts arrive and I just chuck them on the shelf. I ordered a complete gasket n oring set from ebay a few days ago and before I knew what happened it was sitting on my porch! That's fast (or at least it seems that way to me). The kit didn't contain the seals for the shifter rods n stuff like that. So, I have a bit of shopping around to do. Need a bunch of oil seals. Need a bunch of c-clips for the tranny too. They say once you take them off not to use them again, so....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I tried do get some pics up again and it says all my pictures are to big. How do I get a smaller pic ( i mean file size)</end quote></div>

You need to get a photobucket account. Its free and you can store all your pics online and post them whenever you want from anywhere in the world. Like this:

Old 07-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Clean_salvaged_BRI

I have a crank that i might send to vince and then post to e-bay. I found a complete running 230 that I am scooping up in a few days. I am still finishing this moto 4 for a costumer. This 230 has a few small oil leeks from the chain side case cover (common oops). I did some work on this last sept so I am familiar with whats new and stuff. I will be parting this one out though. I am going to sell the maijer plastic from mine and keep his plastic. this winter I cracked one of the rear sides of mine and cut it out smooth and then made the other side match. I also removed the front mounts by rounding the corner off. It looks decent, I am just not liking the white look.</end quote></div>

The thing that is worrying me with my crank is Vince said that when you jump and land on something stiff (like concrete or hardpack) the shockwave travels up the driveline and if the piston is on the powerstroke, the 2 waves meet in the middle and the crank usually gets bent on the flywheel side. Its a bummer coz I'm not sure what to do about it now that I have my crank out n all that. Before I took it all the way down, I was having fun spinning the crank by pushing the rod. I had it going pretty fast, lol. Well, I noticed then that my crank was pretty bent. It didn't surprise me.

Sometimes I feel like I'm just barking up the wrong tree with these small cc quads. No matter what, there is always going to be a weak link. That Lakota on the other hand is built for war! That crank must weigh as much as a car battery. But, unfortunately, the whole quad weighs 450 lbs too. You couldn't destroy it though unless you ran it without oil for a long time.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Ah i jump stuff but i run a very loose chain. Way looser that anybody i ride with. I would figure if my chain was adjusted to factory spec it would snap stuff too. I have seen many a 230 since i got mine and 50% of them smoked 40% had a LOCKED rod or a hole from rod goin threw. the other 10% were nice barely ridden quads. none had a busted crank.. Theres a few quadspoert on the bay goin cheap. Anybody remember what the two wires coming from mag to lite hook up to? I know the red but cant figure out the other and lite is real dim

Old 07-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I don't know if a loose chain will help or not.... Its not the landing really, its the speeding up of the wheels and engine and then having them stop suddenly by hitting concrete or something solid like that. Its the case of the immovable object meets the irresistable force, lol. Same thing happens in lawnmowers that slam into a steel rod or big rock in the yard. The crank doesn't break, it just bends or twists around the rod bearing joing the 2 halves of the crank together. Then, the rod isn't centered right and the piston wears out faster (or rod breaks and pokes out the case). That's what Vince told me and it makes pretty good sense considering how the crank is pressed together. If one side of the crank stops suddenly, the other side will try to keep spinning unless that press-fit rod bearing can stop it. If it can't, the 2 halves of the crank get misaligned (ie bent crank). Mine was bent pretty bad. I could see it easily and didn't have to use any fancy dial indicators and v-block to measure warpage. Right before I tore mine apart it was running pretty good. It was just smoking is all and I was anxious to install a BB kit. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But, I do remember the engine vibrating so bad that all the engine mounts came loose one day. Now I see why. I also see why my hands were always aching after a good ride. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Here's a diagram I found online:

Old 07-21-2008, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

Oh i got ya now. mine shakes pretty good also. i am trying to get my other motor tore down so i can get the hot rods kit put in it

Old 07-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

I wonder how a quadsport would run with a dr 200 head and carb. Looks like same bolt pattern and pretty much looks same head but chamber looks smaller. the carb i believe is a accelerator pump carb and is 33mm

Old 07-21-2008, 01:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 270quadsportguy

Oh i got ya now. mine shakes pretty good also. i am trying to get my other motor tore down so i can get the hot rods kit put in it</end quote></div>

The Hot Rods kit looks pretty good: http://www.bikebandit.com/product/A5307203

But Vince was telling me last time that they were made in Taiwan. He said, "You wouldn't buy a tool made in Taiwan would you?" Made sense to me, but when you compare it to Vesrah, the Hot Rod looks better. http://www.bikebandit.com/product/A5307414

I'm going to talk to him again about it and see what brand he installs.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 270quadsportguy

I wonder how a quadsport would run with a dr 200 head and carb. Looks like same bolt pattern and pretty much looks same head but chamber looks smaller. the carb i believe is a accelerator pump carb and is 33mm</end quote></div>

I don't know.... I think this has come up before. Are the ports bigger or smaller? Smaller chamber = more compression. That's good I think. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Come to think of it, if the chamber is smaller, the valves would almost have to be smaller as well. 33mm carb seems kinda big for a 28-30mm intake valve.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Range Rover

ok I got a photobucket account and all of the images I took with my camara do not come up when I open the folder. well a few do but not many. every pic I downloaded i can do. I will have to research more I guess. All of my images are jpg files so thats not the issue. Thought I would check it out with a joke of sorts. &lt;a href="http://s50.photobucket.com/alb...unnyOsamabinLaden.jpg" target="_blank"&gt;&lt;img src="http://i50.photobucket.com/alb...unnyOsamabinLaden.jpg" border="0" alt="bin laddin chase"&gt;&lt;/a&gt; see if that does anything

Old 07-23-2008, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

ok that was wrong i guess. The second link there I was trying to put right on this page. oops. the first one apperently opened the folder to all that I just downloaded to photobucket. i dont know sorry.did you guys check out marge ******* homer from the first link. dont remember who sent me that video. lol

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.