Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

I don't know if 250R arms will fit as easily as 250S arms. You can make anything work if you are a decent fabricator. But I don't even know how much longer 250R arms are. 250S arms are plug n play basically.

</end quote></div>

So I'm kind of figuring out the 250S arms are pretty tough to find (or I'm just not looking in the right places). So they, paired with the 250S shocks fit good but the bushing on the shock is too wide for the 230 mount?

How about the brake lines? from the looks of it they've got a little extra to play with. And do you just get a set of 250S tie rods?

Old 01-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think with all of us looking for 250S front components they will get even more rare and hard to find! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I hope you find some ATVman.

Heare some picks of the new one starting to get striped down, and of a factory label that gave instructions on proper usage of the choke control **** and lever, if some of you have seen this I apologize, I never did and thought it was interesting.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvman29

thanks guys and randy, I have to disagree about the gold rims, they're honestly probably my favorite part! [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Well, you have to gold plate the engine to make it match then. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Just kiddin... What do I know... I ran around with gold front rims and polished AL back ones for almost a year!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

I don't know if 250R arms will fit as easily as 250S arms. You can make anything work if you are a decent fabricator. But I don't even know how much longer 250R arms are. 250S arms are plug n play basically.

</end quote></div>

So I'm kind of figuring out the 250S arms are pretty tough to find (or I'm just not looking in the right places). So they, paired with the 250S shocks fit good but the bushing on the shock is too wide for the 230 mount?

How about the brake lines? from the looks of it they've got a little extra to play with. And do you just get a set of 250S tie rods?</end quote></div>

They only made the 250S for 2 yrs.... And the 2 yrs they made them was kind of a slow economy/recession era. So, there's not many out there.

The 250 shock is 2 inches longer and the bottom bushing is a little wider and won't fit in the 230 arm. The top bushing is the same as the 230.

I don't know if the 230 brakelines will stretch enough with the 250 arms or not. They might. I know with my +3 arms I used to have, I had to extend the lines. +2 would probably be close.

The 250 tierods should work. It might be wise to verify the part numbers are the same for the ends first. I don't think they're different though.

MMZUKI might be the one to ask since he's the only one to fit the 250 arms to the 230 frame that I know of.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: UGLY88

I think with all of us looking for 250S front components they will get even more rare and hard to find! [img][/img] I hope you find some ATVman.

Heare some picks of the new one starting to get striped down, and of a factory label that gave instructions on proper usage of the choke control **** and lever, if some of you have seen this I apologize, I never did and thought it was interesting.

Name:  IMG_8413.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  164.7 KB</end quote></div>

Never saw that sticker before. Cool.

My plastics were painted 3 different colors with house paint. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

hmmm, I might have found something here.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/rvs/977299060.html
">http://minneapolis.craigslist..../977299060.html
</a>

hopefully the suspension is in good shape

Old 01-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

you can get nerf bars at dennis kirk for 135.99. They're pretty sweet. Sure they add a little weight but they also add a LOT of style and some function. The only downside was the bolts that came with my kit were about 50mm too short!! Home Depot carried the right size though. Here's the link:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/...d=106&leafCatId=10609

Oh and Dennis Kirk is a terrific company, I've bought tons of stuff from them with noting but success.

I actually received my DG Nerf Bars TODAY!!!! I got them here
http://www.traxms.com/Merchant...9-0120&Source=Froogle

They actually rang up to $119.00 plus shipping was just under $130, and they got here FAST! Look GREAT, by the way, the Blue Zuk looks GREAT!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

Guess I should have posted this first, sorry, new-b!
Hello all! I am a NEW-B to the site, SUPER EXCITED about having my 86 LT230s, LOVE THE **** out of it! I recently came across an apparently common "Issue" for these bikes, After 5 days of KILLER RIDDING back at home for the Holidays, the chain all the sudden jumps off, this seems a little strange to me because it has NEVER done this. I jump off and start the chain back on, then push the quad to get it on the gears so I can get it back to the truck were the tools are. Anyways, I go around the first corner and it jumps off again, only this time it hits the left side case, and well you know the rest. After reading through the forums a little (post a google search for info on the 230) I decided this is a site I HAD TO JOIN!! I see there is a true wealth of knowledge here from which I can learn! So, I also came across Vince's Cycle, and saw this plastic protector for the chain, I IMMEDIATELY picked up the phone to call him, only to find out that the web site hadn't been updated in a WHILE, and he didn't actually have a lot of the parts on the site I DESPERATELY want that Plastic chain protector so if ANYONE has an extra one they would be willing to sell in order to keep another 230 running hard, let me know!!!!! At any rate, I ordered three white plastic chain guides he said were of high quality. I ordered a BRAND NEW Suzuki left side engine cover with gasket and oil seal (came to $209.66 total with shipping, Vince told me this price recently DOUBLED) ) I also ordered a COMPLETE swing-arm bearing kit, rear Wheel Bearing kit, Brand new (Factory) Front and rear Sprocket, and an "O-ring" style Chain, and a BRAND NEW set of DG Nerf Bars!!! Is there anything else i need to get to ensure that I will not break this VERY EXPENSIVE Left side engine cover again???? Also, I am a little short of cash for a few weeks due to recent purchase of all the parts, so i cant afford a repair manual. Yeah, i know, should have ordered the manual before the Nerf Bars, but I was told they are a RARE FIND, so i grabbed them Anywho, any advice on how easy the install of all these parts will be? ANY ADVICE would be GREATLY APPRICIATED especially because I won't have a manual at my disposal. Thanks again in advance, REALLY EAGER to get back on the trails!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

hmmm, I might have found something here.

http://minneapolis.cra...st......html

</a>

hopefully the suspension is in good shape</end quote></div>

LOL, "needs rear fender"... They all do. Something with that plastic on those quads... They just fall apart. Can't find aftermarket ones either. Have to buy OEM.

I'd get it! Try to figure out a way to use the 230 plastics, gas tank, and seat.

Tell them you can't find plastics except for $600 since they only made it 2 yrs and offer them $500.

Even if you pay 700, its still worth it. Those things are only going to go up in price as they get older. The list of improvements over the 230 is too long, but basically its everything you can think to do to your 230 already done to the 250. 246cc, cam, porting, clutch, rod, rod bearings, swingarm bolt, longer axle, a-arms, shocks, fixed 4th gear,, etc, etc.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 86LT230S

Guess I should have posted this first, sorry, new-b!

Hello all! I am a NEW-B to the site, SUPER EXCITED about having my 86 LT230s, LOVE THE **** out of it! I recently came across an apparently common "Issue" for these bikes, After 5 days of KILLER RIDDING back at home for the Holidays, the chain all the sudden jumps off, this seems a little strange to me because it has NEVER done this. I jump off and start the chain back on, then push the quad to get it on the gears so I can get it back to the truck were the tools are. Anyways, I go around the first corner and it jumps off again, only this time it hits the left side case, and well you know the rest. After reading through the forums a little (post a google search for info on the 230) I decided this is a site I HAD TO JOIN!! I see there is a true wealth of knowledge here from which I can learn! So, I also came across Vince's Cycle, and saw this plastic protector for the chain, I IMMEDIATELY picked up the phone to call him, only to find out that the web site hadn't been updated in a WHILE, and he didn't actually have a lot of the parts on the site I DESPERATELY want that Plastic chain protector so if ANYONE has an extra one they would be willing to sell in order to keep another 230 running hard, let me know!!!!! At any rate, I ordered three white plastic chain guides he said were of high quality. I ordered a BRAND NEW Suzuki left side engine cover with gasket and oil seal (came to $209.66 total with shipping, Vince told me this price recently DOUBLED) ) I also ordered a COMPLETE swing-arm bearing kit, rear Wheel Bearing kit, Brand new (Factory) Front and rear Sprocket, and an "O-ring" style Chain, and a BRAND NEW set of DG Nerf Bars!!! Is there anything else i need to get to ensure that I will not break this VERY EXPENSIVE Left side engine cover again???? Also, I am a little short of cash for a few weeks due to recent purchase of all the parts, so i cant afford a repair manual. Yeah, i know, should have ordered the manual before the Nerf Bars, but I was told they are a RARE FIND, so i grabbed them Anywho, any advice on how easy the install of all these parts will be? ANY ADVICE would be GREATLY APPRICIATED especially because I won't have a manual at my disposal. Thanks again in advance, REALLY EAGER to get back on the trails!!!!!!!!!</end quote></div>

Welcome!

Did Vince keep you on the phone for hrs? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I called him last year and he was already out of everything back then. Oh well... Ended up talking for hrs about these quads and I learned quite a bit. I try to kick him some business whenever I can because he's so helpful.

Man, I tried everything to keep my chain on and after a year of screwing around I finally did this:

Name:  DCP_3091.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  108.3 KB

No way its coming off now! That's a warrior chain guide and I made the mount from angle-iron and welded it on.

You should inspect ALL the parts in your swingarm. You might need a new bolt:

Name:  aDCP_1817.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  72.0 KB

Or worse. You may have a bent swingarm:

Name:  aDCP_1814.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  aDCP_1813.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  62.9 KB

I made a case-saver from a piece of steel. It works great. Not as pretty as those white plastic ones, but it takes a beating without cracking the case. You can also buy them for a few bucks from bikebandit.

Name:  aDCP_1792.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  102.7 KB

That red thing in the pic.... That doesn't work so well. It kinda works... Long enough that you "think" it works and then one day BAM! I took it off and threw it on a shelf. Not sure what to do with it now.

You shouldn't need a repair manual until you tear into the engine. Anything else you can just ask here. [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.