Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvman29

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

That should work. Not sure how much of that camber you're going to get rid of though. You might have to gull-wing the top a-arm to pull in the top of the tire.</end quote></div>

We could probably figure out with some math....but I'm not at home so I can't get any measurements.

And the thought of a "gull wing" style crossed my mind too. I could vertically cut the mounts, bend them up, the cut a triangular piece and weld it in there. But that would have to be after I made the new bracket since this one doesn't have a horizontal top. It would bend up and forward. :/

I'll probably ride it a few times to see how it goes though first.

Can you buy the tool to adjust the preload on the 250S shocks? Mine are set all the way firm and I don't think they need to be.</end quote></div>

That was something I've been wondering too - about adjusting the shocks...mine are set fairly stiff, and they're great for high speed stuff, but I'd like to maybe soften them up a bit for low speed and find a happy medium if there is one...? Good question atvman! [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

That should work. Not sure how much of that camber you're going to get rid of though. You might have to gull-wing the top a-arm to pull in the top of the tire.</end quote></div>

We could probably figure out with some math....but I'm not at home so I can't get any measurements.

And the thought of a "gull wing" style crossed my mind too. I could vertically cut the mounts, bend them up, the cut a triangular piece and weld it in there. But that would have to be after I made the new bracket since this one doesn't have a horizontal top. It would bend up and forward. :/

Can you buy the tool to adjust the preload on the 250S shocks? Mine are set all the way firm and I don't think they need to be.</end quote></div>

Damn... 80 degrees here! I'm sweatin my *** off working outside splitting firewood! [img][/img] [img][/img]

Anyway,,,, I gull-winged mine with a hydraulic jack and some chain. The reason I did that was to make the front wheels go down more without binding the balljoints. Since you're willing to cut n weld, you might as well cut a hunk out of the top arms and weld it back up. I was just thinking of gull-winging yours to keep from welding.

I use a BIG pair of channel-locks to adjust the shocks. I guess you can buy a special tool though...

I keep my shocks all the way loose and adjust the geometry to make them stiffer or softer. Just seemed like it would be better not having a big preload on the springs.</end quote></div>

Well, I guess I'll see how it goes. I'll loosen the preload and then see it it levels out enough when I'm on it. Then go from there.

Bet you wish you were here working, it was 23 degrees this morning.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Oh and I wonder what ever happened to that guy who got the 250R arms. I wonder if they were even close to fitting.</end quote></div>

Which one? There's been a few guys with that idea.

I thought we decided the frame was wider on the 250r and the a-arms were probably the same as the 230/250?</end quote></div>

Yeah we had thought they wouldn't give it much more width because of the wider frame, and it was that guy with the Heath Ledger Joker avatar. Can't remember his name, maybe just like 86LT230S or something.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Quadsport_Scotty

That was something I've been wondering too - about adjusting the shocks...mine are set fairly stiff, and they're great for high speed stuff, but I'd like to maybe soften them up a bit for low speed and find a happy medium if there is one...? Good question atvman! [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Yeah, I mean I know I COULD adjust them, but I don't want to ruin my sexy new paint job on them! lol

Old 03-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

Randy, you done with your paint job and stuff yet??

Old 03-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Randy, you done with your paint job and stuff yet??</end quote></div>

No, I haven't done anything to it yet since the last time you asked. Fender still hanging there by the wood stove. I started working on the engine though. Finally found something to get the paint off and now I'm kinda working on shining it up. Not sure how far I want to take it, but I try to spend at least a minute or 2 each day polishing.

Too many other chores to do if I have any time n energy. Spring is coming fast and I have to get the honeysuckle and poison ivy out of the blueberry bushes before they put on flowers. Finally got all the wood split so it can dry by next winter. Got tons of yard work to do! Have a list around here somewhere.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Anyway, I can't ride it until I finish cleaning it and take a pic. So, you'd think that would be motivation to get er done. Now that its warm, I really wanna ride too!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Oh and I wonder what ever happened to that guy who got the 250R arms. I wonder if they were even close to fitting.</end quote></div>

Which one? There's been a few guys with that idea.

I thought we decided the frame was wider on the 250r and the a-arms were probably the same as the 230/250?</end quote></div>

Yeah we had thought they wouldn't give it much more width because of the wider frame, and it was that guy with the Heath Ledger Joker avatar. Can't remember his name, maybe just like 86LT230S or something.</end quote></div>

Yeah, I remember him. He's been gone for a while. That's the way it usually goes on this thread.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Quadsport_Scotty

That was something I've been wondering too - about adjusting the shocks...mine are set fairly stiff, and they're great for high speed stuff, but I'd like to maybe soften them up a bit for low speed and find a happy medium if there is one...? Good question atvman! [IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

Yeah, I mean I know I COULD adjust them, but I don't want to ruin my sexy new paint job on them! lol</end quote></div>

Can you use a punch and hammer?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You guys might remember me talking about my friend that broke his arm recently.... And you might remember me mentioning I hung my water-filled punching bag (70lbs) in the garage.... Well, just incase you can't tell where this story is going, he just got his cast off a few weeks ago and decided to punch the bag a few times while I was in the house. His arm looks like a cat's back leg now! Ouch! What a damn raw deal that was. He was all set for some summer riding and now he's facing surgery. What luck....

Old 03-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

Can you use a punch and hammer?</end quote></div>

Yeah, that might work. I'll have to play around with it a little. Maybe even the vise and a towel will be fine.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.