Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

So I ran over my foot again from slipping off my worn out pegs, and decided to fix them up with a little ghetto fabrication

my worn out death pegs

$4 in reciprocating saw blades ( some of you may see where this is going )

measured and cut to length

finished product

I also cut the end of the peg and bent it up before welding the monstrosities together - they grip great and and don't seem like they will cut my feet in half, and maybe I can use them if I need to cut some fire wood when camping

Old 03-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

That's sweet man! Nice work! Can't go wrong with dual purpose pegs! lol

Old 03-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey how everyone doing i got my lt 230 awhile ago about a couple of months shes seen better days i assume but curentlly i lost the drain plug on the carb and the main needle jet seems to be bent but its been fun to tinker on that's for sure. currently I am thinking about mounting a Hella 500 fog light and driving beam on the front because i don't really want to put the plastics back on for now. but i seem to have run into some slight problems. it seems the previous owner has removed all of the light harness that comes from the clutch side. and the light switch is worn so i don't know which side runs the high and low or the on or off switch. can anyone give me a hand. and ill try to get some pictures of my 230 up.
thanks. Mike

Old 03-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: fujative06

hey how everyone doing i got my lt 230 awhile ago about a couple of months shes seen better days i assume but curentlly i lost the drain plug on the carb and the main needle jet seems to be bent but its been fun to tinker on that's for sure. currently I am thinking about mounting a Hella 500 fog light and driving beam on the front because i don't really want to put the plastics back on for now. but i seem to have run into some slight problems. it seems the previous owner has removed all of the light harness that comes from the clutch side. and the light switch is worn so i don't know which side runs the high and low or the on or off switch. can anyone give me a hand. and ill try to get some pictures of my 230 up.

thanks. Mike</end quote></div>

Do a search on this forum and you can find the wiring diagram for these wheelers. They're amazingly simple. Just an FYI, there's a limit on the wattage the lighting coil can handle so I wouldn't go over 50W. Stock, the vehicle has a 45W headlight and the taillight is 5W.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks my Hella's are rated at 55w a pair so i figured that they should be able to run them as a high and low but not both at once. i have a clymers (sp) guide for the Suzuki and looked at the wiring diagram on that and it just says that the switches are there but not which side there on i know one on each side but i don't know more then that due to my switches being worn out and beat up.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvman29

Awfully quiet around these parts the last couple of days!</end quote></div>

I haven't been getting notifications. I just happened to check in today.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvman29

Oh my goodness guys! Check this sweet *** thing out! It was posted over on the Honda forums!

http://forum.treasurenet.com/i...13971.0/topicseen.html</end quote></div>

That is cool! I guess it couldn't compete with the tracked vehicles so it was lost in time.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: nummbr7

So I ran over my foot again from slipping off my worn out pegs, and decided to fix them up with a little ghetto fabrication

[snip]

I also cut the end of the peg and bent it up before welding the monstrosities together - they grip great and and don't seem like they will cut my feet in half, and maybe I can use them if I need to cut some fire wood when camping</end quote></div>

I also got tired of slipping off all the time, so I just sharpened the teeth with an abrasive disk on an angle-grinder. Yours is a pretty creative idea though! [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Name:  scan00010.jpg
Views: 2746
Size:  169.1 KB

Old 03-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ok UG,,, I lost the piece of paper, but here's what I told you in Jan:

"Ok, I dug out the piece of paper me and my half-drunk buddy sribbled all the measurements on that day. The original idea was to find a piece of thick enough tube and machine it down from there, but my buddy brought back a finished product that was little different than the stock swingarm tube! So, I dug out that ford axle and told him to hack that up and make a tube out of it. He said the lathe was throwing sparks.

My piece of paper says 8.063 long. The ID of the holes where the bearings go is 1.144. The bearing holes go 0.824 deep. I don't know the inner diameter of the rest of the tube, but these numbers are written over to the side. .868 OD and .588 ID. I think that is the measurement of the inner bearing race. If so, that means the ID of the tube should be a little bigger than .868.

You should verify those measurements. The idea is that both inner bearing races plus the spacer tube will be bolted tight to the frame. So, since we want the swingarm to ride on those with a wee bit of slack side-to-side in the frame, you'll have to add the swingarm tube length and all the shims and seals and have the total to be a wee bit less than the total of both bearing races and spacer tube. A wee bit = .001-.002 or so I guess. You can always add shims if you need to later on.

Any decent machinist should be able to help you out if you tell him what its for. I sent all the bearings and parts with him to be sure. It came back perfect. I consider that a miracle really.

I have no idea where to get the seals. The part number is on one of my pics I posted here. A long time ago I ordered some swingarm bearings on ebay. I got the bearings, but no seals. So I emailed the guy and he quickly sent me seals. Those seals you see in the pic are those seals. When I got them, I just threw them on the shelf and figured the ebay guy was an idiot because they didn't look like the seals I got with my pivot works bearing kit. Well, it turned out the seals would work afterall on my new tube, but the pivot works ones were too small (tube was too big really). Irony, gotta love it. "

Old 03-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys, my cousin was just offered a trade for his 250X. The guy offered straight up for a 89 250S.

What do you all think?

We don't know much about it yet though.

My cousin's 250X is in decent shape. He's missing his rear brake assembly and his fronts are on the fritz. He's got a huge aftermarket carb, DG exhaust and nerfs, and handguards.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.