Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 03:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

thanks for all the info by the way, its been hard for me to find anyone thats into these things, are they popular for flat track?

Old 06-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow yagerzzz, I'd really like to see those quads youve got. I'd say I'm either going to stick with 13/39 and try that, but I want to make it a 3.00 gear ratio or just under that. Was slipping the clutch an issue with the 13/39 combo, or was it just as easy to get her going as it is stock? Possibly a little more r's and nice and smooth clutch release. When we had the motor rebuilt, we had a new carrier put in and the front bearings for the swingarm so we're ok there. What condition are the LT500's in, I've always wanted to drive one and at least look one over in person. Also what are some of the other quads you have other than the S and E models, although those would do nicely as well, my cousin is looking for a 200 to 300cc to start out with and he wants fully manual transmission. Whatever you're willing to part with would surely be a start in the right direction in finding what he wants. He's always liked my dad's and mine quadsport. You may not be selling anything, but I'd still like to see em.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a14/39 and get no slipping what so ever, so I would have to guess that a 13/39 would have an even less chance of slipping.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Are you running stock tires? and at about what does it top out at are you running? Did the acceleration suffer any?I was lookin for about a 3.00 ratio but you're 2.79, you oughta be movin good and at a comfortable rpm. any problems with the clearance around the case when you put the 14 on? thanks for all the input

Old 06-14-2006, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone who's experimented with changing their gear ratio, preferably more for speed and comfortable cruising, somewhere around 2.79-3.00, i appreciate their input on what sprocket combo you've used, and how easy it is to get the quad moving in 1st gear, I dont want to have to slip the clutch a lot or feather it too much to start it moving and driving away.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No I am not running stock tires or rims. If you check out my pics you'll be able to see I am running much smaller. I am actually running ( I believe ) 8" Dick Cepek tires. Also as for the clearence for the sprocket you'll be fine with the 14T I use one and even have the chain guard on and I have no probs what so ever.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have an 86 suzuki LT230S and i'm not getting any spark. people told me that the magneto is most likely the problem b cuz i just replace my coil and all the wires. other people told me that the magneto doesn't really go bad and that it just needs cleaned out so i was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a clarification on the chain guard clearance issue. The plastic guard to protect you feet from the chain will fit over any sprocket that will clear the case. However, this guard is not a case saver. It's only good for keeping your shoelaces out of the chain (an important thing nonetheless.) The chain guard for protecting the case is a small metal piece that bolts on underneath the plastic chain guard. It looks insignificant, but it can actually save your magneto cover if you "mildly" throw your chain. The piece is made of very soft metal that acts as a cushion if it's hit by the chain. Most of the times I've thrown a chain and didn't crack my side cover, I've had one on. It will only fit with a stock 12 tooth or smaller sprocket. IMO, if you want high gearing on this machine, use a 12 T front, and just get a very small sprocket in the rear (36 or less). It's an odd combination, but given the problems with this particular machine throwing chains and the very slim clearance of the side cover, it's what I'd recommend. If you've purchased a few of these side covers at just under $100 a piece, you'll want to error on the side of caution too.

As for the clutching issue, I never had a problem with clutch slippage when I ran 13/38 gearing on my sport, just make sure your stock clutch plates and springs are in good shape. The only excessive clutching I've ever had to do was using reverse in a tight spot or in thick mud, and that's more due to the overly high reverse gearing in the transmission IMO.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

ESeries, to answer your question, my quad collection from slowest to fastest is:

'83 ALT50 Trail buddy 3 wheeler (smallest gas powered ATV ever - less than 90 lbs). In great shape, but currently apart because I put the motor in my son's LT50.
'86 LT50 quadrunner - Pretty nice shape. Originaly motor needs rebuild, but currently runs great with the ALT motor in it (same engine).
'87 LT80 quadsport. Son's future ride. Currently restoring it. Overall shape is good. Will be excellent in a year.
'87 LT4wd. Needs a lot of work.
'88 LT4wd. Also needs a lot of work. Hoping to build 1 nice 4wd out of the two.
'88 LT300E - Most recent purchase. Pretty decent shape. Eventually will resore a little. For now , just excited to have my first running utility quad.
'87 LT230E - POS. Parts bike only.
'87 LT230E - Future project. Motor runs good. Bike's worthy of a resto.
'88 LT230E - Damn good shape. Restored for my wife. Needs some carb adjustment, but otherwise as nice as you'll find.
'86 LT230S - Future project. Will be restored to nice stock form.
'86 LT230S - Currently in good shape. This one will eventually become the one with all the goodies.
'87 LT230S - Parts bike. Sold some stuff off of it already.
'87 LT250R - Very good shape mechanically. Ported motor and very fast. Not the best plastic - little bit of a sleeper effect.
'87 LT500R - Fairly low hour machine. However, was missing the jug when I bought it. Have compiled all the parts I need to put it back together. Just haven't had time yet. This motor will eventually be ported and RX'ed and worthy of the Dr. Q pipe I have for it.
'88 LT500R - Mint stock. Nothing replaced except original chain, sprockets, and brake pads. Very few nicer original zilla's can be found. Low hours , virgin motor. Original tires have about 50% tread left.
'88 LT500R - One of the few that beats the one above [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Still has nipples on the original stock tires. Still has original chain (no master link). Literally looks like it shoulds still be on the showroom floor.

In addition to my collection, my younger brother has an '87 LT80 (which I'm currently robbing parts off of for my son's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img], an '87 LT230E, an '87 LT250R, an '88 LT250R (which he will be selling once he restores it a little), a '91 LT250R, an '87 LT500R (currently apart but in good shape - motor will probably be used in a hybrid LT250/500. Dr Q hybrid pipe already in hand), and a nice restored '89 LT500R.

I think that covers it. I could be missing a parts bike here or there. I guess you could say we're a little crazy when it comes to Suzi quads from the eighties.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

Where do I find sprockets smaller than the 39 for a 230?

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.