Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 02:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

what speed does your Quadsport top out at with the 14/39 combo? What kind of clutching does it take to get her going in 1st? And also what size are your rear tires? This wont represent what a basically bone stock bike will run but Im just looking to ballpark what mine will do and what gearing to go to with 18 inch tires and still run about 65-70. Any comments are appreciated.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry the above questions were for BigMc, but any other input is appreciated

Old 05-31-2006, 09:29 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<FONT face=Verdana size=1>ESeriesFaithful
</FONT>
Hey man, Glad you joined. It has been a while since anyone has responded to this topic.
With stock gearing and 22" rear tires it takes very little to get the machine to speed. The only clutching I do is to try and keep the front end down in 1st and 2nd.

As far as top speed........... I realy cant say. I havent run it against a machine with a speedo ( that can keep up ). But I would be confident to post a good estimate of 55 to 60 mph.

I hope this helps. And have fun with the Q.S.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, right now it runs about the same around 55 or so. But since we're wanting to run a lower gear with stock tires but not over rev the engine when we put the 18 inch tires on it, I'm thinking about a 13/39 setup rather than 12/41. Does this sound realistic or will it mean a lot of clutch slip when we're running the stock 22s? I personally think itll be just fine, but the acceleration will be a little less aggressive. I'm hoping for about 60 at a comfortable RPM for cruising in 5th gear.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

ya i just got my 88' for FREE!!! i have some work to do but otherwise it runs great and it is a smooth and fast ride!!! belive it or not we hit 65 today it was cool! wats ur top speed?

Old 06-09-2006, 08:08 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

flyguy6
65mph......man, thats flat pickin-um up and puttin-um down. And the price was right too.
" If its free.....its for me"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I dont know how much work your zuk needs, but it will make a great project quad. That is, if you like searching everywhere for that ooooooone part that you need. ( I consider it a challange myself ). I love a challange.
Proud to welcome another to the 230 group.

keepemalive........BigMc

Old 06-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good find! I second the welcome and keep us posted on any improvements you come up with or accross.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey guy, hows it goin? im so damn glad i found this forum, i own a 87 230s and am trying to reassemble the motor, im very excited about adding performance parts and learning as much as i can about my quad. What are some good parts suppliers for my suzuki? Are these popular to hop up? i am looking to smoke newer quads to show that u dont need to spend a lot of money to have fun, ill get some pics posted soon

Old 06-13-2006, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ESeries, first of all, glad to hear of a new member. I used to post on this board a lot about the 230 sport. Also, I live near New Melle, so I'm within 10-15 minutes of you. Anyway, I own 3 quadsport 230's and 3 230E's (as well as a sleu of other mid 80's Suzuki's including a few Lt500 quadzillas). My first quad ever was a 3 month old 86' sport when I was in 6th grade. Been floggin them ever since. I used to run a 13 39 tooth combo with 22" tires. Bone stock motor would run 63 mph give or take 1. Wouldn't recommend a 14 front. Very little clearance on the side cover, and can't use the stock chain guide or case saver. In fact, I'd recommend the 12 tooth front and just go way way small on the rear.

Lots of problems and solutions found over the years. Learned some the hard way, some by common sense, and some by trial and error.

Biggest problem of the 230 is the front swing arm bearings going bad. Currently have 3 with custom made/adjusted swing arms and chain tensioners. Don't ever buy a left side cover again until you've fixed this problem! Do a search on my posts to find the lengthy articles I've written.

Aftermarket motor mods are still available for this quad! As far as lighting, GOKI actually started selling their electric start kits for this quad again. (They used to advertise this product in the late 80's, and kind of disappered for awhile in the ads. They're back.) Approx $300 gets you a custom left side cover that has an electric starter motor built in, a new coil for charging the battery, and a battery box. BTW, this is nothing like the electric starter on the 230E if anyone is wondering. Different side of the motor, different cases. The GOKI kit lets you keep the stock kick starter as a backup even. Anyway, the new coil should work great for any lighting you desire since you now have a battery and a coil that charges it.

POWROLL will still sell their 273 kit, but only in sets of 4. Better have 3 other guys willing to go in with you. BTW, you can get this with compression ratios up to 12.5 to 1.

Lots of companies will still grind cams for this bike including POWROLL, LA Sleeve, FST, etc... You'll want one if you get a big bore kit.

Stock LT250 quadracer axles will fit in the 230 carrier, and give you about 3 inches of extra width. Very cheap upgrade. However, if the axle is from an 89 or newer 250, it will have bigger hub splines and require the larger hubs. 85 - 88 250 axles will work with 230 hubs. 250 rear brake disks are also an upgrade as they are .5 mm thicker than the sports and won't warp as bad (but will bolt right up.) Quadzilla disks are another .5 mm thicker, but they require a different bolt pattern and really would be overkill on a 230.

LT250/LT500 headlights are a huge upgrade over the 230 stock lights. The quadracers had more wattage and glass lenses which are much brighter. You'll need the quadracer cage also (cages look similar, but are not the same at all).

I have plans to build a radical 230, but they've been put on hold for other projects. Currently, I have a donor 230, donor 250 quadracer for parts, brand spankin new OEM 86 orange fenders with new 88 blue nose piece (will have a newer style blue frame, but have the blue 86 seat with white hollow letters). I've also got some new 86 decals. (Even got an 87 230E electric start sticker for the nose piece for the GOKI electric start upgrade), 87-88 silver aluminum colored wheels, aluminum quadracer swing arm (to be modified to work), and a few extra ideas that may or may not work. All in good time an money though. (I also have a pair of Dr Q exaust systems for some quadzilla motors waiting for some attention, so the sport may be awhile.) If it ever materializes though, it will be a very sick 230, I promise. Maybe not real trail friendly, but that's not what it's being built for. I'm shooting for the performance of a stock "sport" quad of today such as the 400EX or maybe even the Z400. A bit of a stretch perhaps, but it will be fun trying. Wish me luck, I'll need it.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey thanks buddy, im actaully in CA. I cant beleive u have to buy the big bore kits in sets of 4, that seems rediculous...... i am definitely interested in getting a stage one cam, and a pipe, and carb. right now it is taken aprt due to crankshaft problems, i was gonna send my crank to Vince at Vince's cycles tomorrow though. i bought this thing for 400 bucks, it has fastline wheels and nerf bars already which is kinda kewl. I also have the electric starter side case which u mentioned, but i have no starter..... i am probably just gonna plate it off where the atrter goes. I really would like my quad to compete with a 400ex after what u say they are capable of, i cant beleive u can make them that fast thats bad ***

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.