Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No local dealer in town Whats the difference between the hex and round main jets? bikebandit.com has the round ones for 10-12 a piece (which is ridicuous) while rockymountainatv.com has the hex for $2.24. Rockymountain only offers them in full sizes? Next step up from stock there would be a 130???

Anyone got a 115 laying around?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bashr52
No local dealer in town Whats the difference between the hex and round main jets? bikebandit.com has the round ones for 10-12 a piece (which is ridicuous) while rockymountainatv.com has the hex for $2.24. Rockymountain only offers them in full sizes? Next step up from stock there would be a 130???

Anyone got a 115 laying around?
That's why I was saying go to your dealer and pick his stock (doesn't have to be a suzuki dealer - any dealer will work). Most online places sell them in packs of 4 and charge a lot (ie bikebandit).

The hex are taller and have a bit different thread. I think the numbers are different too. Not sure.

All my round ones are drilled out. I drill my jets with wire gauge drill bits until the hole is big enough.

You may have to make a road trip to the nearest town with a dealer. Might be able to call a dealer and have him ship the jets to you.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Theres a Honda dealer close by, I'll check with them first.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by bashr52
Theres a Honda dealer close by, I'll check with them first.
If you have to order them, look online at jetsrus.com great guys too.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MMZUKI
If you have to order them, look online at jetsrus.com great guys too.
Looks like a good place. Thanks!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

First of all, to the guys I was PM'ing about selling parts to, I have sold just about everything local. Sorry fellers, I wanted to give you all the first shot and a killer deal, but for some reason people just started throwing money at me! That never happens to me and I am sorry if I lead you boys on, I hate a tease!

Randy, your cams are still coming, but "life" has gotten super busy yet again.......
BTW, hard to drain a pond that fills as fast as you can pump.

The new sport is awesome!! Showroom quality, original owner, maybe 50 hours on it, if that!

Keep up the good work guys. Wish I could participate more, but real life, ya know.........

Old 06-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Man, I don't know for sure what that hole is. Like I said before, 3 holes, one for the idle, one for the choke, and the remaining has to be for mid-topend operation. Not sure why it would lead to the seat or why it would make such a huge difference if its plugged. Not sure why adjusting the needle does absolutely nothing either.

The best I can figure is your carb is WAY lean somehow. That would explain the backfiring. The plug is probably black because of all the choking you've done. Do you have any extra main jets? I was thinking of boring one really big and sticking it in just to see if you can get the needle working. Its possible that your main jet is so small that it doesn't matter what clip you have the needle. Also, if that hole leads to the bowl like you say, then plugging the hole would cause more gas to come up the needle jet (ie same as a bigger main jet with a non-plugged hole).

If you don't have any extra jets laying around, try running it without a main jet and see what happens. If it runs better, then try fooling with the needle clip. It won't rev out all the way because the mainjet is out, but it should work better. Enough to point you in the right direction.
I removed the jet altogether, and it will rev good now at full to half choke, still dying out at no choke. I'm going to go over to the Honda shop and see about jets and pick their brains a little.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

The guy at the shop sold me a 115 jet, and said good luck this isnt going to fix your problem though. He seems to think its a missing vacuum line, although I told him there weren't any. He pretty much said I don't know without looking at it, bring it in. At $60 an hr, I'd rather buy a new carb if it comes to that

Installed the new jet, seems to run better. If I plug that hole with my finger the thing runs great, even choke off. The problem with that is it idles high and the adjusting screw does nothing to lower it...

Can someone do me a quick favor? Take the carb to air box elbow off your 230, and see how mant holes there are in the botom lip. Then put a piece of wire or something (if you can't look in them and see) into the holes and see how many are open and how many are plugged. I am thinking now there may have been a plug or something in there that fell out or was blown out at re-build. Since it seems to be sucking air there instead of through the carb throat, it may be by-passing whatever it normally draws air through, and thats why it dies. If I plugged this vacuum leak, I may be back in business. I do not know why they would drill that passage though if it was meant to be plugged?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Dealers are idiots 99% of the time. Good salesmen sometimes, but its a wonder they can dress themselves in the morning.

There are no vacuum lines. I've seen a fair amount of atvs and I have yet to see a vacuum line on any of them (vacuum line being defined as a line from the intake to the carb - as in vacuum secondaries on a holley 4-bbl).

Your problem is you need a bigger main jet and possibly a richer needle. I can't believe that exhaust is requiring so much gas though. Since you have 2 jets now and we already know the smaller one is junk, try boring it out with a 1/16 drill bit. Most guys have a 1/16 drill laying around. If you can stomach the tards at the honda place long enough to get on their good side, they might take you in the back to use their wire gauge drills to get a different size hole.

My 230 carb is on the bayou. I run the TM28 on the 230. I was going to ask how far you're going to take this project? Because, since you're doing all this carb work anyway, might as well do it to a carb that is worth it. Just a thought.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by PoolGod230
First of all, to the guys I was PM'ing about selling parts to, I have sold just about everything local. Sorry fellers, I wanted to give you all the first shot and a killer deal, but for some reason people just started throwing money at me! That never happens to me and I am sorry if I lead you boys on, I hate a tease!

Randy, your cams are still coming, but "life" has gotten super busy yet again.......
BTW, hard to drain a pond that fills as fast as you can pump.

The new sport is awesome!! Showroom quality, original owner, maybe 50 hours on it, if that!

Keep up the good work guys. Wish I could participate more, but real life, ya know.........
What are you going to do with the sport? Investment or toy?

I'm all about the pond right now. Make hay while the sun shines, they say. Sun is shining and rain has slacked off. So, I spend all my time digging and fixing stuff so I can get back to digging again. Something breaks at least once everyday. Yesterday I wore out the ball on the trailer hitch. Trailer would pop right off. The day before the briggs engine fell apart. The rockers just fell off! Before that the air cleaner fell off. Before that the axle broke on the bayou. Before that... hell I can't remember. Its always something.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.