Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got home from an overnight trip out of town to find my new manifold here finally. I had to ditch the stock clamp and run a big radiator clamp to get the new carb on tight, but it runs great now! The carb jetted as is from the factory seems to be a perfect match. That exhaust is nice too, quiet at idle, but a roar when you get on the loud button

Hopefully I can get a video of it up in the next few days or so.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bashr52
Just got home from an overnight trip out of town to find my new manifold here finally. I had to ditch the stock clamp and run a big radiator clamp to get the new carb on tight, but it runs great now! The carb jetted as is from the factory seems to be a perfect match. That exhaust is nice too, quiet at idle, but a roar when you get on the loud button

Awesome! Glad to hear it man! I'm looking forward to seeing that video.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

One thing about that muffler, is although its hollow down the middle, when the air passes through it is swirled by the baffling in there. You can stand 10-12 feet behind the thing and feel the stream of air being spiraled out of it on to your chest. I'm impressed with the design.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by atvman29
So is everyone's 230s in pretty good shape right now (besides lt230sman's)? Not a whole lot going on here lately!
I'm guessing I'm the only guy on here with the shaft drive model, but it's been running great this past month. I put straight 40w oil in it, and it still smokes some, but it's not too bad yet. I figure if I still have it and its smoking really bad, I'll rebuild the engine, but its fine for now. I think I have about $250 total in it, and it still looks like crap because of the plastics, but it is definitely ridable. One thing I noticed though, was when I drained the oil out of the rearend, it looked like silver anti-seize because there was so much metal in it. There wasn't any water though, which is good because we've been driving through a creek we cleared out several times. There's just two things I don't like about this atv though. It doesn't steer worth a crap and it beats the hell out of you because the rear-end is a hard tail. The shaft drive model is just so much different than the chain drive.

Also, I found someone on a three wheeler forum who apparently has access to quite a few service manuals. He was nice enough to scan the condensed service data for my LT230GE, and I'd bet he would be willing to do the same for the LT230S if anyone was interested. It's nice to have in pdf form.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

Went to replace my clutch plates yesterday and discovered the threads on the end of the shaft were pretty much ground to nothing,the nut holding the oneway clutch slid off. Dont know if previous owner had it off and never torqued it down or what. Probably explains why my clutch wasn't engaging right away. I need to know what size die to use to rethread. Should I go a size smaller since theres hardly any thread left? Anyone encountered this before?

How do you keep the inner part of the clutch basket,with the nut,from spinning when you try to loosen the nut? The manual says to use a conrod holder which I don't have or can't find...

thanx

Attached Thumbnails 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.-img_2590.jpg   85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.-img_2591.jpg  
Old 07-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
So is everyone's 230s in pretty good shape right now (besides lt230sman's)? Not a whole lot going on here lately!
haha, i actually got her up and running last week, i just hope everythings gonna hold up. i meant to get some pics up, but ive been distracted latley with my "new old" truck lol.

im riding tomorrow so i guess ill give a performance report afterwards.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by crcmech
How do you keep the inner part of the clutch basket,with the nut,from spinning when you try to loosen the nut? The manual says to use a conrod holder which I don't have or can't find...
hey you should be able to fish a rubber strapwrench through the outer clucth basket fingers and arround the inner clutch hub, just be sure not to break the basket.

good luck

Old 07-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bashr52

glad to hear that carb and exhaust worked out for ya, cant wait for the vid!

did you notice any performance increase yet?

Old 07-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

Would the clutch basket from an 87 quadrunner and 87 quadsport interchange?

Old 07-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

most likeley no. the E (quadrunner) uses a different clutch system than the S (quadsport).

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.