Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toadson
It just gets stuck in the up or down position for a few seconds and it then returns to the normal position. Also, there is no shifter linkage on the shaft drive model- the shifter is mounted right on the shaft. I'm planning on pulling the right engine cover off eventually to replace a gasket that someone has siliconed (I found chunks of silicone in the oil yesterday), so I'll have to check out the return spring then. Thanks for the info, and I hope the shaft itself isn't bent like Randy mentioned.
If it is bent, you can probably just pull the shifter off and slide a tube over the stub and use the tube as leverage to bend the shifter back a little. You'll never get it perfect, but maybe enough so that it shifts right. It may also leak a little oil from the seal around that stub too. If you can't find a tube, a craftsman deep well socket and extension may work. I say craftsman because you can get new ones easily if you break them.

When you get the right side cover off you'll see it has a clutch just like the sport models. But the clutch is controlled by the shift lever instead of the handlever on the sports.

Here's what my bayou looks like. I'm sure yours will be similar.

Name:  DCP_3043.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  137.7 KB

The clutch on the left is the same clutch as the sports, but the clutch on the right with the springs is the centrifugal clutch. You can see I welded nuts on for extra weight to make it engage sooner and harder.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
The guy I had bought it from initially had the racks on there so I gave them to the dealer just cause I certainly wasn't going to try to put them on the DVX! haha!

I'll have to take a look at those few things, and I had seen he had given you some credit in the article, but I'll give you a bit more.
No, that's ok. Nobody cares as long as they find what they need to know. I'm actually thinking of starting over with a different name. When I signed up I just wanted to ask what the valve lash specs were and thought I'd never be back. You see how that went, lol.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Edits have been made to the site.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
No, that's ok. Nobody cares as long as they find what they need to know. I'm actually thinking of starting over with a different name. When I signed up I just wanted to ask what the valve lash specs were and thought I'd never be back. You see how that went, lol.
What would your new name be?? It'd be a shame to lose your "Extreme Pro Rider" status! haha And man, you just turned 4000 posts! You should ask a mod if you can just change your username.

I'm going to put some pics of the DVX up on my page sometime today. I got to ride it around the yard a bit yesterday and dam...the power is just stunning.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

Oh and for all the Maple Leafs on this site, check out Rocky Mountain's new Canadian shipping policies:

Canada Shipping | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Old 06-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

What would your new name be?? It'd be a shame to lose your "Extreme Pro Rider" status! haha And man, you just turned 4000 posts! You should ask a mod if you can just change your username.
Funny as it may sound, those kinds of things just ain't that important to me. There are guys here with 40,000 posts! (and between you n me, sometimes I think the empty can rattles the most ). I may pursue that idea though, but I don't think many of the mods care for me.

New name? Not sure. You know me pretty well, what would you recommend? Since people usually get nicknames from their peer group rather than giving it to themselves n all. Ie, the fat guy of the group is coined "tiny", etc.

Btw, did you hear about the parents who let their kid grow up n choose her own name? I thought that was cool. I would not have choosen Randy. My mother wanted to be cute and name me after my grandfather, Andy.

Btw, I think this is my first post:
http://forums.atvconnection.com/suzuki/226867-85-88-suzuki-lt230s-quadsport-help-69.html#post2344064

I'm going to put some pics of the DVX up on my page sometime today. I got to ride it around the yard a bit yesterday and dam...the power is just stunning.
You're just now riding it around the yard??? I figured you'd be an old pro after this long... Ready to move up to a 700!

Old 06-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Oh and for all the Maple Leafs on this site, check out Rocky Mountain's new Canadian shipping policies:

Canada Shipping | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
I'm worried that the threat of nuclear war will drive the US dollar back up against the Canadian. Might be a good idea to take advantage of the low exchanges rates currently. The dollar has already come off its lows of 1.08 and is back up to 1.135. It could easily go back to 1.20 and still be in a downtrend.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Funny as it may sound, those kinds of things just ain't that important to me. There are guys here with 40,000 posts! (and between you n me, sometimes I think the empty can rattles the most ). I may pursue that idea though, but I don't think many of the mods care for me.

New name? Not sure. You know me pretty well, what would you recommend? Since people usually get nicknames from their peer group rather than giving it to themselves n all. Ie, the fat guy of the group is coined "tiny", etc.

Btw, did you hear about the parents who let their kid grow up n choose her own name? I thought that was cool. I would not have choosen Randy. My mother wanted to be cute and name me after my grandfather, Andy.

Btw, I think this is my first post:
http://forums.atvconnection.com/suzuki/226867-85-88-suzuki-lt230s-quadsport-help-69.html#post2344064

You're just now riding it around the yard??? I figured you'd be an old pro after this long... Ready to move up to a 700!
wow, coming up with a new name for you is going to take some time and thought! Maybe something like the 230buddha would be proper!

I hadn't heard of that kid. So what did the go by until they chose a name for themselves? Just "hey you"?

And yeah I know! At my mom's there pretty much isn't a yard, but my dad's yard has a bit more room. Although still no dirt to start doing some major sliding. I did however do an accidental power-slide on his driveway when I went ripping down it! I wanted to go to my local half-hour away drive spot last week, but I figured I should probably do one trip with people before I go alone, since I don't know this vehicle that well yet.

Next weekend we're planning a trip to get up to the cabin, I can't wait!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

wow, coming up with a new name for you is going to take some time and thought! Maybe something like the 230buddha would be proper!

I hadn't heard of that kid. So what did the go by until they chose a name for themselves? Just "hey you"?

And yeah I know! At my mom's there pretty much isn't a yard, but my dad's yard has a bit more room. Although still no dirt to start doing some major sliding. I did however do an accidental power-slide on his driveway when I went ripping down it! I wanted to go to my local half-hour away drive spot last week, but I figured I should probably do one trip with people before I go alone, since I don't know this vehicle that well yet.

Next weekend we're planning a trip to get up to the cabin, I can't wait!
Hmm, I kinda like the buddha part. Simple and humble, I try to be. But I own so much stuff. The buddhists philosophy is to go thru life with an open hand.... Grasping nothing. Not only am I grasping, but I've got it locked up in buildings with cameras and shotguns!

The kid was on the news about 5 yrs ago I guess. I've looked all over the net, I can't find anything about it. But the way I remember it, she was around 2 when she picked her name. I can't remember what they called her until then.

Take the cat to the place with the 30ft tabletop. Get some updated pics! But don't wear your best pair of undies that day.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

If it is bent, you can probably just pull the shifter off and slide a tube over the stub and use the tube as leverage to bend the shifter back a little. You'll never get it perfect, but maybe enough so that it shifts right. It may also leak a little oil from the seal around that stub too. If you can't find a tube, a craftsman deep well socket and extension may work. I say craftsman because you can get new ones easily if you break them.

When you get the right side cover off you'll see it has a clutch just like the sport models. But the clutch is controlled by the shift lever instead of the handlever on the sports.

Here's what my bayou looks like. I'm sure yours will be similar.

The clutch on the left is the same clutch as the sports, but the clutch on the right with the springs is the centrifugal clutch. You can see I welded nuts on for extra weight to make it engage sooner and harder.
Thanks for the picture, it makes a lot more sense now. Now I just need to find out if theres a way to adjust the clutch. I guess I need to find a manual or something so I know what the hell I'm doing lol.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.